PDA

View Full Version : first moose down with my bow

Hunter325
07-24-2013, 06:45 PM
First off would like to say I am first nation status member of the FNFN Band. So here's my story: I was cruising down the road and I was hunting an area that had a forest fire last year and I drove by a pond hidden by some brush and I glanced through and I seen something unusual. So I stop slowly avoiding the skidding and shut the truck off and my girlfriend asks you see a moose and I answered I don't know yet but if it is I don't wanna spook it. So I grab my bow instead of the gun and proceed to the pond. I see an opening and see it is a moose so I start sneaking in towards the pond and lose sight. As I was sneaking into it I hear splashing thinking its all over so I just continue and start to crest the little hill and the moose is still in the water and I range it. The range read 46 yards but it was facing away so I waited and it started to leave the pond I range again and it now reads 50 and it is broadside now. So I draw and let the 430gr arrow tipped with a 100gr grim reaper razortip fly straight through the moose with a clean pass through. The moose takes a couple steps and I nock another arrow tipped with a stinger two blade and at 53 yards it passes clean through again. The moose runs a little farther and stops so I get another shot off with a montec cs at 56 yards it passes through cleanly and this go around the moose doesn't stick around it ran about 65 yards from the shot. This is my first moose ever with a bow and I was so excited I couldn't stop shaking and couldn't even speak properly to my girlfriend. I have a video of tracking my moose. Sorry it was kind of a long story but wanted to share my experience with everyone. The grim reaper it nicked the heart on the first shot. Normally my family only shoot bulls but haven't seen a bull for a long time after hunting for about a month straight. We had no moose meat left so I took a dry cow for the meat. Thanks for reading my story.
Here is a link to my video.
http://youtu.be/aytIwGl2MD4

longwalk
07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Good job. Bugs looked horrendous. Looks lke you had your work cut out for you.

rocksteady
07-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Mid july.....

Cow moose killed......

Good for you, but IBTL, betcha this goes sideways... :)

ratherbefishin
07-24-2013, 07:39 PM
''betcha this goes sideways''nope-the guy killed a moose with a bow and did it legally.Congratulations on a great shot and a clean kill.I have no issue with FN hunting for food.

..... the flys remind me why I don't hunt until October....

one-shot-wonder
07-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks for sharing!

sarg
07-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Mid july.....

Cow moose killed......

Good for you, but IBTL, betcha this goes sideways... :)
100% it will go side way< cow moose in july,
nice moose

lorneparker1
07-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Nice moose... Must be nice to hunt in july! Not.. those bugs and flies are gross! Why do you have 3 different broadheads in your quiver?

Lorne

kennyj
07-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Congratulations on your first bow moose. Good shooting!
kenny

juiceterboost
07-24-2013, 08:01 PM
congrats man hope the meat didn't spoil on you

Marc
07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Seems odd to be hunting in the heat of the summer, but good going taking your first moose with the bow!

blackford
07-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Jesus... yes this reminds me why I love hunting in the fall. Bugs galore

TheProvider
07-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Gotta love your first bow kill

Shooter
07-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Congrats. But wasn't this a month or more ago? Hopefully I get my first bow kill in about a month.

Ride Red
07-24-2013, 08:31 PM
I guess congrats on the bow kill, but I wish everyone in this great country had to follow the same laws and rules.

coach
07-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Congrats on your first bow kill. Thanks for sharing.

HarryToolips
07-24-2013, 08:34 PM
I guess congrats on the bow kill, but I wish everyone in this great country had to follow the same laws and rules.
Exactly..and considering you were doing it now just for the food hey you gotta do it I respect that..Just keep in mind the FN people who I know who get the most respect are the ones who hunt only in the fall like the rest of us but hey congrats man.

longwalk
07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
The man did it legally within his rules and rights. No doubt worked hard to recover it and is going to eat it. I have no issues with the time of year. Good job again.

monasheemountainman
07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Congrats on the moose man, good shooting with your bow! Jealous!

