PDA

View Full Version : Bull Moose Draw for 6-02 Zone B

Sooke Hunter
07-27-2013, 07:55 AM
My buddy and I mistakenly selected and were successful for the above mentioned area (Sept 1 - Oct 19). We have never been to the that neck of the woods before and would appreciate any info regarding places to set up camp and hunt. Directions on how to get there via the highways would be great as well. Have not had a successful draw in 5 years.....pretty excited about the opportunity.....we entered the wrong number on our LEH cards and this is where we are headed! Never hunter in Region 6 before....have hunted 5-12 and 13. Is it possible to access 6-02 B from Highway 20? Thanks for your help!:-D:-D

Caribou_lou
07-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Im not familiar with this area either. But I do hunt 6-8 alot. If I were wanting to go out and call in a bull I'd be out first cold morning late September. 25th of Sept has always been productive! Straight through to the 10th of October should be great hunting.

Sooke Hunter
07-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks Caribou_lou....it looks like access into 6-02 B is by boat only.....is there any off road access?

.257mag
07-28-2013, 08:18 PM
all boat access hunted there for years lots of moose but hard to get to without a decent boat

decker9
07-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Yup all boat access. Iv never hunted moose out there but been there many times. Take hwy 35 out of burns lake, across the ferry, about 15-20 mins off the ferry, take a right on keefes landing road to ootsa lake, just stay on that road it will turn in to wistaria road. Can't remember how far, about 1/2hr-45mins I think and you will hit a road going to the left called Andrews bay road, there's a boat launch and camp sight on ootsa lake there, probably your best bet.
Ootsa lake and white sail get big and rough, and lots of trees sticking out of the water from the lake being flooded, always keep an eye out!!, Bring a fish pole, big rainbows! J plugs, apex's and FST work the best. Troll the lake watch for moose on the shore line. Should be a great trip, like I said, just be prepared!! Late sept good chance of calling them out to the lake or near by swamps just off the lake.

Good luck!

Sooke Hunter
07-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks man...how far is the crossing? Thinking about heading across and setting up a base camp and hunting from there.....good idea or should we be in the boat looking for moose on the shoreline?

Sooke Hunter
07-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Did you cross the lake to the shore and hunt out of a base camp or troll the shoreline looking for the swamp donkeys?

Everett
07-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Zone 6-02B is North Tweedsmuir park the best way to hunt it is to fly in from Burns Lake. Wife and I had the draw last year didn't get a moose we were early and it was hot but had some of the best fishing ever for pan size Rainbows overall it was an awesome trip. Nick Hawes who owns Lake District air is a real good guy he has 2 beavers and a Cesna on Floats. If you decide to fly PM me and I will tell you what I know about the different Lakes.

Grant

Darksith
07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
PM sent, answer the question and I will give you the scoop :)

decker9
07-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Depending on how big of a boat you have, if I was in your shoes I would pack up camp and hunt the shore line, theres lots of inlets and bays along ootsa and whitesail. I'm not sure how the shore lines are in whitetail, but on ootsa you may run into some trees in the lake. check google earth for swamps close to the lake.

Like Everett said tho, your best bet given the $$ is to fly in with nick. 100% awesome guy! And he knows the area very well. He might even know of lakes with cabins on them for use or rent. It would be worth looking him up @lakes district air.
Cheers!

decker9
07-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Depending on where you go, it might be worth picking up a goat tag also! If you boat in and tag a moose early, given the weather permits, there's a piece of open goat season, on the 6-04 side of little whitesail lake. Iv been in there a couple times from the troitsa lake side, just not from the whitesail side.