PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Basin

Hunt-4-Life
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Anyone know if the trail up to Taylor Basin in 3-32 is passable by quad? Any tips appreciated.

geoskier
07-25-2013, 07:06 PM
I am pretty sure that is part of the park. That means no motorized access.

Good mule deer hunting there. Some goats up there too. When you heading there? I will be in that area quite a bit come Oct.

geoskier
07-25-2013, 07:07 PM
If you are into mountain biking, some of the best trails on earth are around there. It wouldn't be a bad way to hunt!

Bison Fats
07-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Yes the trail up to Taylor Basin is accessible by quad and is not in the park. We have dual sported up to the cabin and stayed over night. Past the cabin would not be smart as it is in the Park, you would cause damage in the alpine and run into alot of folks that wouldnt be impressed. This is a busy place with the Mtn, biking crowd. Great hikes, beautiful country.......nice mule deer

Weatherby Fan
07-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Hunted by backpack in there a few times, beautiful area, I would check the regs on the no motorized vehicle area or elevation restrictions, they may apply up there.
WF

Hunt-4-Life
07-25-2013, 08:04 PM
My understanding is no motorized vehicles above a certain elevation. My idea is to park the ATV near the cabin and backpack from there looking for a big mule deer. Thanks for the info.

I'm planning on going in there mid September. I've heard the grizzlies are on the thick side up in there. True?

geoskier
07-25-2013, 09:31 PM
I've heard the grizzlies are on the thick side up in there. True?

Yup. I have seen scads of them in the S Chilcotin. I have had several incidents there as well, including a bluff charge in the alpine. They are more likely a little further into the park (tosh, grant, little paradise, graveyard valleys.)

It is definitely one of the nicest places to hunt in BC. Such great access with all the trails.

Weatherby Fan
07-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Yes lots of Grizzlies last time up watched a sow with 3 second year cubs for a whole afternoon, needless to say no deer that evening, but see them most everytime in there.
WF

rollingrock
07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty sure motorized access is only open to the end of summer to certain point and is closed for the whole hunting season. I've been up there quite often. Check BC Park website before you ride your quad in. I don't believe you can ride your quad all the way up to the cabin by law.

Bison Fats
07-25-2013, 10:21 PM
"The road can be followed by high clearance 2wd vehicles for 1.5 km. If you have a 4x4, go straight past the 2wd parking area - do not take the left fork in the road. As of 2008, the road can be followed for another rough, scratchy 600 meters. Past this point, the road is severely eroded and only the toughest are likely to continue on four wheels." Clubtread, Taylor Basin Trail

I'm not advocating that you need to ride your quad to the cabin but if you do your research it is accessible.....

geoskier
07-25-2013, 11:40 PM
The road closures are June 1 to Dec 1st (wherever they are). Generally they are well signed in that area.

DGuest
07-26-2013, 05:52 AM
We got a goat in there last year in early September, I would have to double check my maps but I don't think the cabin is in the park. While I was hunting there was two guys hunting mulies on ATV, basically doing what your talking about, they quad in to about the cabin then start hiking. On our Hike out there was a few groups of ATV's going in, as well as some dirt bikers.

Just a heads up, there is a ton of mountain bikers using those trails, but I think the guys hunting mulies were hunting in the next basin over to the North West. I'm guessing there was far less trail traffic and the meadows back there are massive, from the ridge that leads to nea peak you can see a long ways.

rollingrock
07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
I stand corrected...my information was definitely out of date. They updated the map and allowed quads to go up to the cabin. Here is the map:http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Spruce_Lake_Vehicle_open_area.jpg