Hunter325
07-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Had three different heads in my quiver cuz the two blade was for a longer shot. Thanks everyone meat was good and family was happy to finally have fresh moose meat to eat and fed some elders as well with this moose. Was bad with bugs but was able to skin quarter and haul the moose out myself in 2.5 hours by myself with girlfriend supervising me. We also hunt in fall but prefer earlier season.

Everett
07-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Congratulation on a nice Moose and your more man than I killing a moose in bugs is seriously nasty. Also hats off to you for showing native harvest in a positive light. Hunting for food and to feed the elderly and doing it in a highly ethical manner.

Fella
07-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Good story thanks for sharing! Don't mind some of the grumps on here.

The Silent Stalker
07-24-2013, 10:46 PM
One Land, One Law, Equal Rights For All. What about my family and near empty freezer?

ianwuzhere
07-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Good job, will be some good eats.
Ever try a thermacell to keep the mosquitoes away? - its the only thing that ive tried that actually works- would be great for such an occasion.- Kinda expensive- like $50 to set it up for a lil while- but work great.
Thanx for sharing.

lip_ripper00
07-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Guys go back and read form rules, if its legal it's legal. Quit with the comments. I would rather see the thread kept open and have the asshat remarks removed, but it's going to to be too much work. Nice first kill with a bow.

The Hermit
07-24-2013, 11:46 PM
That first shot was great! What kind of bow and draw weight are you shooting? It didn't look like she went very far... maybe fifty yards? Archery hunting rocks!

Question... How could you tell at 50 yards that it was dry cow? Just asking because I don't think I could tell the difference at that distance.

40incher
07-24-2013, 11:48 PM
If only every FN hunter had the same concern to kill a dry cow, regardless of the time of year. Can't be bothered to watch the video. Maybe Jim Shockey could turn it into something ..... same diff' in my mind.

mbway
07-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Good job buddy. That going to be some good eats.

moosinaround
07-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Nice moose, I'm eating save-on beef till the GOS opens up for the non native hunters! Bummer, cause I like moose better than beef! Moosin

604redneck
07-25-2013, 12:02 AM
One Land, One Law, Equal Rights For All. What about my family and near empty freezer?Ya what about ur family and freezer? if u dont like the fn hunting go the **** back to the country that your ancestors came from most bands would rather live in the stone age then have all there land and animals ravaged by europeans....just my opinion of course...

604redneck
07-25-2013, 12:04 AM
And to anyone that has issues with not having enough meat for a year with our gos there is a problem there. With what you can legally hunt u should be able to fill ur freezer.

Whonnock Boy
07-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Ya what about ur family and freezer? if u dont like the fn hunting go the **** back to the country that your ancestors came from most bands would rather live in the stone age then have all there land and animals ravaged by europeans....just my opinion of course...

Same old, same old....

I'm guessing you (OP) knew some folks were not going to agree with this. Understand that posting your exploits for all to see on a hunting forum is a sure fire way to strike a few nerves. In fact, it is one of the most controversial subjects that is discussed here on HBC. I hope you were not under the impression that this was going to get rave reviews.

fuzzybiscuit
07-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Good shootin'. Those flies were nasty.

gutpile
07-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Congratulation on your first moose kill with a bow !... and with a 21 century bow.
you must have been starving !

hunter1947
07-25-2013, 04:24 AM
Very good shooting with your bow and for having the paytions to wait in order to get a good shot some very good eating meat on the ground ,the fly's bring back memories when I shot a bull moose a few years back on Aug 16th the fly's where on my moose by the hundreds ,,I don't think there fly's but some kind of other small fly maybe you know what they are called ???.

Very well done on getting your first moose with a bow and with a 21 century bow ,,, you will never forget this day and time and where you shot this fine animal ,,this wording is to any members that don't like what this native did keep your thoughts to yourself he has did nothing wrong and deserves credit for what he had achieved if you don't like it to bad you want to blame someone talk to our government they set the rules for native hunting not natives,,congrats to you my friend getting your first moose with a bow..

