PDA

View Full Version : 3-32 E. Sheep Draw Carpenter Lake to Yalakom R.

Jimbo
07-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Definitely need some help with this draw. Don't know the area very well and will probably only be able to scout it one trip in August. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gateholio
07-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Gilmore may be able to help you :)

ElectricDyck
07-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I've been up Yalakom....nice deer/bear country, hard sheep draw from the rumours I'ver heard...hopefully you get some direction...

stone sheep
07-28-2013, 12:15 PM
blue sheep creek

Hunt-4-Life
07-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Planning on going in there for deer early in sept, I'll let you know if I see anything in a particular area.

Jimbo
07-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Looks like it will be a challenging hunt. Likely going there in October.

wildcatter
07-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Check the area between French Bar Creek and Yalakom Mtn, including Nine Mile Ridge.
Also you may want to try Big Dog.

bull buck
07-30-2013, 10:18 PM
I've got the same sheep draw this year it looks like 9 mile and surrounding area (which is out of that draw zone anyway) is now closed for hunting. I'll be there for opening day but not going to get to scout it being trapped on the island.. I have no idea where to start either big country and last time I hiked big dog was 15 years ago lots probably changed now.

lovemywinchester
07-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Cant tell you where the sheep are up there but I can say its tough terrain. I mined the Bridge near the Yalakom for a few years. Lots of Grizz and big cats around. The Yalakom valley is full of pot growers , allegedly, that are very confrontational to outsiders. Especially that time of year when things are close to harvest. I have heard several stories of hunters meeting up with gun toting freaks and being told to leave. Make sure you have good tires and lots of gas as its a long way to anywhere back there.
The BC record non typ mulie came from near there so make sure you have your tags. Good luck, wish I was going with you.

BRvalley
07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
good idea to have 2 full size spares, pioneer paul might not have large truck tires if you shred/sidewall damage a couple tires, generally the road is well kept during summer tourism season but after the sept long wknd not as much...pot growers yes, large scale ops, rcmp came by tyax to inform us when I worked there to stay away from certain areas

if you see a white 150 during the GOS that'll be me...I don't think it's the best sheep area from chatting with a few more experienced hunters than me, have been there a few times in past weeks and I know where some sheep hanging out but haven't found one that is a full curl shooter yet

Jimbo
08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Scouting trip coming up. Still time to chip in with info and tips.

Thanks.

08-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Bottom Line, your in tough .... they are there but your in tough, keep close eye on Talus slopes, timber area's as well as some open range ....... look to north sides if the weather remains hot ....... glass glass and more glassing ......... white asses and nose tend to show well but remain hidden just as easy. Look also in the ugliest pieces of real-estate you can find . We hunted them not far from there and as said ...... it can be a tough hunt. Be prepared to take LOTS of water too it can be an issue in that country.

Good luck ...... 3/4 or better is a bit of a reprieve from F/C

CT

swampthing
08-17-2013, 08:16 AM
I was up that way recently and the road is in the best shape I have ever seen it in.