PDA

View Full Version : Help with value of flyfishing gear please

Krico
07-27-2013, 04:52 PM
I've been out of the loop :-D on flyfishing for a while now. Got a few things I'm considering moving to support current interests.

1. Sage XP 8 weight 4 piece travel rod, mint condition, with Sage Rod Tube, used once (honestly...)
2. St. Croix Legend 6 weight 2 piece (this model is from when they too had the unlimited lifetime warranty) in very good condition, just a couple scratches
3. Scientific Anglers System 2 8/9 reel, probably fished 6-8 days, SA sink tip line included
4. Fish Cat 9 Lite pontoon boat, has motor mount, gear bags, and oars. Very good condition.

What are these things worth???

Sofa King
07-27-2013, 09:50 PM
probably worth $50 for the lot.
i'll avoid you a lot of hassle trying to sell and give you $60 right now.

you've got some good stuff there.
probably easier and more accurate to look it up online and price it accordingly.
that said, everything's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it.

steel_ram
07-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Tough call. Sage are constantly upgrading there rods. A lightly used rod, is still a used rod being almost impossible to guarantee a blank doesn't have a possible fatal crack from a errant fly. Lifetime warranty only covers the original owner. If it looks mint I try it at 1/2 full retail, not much more.

ruger#1
07-28-2013, 01:24 PM
2. St. Croix Legend 6 weight 2 piece (this model is from when they too had the unlimited lifetime warranty) in very good condition, just a couple scratches
I have bought these in 3WT for $100 Very good rods. The ultra legend that I have in 6WT is a peice of junk. It looks perty. Do you have the tubes for the rods?

Krico
07-28-2013, 01:48 PM
I have bought these in 3WT for $100 Very good rods. The ultra legend that I have in 6WT is a peice of junk. It looks perty. Do you have the tubes for the rods?

Yes both rods in original tubes, with sleeves. If being "slightly used" drops value that much maybe I should just snap them in half and get my free warranty replacements, then sell as new or trade. Not what the warranty is meant for but the warranty is built into the ridiculous price of these things.

Purchased in the days before wife and kids, I'd never spend the coin on one of these now. Will always keep the custom 5 weight I built on sage XP blank. Fav rod ever.

ruger#1
07-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes both rods in original tubes, with sleeves. If being "slightly used" drops value that much maybe I should just snap them in half and get my free warranty replacements, then sell as new or trade. Not what the warranty is meant for but the warranty is built into the ridiculous price of these things.

Purchased in the days before wife and kids, I'd never spend the coin on one of these now. Will always keep the custom 5 weight I built on sage XP blank. Fav rod ever.Get what you can for them. I would also look at them on Ebay. Sorry if I insulted you. I paid for my first 3WT $289. plus tax. My other one that was used I paid $100.

Moe.JKU
07-28-2013, 02:19 PM
If being "slightly used" drops value that much maybe I should just snap them in half and get my free warranty replacements, then sell as new or trade. Not what the warranty is meant for but the warranty is built into the ridiculous price of these things.
No wonder the warranty costs so much on those rods.

Krico
07-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Hey ruger#1 no offense taken. All good. Just considering moving stuff, not ready to let go, just yet...

And Moe, don't worry, I'm not serious. But there's no way Sage rods are worth what is charged for them...unless you get at least one free replacement. I've owned several, and never sent a single one in for warranty. I know a guy who broke two in one day, by accident. You pay for warranty up front, just like with Leupold and countless other companies out there with no fault warranty. They have the expected cost of warranty built into the sale price.

doubled
07-31-2013, 12:54 PM
I thought Sage was a lifetime warranty regardless of owner. I wasn't the original owner and I have sent three back over the years.