Hunter325
07-25-2013, 04:58 AM
That first shot was great! What kind of bow and draw weight are you shooting? It didn't look like she went very far... maybe fifty yards? Archery hunting rocks!

Question... How could you tell at 50 yards that it was dry cow? Just asking because I don't think I could tell the difference at that distance.

I'm shooting a bowtech assassin 72lbs and she did only go about 50 yards

Kudu
07-25-2013, 06:34 AM
I'm shooting a bowtech assassin 72lbs and she did only go about 50 yards

God hunting there mate - nice harvest - nice use of your meat.

ratherbefishin
07-25-2013, 07:04 AM
to the people who say''same country-same rules'',I am 65 now ,I have special privileges people under 65 don't have-I pay less for my licence now,I have special tax exemptions people under 65 don't have and I even have special''seniors''seasons....you do what I can do and you're going to get fined.Fact is-the guy shot a nice moose and he did it legaly-end of story.Give the guy some credit-he put out the effort to become proficient with a bow,hunted,shot ,recovered and butchered his moose and shared some meat .He took his girlfriend along-some day I hope he takes his kids along,and passes on his traditions and values to them that were passed on to him.The only thing that wasn't traditional was he butchered the moose himself and his girlfriend supervised-in the old days his woman would have done it[thats ''progress''for you]

As for the heat-I know one party who went out on the early opening-shot 3 bulls and lost half of the meat.Maybe if they had just taken one animal and properly cared for it-they wouldn't have wasted half of it-but it was all legal...

ps-Would you think better of him if he cashed a welfare cheque and went to the supermarket?

RBooth
07-25-2013, 07:11 AM
So I am assuming all the people on here are complaining about the hot weather hunting for the right reasons and non of them hunt elk or mule deer in September? What's the difference between a legal moose harvest in July or a Sept 10th kill, specifically elk and mule deer? All the game I've shot in September has been in the neighborhood of 25-30 degrees. There is not a whole lot less flies in September than July when you get game down. Within the hour there are hundreds of flies hovering around a kill in September below 5000'. Haven't had an issue with meat yet. Maybe I should take the complaining in this post as a warning I'm doing it wrong and wait for snow to fall?

I don't see the need for the comments regarded the heat and telling a person his meat is spoiled. No it's not ideal conditions; Yes the meat will be just as good as an October kill if handled properly. Stop being jealous IMHO.

Congrats on your first moose with a bow and a load of tasty meat! Pay no attention to the haters, they're just jealous they're out of meat and you've got a freezer full!

sawmill
07-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Congrats on your bowkill!I reckognize some of those bugs,they were the same ones that were driving me crazy when I was skinning a grizzly in hot weather in late May years back in Hazelton.

Darksith
07-25-2013, 08:44 AM
How do you tell a cow is dry? Would like to learn something here.

dingdongdenny
07-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Congrats on your bowkill!I reckognize some of those bugs,they were the same ones that were driving me crazy when I was skinning a grizzly in hot weather in late May years back in Hazelton.
good eyesight I wouldn't be able to recognize them,lol.they flew a long ways too.

Hunter325
07-25-2013, 09:04 AM
When a cow is dry it means that she has no calf with her either didn't have one this spring, predators got the calf or she is a last years calf and not old enough to breed yet. That is what I was taught.

geoskier
07-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Nice job buddy.

I am 100% in favour of FN hunters taking animals in whatever season they need. I am not super enthusiastic that it was a cow but nonetheless, you have the right. I do feel that more conservation education should be taught on reserves. I do have a FN friend that I employ and he basically taught me to hunt. He has also told me stories of hunting trips where 5 goats were taken (1 billy, 2 nannies, 2 lambs). To me this is just a lack of education. I don't think he would have done this if we knew that he might not be able to hunt goats there again (ever). If things like this keep on happening, there wont be wildlife populations in the future. This may have been sustainable 300 years ago before increased pressure but it is definitely not in today's world. As for taking a cow in the fort nelson area, I don't think it is a major conservation issue. Taking a cow around Williams Lake is another issue...

Either way; good shot and I am sure your family was pleased.

358jess
07-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Don't see how anyone can be complaining about an empty freezer when a generous spring bear season just closed not that long ago. If you snub your nose at that idea go buy your meat and real meat Hunters will take advantage of high bear numbers.

bckev
07-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Good job, nice shooting. Gets my blood going for the fall.

Tenacious Billy
07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Don't see how anyone can be complaining about an empty freezer when a generous spring bear season just closed not that long ago. If you snub your nose at that idea go buy your meat and real meat Hunters will take advantage of high bear numbers.Not everyone likes to eat bear meat.

Darksith
07-25-2013, 09:45 AM
When a cow is dry it means that she has no calf with her either didn't have one this spring, predators got the calf or she is a last years calf and not old enough to breed yet. That is what I was taught.

I always thought a dry cow meant an old cow that couldn't produce offspring anymore. But I guess dry could mean no milk...just curious.

Wade
07-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Nicely done

Foxton Gundogs
07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I always thought a dry cow meant an old cow that couldn't produce offspring anymore. But I guess dry could mean no milk...just curious.

Dry be it moose deer elk or cattle means so baby of the year at side for what ever reason. Good job on your bow kill. For everyone who doesn't like FN hunting rights(me being one to some degree) then go after the law makers not the guy who is doing what he/she has the legal right to do. Personally I believe in 1 law for all and instead of flat first nation hunting rights there should be subsistence hunting rights(no ethnic group attatched) for anyone truely living a "pioneer" existence in the back country. IE: homesteaders, trappers, prospectors, remotely situated ranchers and yes FN people. But that's JMHO :-D

Hunter325
07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Don't see how anyone can be complaining about an empty freezer when a generous spring bear season just closed not that long ago. If you snub your nose at that idea go buy your meat and real meat Hunters will take advantage of high bear numbers.

My great great grandfather was a medicine man and his animal was bear so my family does not ever shoot bears. So we do not shoot bears at all.

Caveman
07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
My great great grandfather was a medicine man and his animal was bear so my family does not ever shoot bears. So we do not shoot bears at all.

What would happen if his or other family members animals were elk, moose and deer? Would you have to resort to being a vegetarian? Nice job on the moose by the way.

Hunter325
07-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Then we would shoot caribou beavers goats sheep and what ever else they would find to hunt thars what I would think

Darksith
07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
what about other natives in the band though, they still shoot bears...we are now leaving the realm of reality...since there are probably many people in the big scheme of things that are all different animals. What about his great great grandfather, and so on...nothing left for you to hunt or eat except mosquitos. Not trying to call anyone down or out or anything, just pointing out the facts.

Bobfl
07-25-2013, 11:13 AM
My meat is low can I go hunt in july, I am a food hunter

Hunter325
07-25-2013, 11:25 AM
what about other natives in the band though, they still shoot bears...we are now leaving the realm of reality...since there are probably many people in the big scheme of things that are all different animals. What about his great great grandfather, and so on...nothing left for you to hunt or eat except mosquitos. Not trying to call anyone down or out or anything, just pointing out the facts.

My family isn't all the reserve so if someone not related to me shoots a bear then great for them but my family doesn't and if my great great grandfather's great great grandfather was a medicine man as well and his was a moose then right now we would hunt moose but seeing as we are then i guess his wasnt a moose or he wasnt a medicine man himself.

Tenacious Billy
07-25-2013, 11:33 AM
If you've left the realm of reality, you're not pointing out any facts.......

358jess
07-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Sorry i wasn't referring to your moose kill for your freezer, no problem with that. For the guys complaining about the white man rules and there empty freezer is what i was referring to. and if you don't care for bear meat i suggest getting it processed by an experienced butcher into sausage. You'll probably be surprised. I'd take a moose over bear if i had the choice too.

Wade
07-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Sorry i wasn't referring to your moose kill for your freezer, no problem with that. For the guys complaining about the white man rules and there empty freezer is what i was referring to. and if you don't care for bear meat i suggest getting it processed by an experienced butcher into sausage. You'll probably be surprised. I'd take a moose over bear if i had the choice too.
Bear meat is wonderful if its done right. I prefer a fall bear over a spring bear, I think the meat is better when they have been eating blue berries.

sawmill
07-25-2013, 12:43 PM
good eyesight I wouldn't be able to recognize them,lol.they flew a long ways too.

Yep,they are b@stards.

sawmill
07-25-2013, 12:52 PM

How old are you boy?I guided for bear for 11 years,I have seen more f#cking wildlife IN a bear than you will see all season.You want to call me out on this?I don`t eat critters with 25 types of parasites.That`s why I haven`t shot a bear in 15 years.I don`t shoot what I ain`t gonna eat.The guy got a moose with a bow and fed a lot of family.You can have my share of those worm ridden garbage eating things.

Shooter
07-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Dry be it moose deer elk or cattle means so baby of the year at side for what ever reason. Good job on your bow kill. For everyone who doesn't like FN hunting rights(me being one to some degree) then go after the law makers not the guy who is doing what he/she has the legal right to do. Personally I believe in 1 law for all and instead of flat first nation hunting rights there should be subsistence hunting rights(no ethnic group attatched) for anyone truely living a "pioneer" existence in the back country. IE: homesteaders, trappers, prospectors, remotely situated ranchers and yes FN people. But that's JMHO :-D

Great post

Good2bCanadian
07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Nice job on your first bow kill.
Your family must be proud.

It is your rights, and I'm ok with that.

I'm hoping to bag my first deer with a bow this year.
I have some private land to hunt very close to my home in the lower wasteland.

BearStump
07-25-2013, 01:21 PM
must be alot like shooting a dairy cow with a bow. The way those cows just stand there and wait to be harvested in the mid summer heat. Glad you filled your freezer for your starving family, not "hunting" at all IMO.

KodiakHntr
07-25-2013, 01:27 PM
must be alot like shooting a dairy cow with a bow. The way those cows just stand there and wait to be harvested in the mid summer heat. Glad you filled your freezer for your starving family, not "hunting" at all IMO.

Shooting a dairy cow? Guess you don't spend a lot of time around moose?
And really, what the hell is the difference between a guy legally shooting a moose at the end of July in 20* heat, and a guy on August 15th shooting one in 20* heat? Or a guy shooting one in September in 20* heat?

358jess
07-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Haha, you are obviously very opinionated on the subject of bear meat, i won't try to change your mind. I only shoot spring bear and every stomach I've split open is nothing but green grass. I don't shoot any bear near civilization.

Jelvis
07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
hunter325 way to go on a nice lil moose with an arrow, what? Good shot hunter, you did good for the first time. Jelly Pro Vider

cariboo hunter
07-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Nice work on the moose, I want to get into bow hunting badly. How is the moose population up there? hopefully a little better than here in Willies Puddle.

Just ignore the idiot comments like the one above. His avatar picture is probably a chilliwak garbage bear he shot at the dump but he will have a story where he killed it with a pocket knife and a bunjee chord cause he is a real hunter.
I know people who have been put up a tree by moose no matter what the season. Before you go on here calling down people bearstump maybe you should no what you are talking about, moose are no dairy cows.

Phreddy
07-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Don't get me started.

Jagermeister
07-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Hook, line and sinkered. One of the best.

Phreddy
07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
I like the land I came from and several generations of ancestors came from. It's far past time the playing field got leveled.
Ya what about ur family and freezer? if u dont like the fn hunting go the **** back to the country that your ancestors came from most bands would rather live in the stone age then have all there land and animals ravaged by europeans....just my opinion of course...

Hunter325
07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Moose population is very good up here. yeah no worries I've learned to ignore people that don't like how we can hunt but oh well I have no problem with how I was raised and proud of it and thanks everyone

BearStump
07-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Wow, testy testy cariboo hunter. This is an online forum and people post threads. These threads are left open for others to read and respond with their own comments and opinions. In my opinion this is not hunting, this is a harvest(and yes a legal one). Keep your internet tough guy attitude at bay. Your mouth migh get you in trouble if you ever leave your computer screen.

cariboo hunter
07-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Have you even seen a moose? This guy put a video on here about his hunt that he is proud of and kiiling a moose with a bow he should be. you post your ignorant comment about it being like a shooting a dairy cow, so i think you are an idiot.
My mouth has got me in a lot of trouble and about half the time i could handle it the other half not so much but thats not any of your business. So if you keep your ignorant attitude at bay i will shut my mouth. If not then in my opinion you are an idiot. Bye

darrin6109
07-25-2013, 02:58 PM
One Land, One Law, Equal Rights For All. What about my family and near empty freezer?

.....grow up!

steel_ram
07-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Good thing the flies didn't carry the critter off. Can't imagine what it was like when you got the belly open.

swamper
07-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Good job on the bow kill. Any moose, cow or bull is a trophy if taken with a bow. Ignore the ignorant comments. People who have never bowhunted have no idea what is really involved. It's pretty easy to hit a moose with a .300 mag with a 9 power scope, totally different than taking one down with a bow. Congrats and hope you are over the fly bites.

olympia
07-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Dry be it moose deer elk or cattle means so baby of the year at side for what ever reason. Good job on your bow kill. For everyone who doesn't like FN hunting rights(me being one to some degree) then go after the law makers not the guy who is doing what he/she has the legal right to do. Personally I believe in 1 law for all and instead of flat first nation hunting rights there should be subsistence hunting rights(no ethnic group attatched) for anyone truely living a "pioneer" existence in the back country. IE: homesteaders, trappers, prospectors, remotely situated ranchers and yes FN people. But that's JMHO :-Dwell said, too many whiners in our society. Go after the lawmakers that you voted in(most of you dont vote anyways). Go hunt in Europe. People have the right to exercise the rights they have been given. Write some letters or start a committee to get the rules changed if you dont like....just dont sit and whine and sulk, its not manly

aggiehunter
07-25-2013, 04:58 PM
the story starts out like the mule deer hunters I talk to....haven't hardly seen any...but...still doing my level best to get one tho.......FN or not we all gotta do something to start the conservation ball rolling again.....

fearnodeer
07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Great job and I don't care what anyone thinks it you right and glad to see you put it to good use.

Moose Guide
07-25-2013, 07:58 PM
If the flies are bad, cover the meat with pepper, the finer the grind the better!!! Congratulations on some fine table fare!

bforce750
07-25-2013, 08:08 PM
If the flies are bad, cover the meat with pepper, the finer the grind the better!!! Congratulations on some fine table fare! Does the pepper mask the fly schit?

Moose Guide
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Pepper repels the flies, kills maggots and kills fly eggs!!!! One American was absolutely shocked at how pepper drove the flies off his moose meat, he was taking every scrap home and was thrilled with the care we took to make sure it was first class table fare!!!!

Salty
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Some of you guys worried about a few flies? pfft... You want to see flies watch a Tico dude in Costa Rica kill and butcher one of his huge wild boar looking pigs at about 35 degrees C on the edge of a jungle. Then you'll see some flies. But he's skilled and quick and the barbequed pork was awesome.

Anways, thanks for the post hunter325 and congratulations on taking a nice dry cow with your bow. Hope the rest of your season is good for you. Nice country you've got up there worked on rail road gangs around ft nelson yrs back...

pnbrock
07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Hmmmm l will keep it to myself. When there all gone so will the controversy.

Jelvis
07-25-2013, 08:34 PM
You drew first blood for 2013 moose with a pointy stick and now the hunting season for many is close by. Moose meat gooood. .. Can't beat moose meat for taste and style, whoa dats a good ah meat ah ball .. enjoy the blessing of real meat -- jelly Bo Deli

rides bike to work
07-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Congradulations on your first bow kill
typically people hunt with a bow for the challenge
the regulations are put out with conservation in mind as well regulates harvest and gives us limitations that make our hunts more challenging and exciting.
Many First Nations I know hunt only within the set seasons and openings as they hunt not only for food but for sport.
Again congrats on the fine meat for the family and look forward to hearing more of your hunts

Mikey Rafiki
07-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Great kill and good harvest. This makes me a lot happier than all the ribs and trim I see left out in the field these days that is spitting distance from a road. God I love ribs! My freezer was empty a month or two ago and I have done some heavy fishing and bought a handful of steaks to tide me over. We are all on the same team and let's continue to support each other.

Jimbo
07-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Sounds like there may be a conservation issue if you haven't seen a bull for about a month and the cow has no calf.

HarryToolips
07-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Haha, you are obviously very opinionated on the subject of bear meat, i won't try to change your mind. I only shoot spring bear and every stomach I've split open is nothing but green grass. I don't shoot any bear near civilization.
Exactly the bears I've experienced far enough away from people we've never had a prob with. They're just a bush pig.

BCOUTDOORED
07-25-2013, 10:17 PM
way to go!! wow the bugs were bad thanks for sharing!

hunter1947
07-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Not everyone likes to eat bear meat.

Ya your right I am one of them..

Hunter325
07-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Sounds like there may be a conservation issue if you haven't seen a bull for about a month and the cow has no calf.

There's bulls but i haven't been in the right place at the right time. My brother has only seen bulls while he's been working. I have seen quite a few cows a calves but this was first cow with no calf. Also i have seen three bulls in the past two weeks at work so its just me not having luck seeing a bull when in hunting not working.

Gr8 white hunter
07-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Maybe this is why the moose populations are depleting. Shooting animals out of season is not hunting it's poaching.

hunter1947
07-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Maybe this is why the moose populations are depleting. Shooting animals out of season is not hunting it's poaching.

There is a lot more to it than you think on depleting moose populations many issues..

Foxton Gundogs
07-26-2013, 07:03 AM

You're absolutly right, shooting animals "out of season" is poaching. But in this case and under our current laws this was NOT poaching anymore than taking a LEH animal in an LEH season that is set aside outside the "normal" General Open Season. As I said before if you don't like the laws then get on the law makers cases and try to have them changed don't sling "mud" at those who follow the law as currently laid out. And as H47 said theres a lot more to the population decline.

Hunter325
07-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Oh gr8 white hunter, you wanna know what I think I think moose population is depleting because there are a lot of idiot hunters out there that shoot 10-15 moose and leave it because it wasn't legal I see it every year no matter where you go there's a dead bull on side of road cuz some idiot shot it and left cuz he's such an awesome hunter. And same with the laws on what to take we natives take everything we eat the marrow from the bones. We take ribs, back bone, rump and the neck and moose hide. all the moose I seen down are only the legs and back strap and nothing else gone. Its always a shame when we find moose like that. A guy we work with caught some white guys shoot a non legal bull and leave it so he calked us to see if we can take it instead of it going to waste. So that is what I think about you saying we are the reason moose pop is down. Now I'm not saying everyone does it but I know there are quite a few.

steel_ram
07-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Oh gr8 white hunter, you wanna know what I think I think moose population is depleting because there are a lot of idiot hunters out there that shoot 10-15 moose and leave it because it wasn't legal I see it every year no matter where you go there's a dead bull on side of road cuz some idiot shot it and left cuz he's such an awesome hunter. And same with the laws on what to take we natives take everything we eat the marrow from the bones. We take ribs, back bone, rump and the neck and moose hide. all the moose I seen down are only the legs and back strap and nothing else gone. Its always a shame when we find moose like that. A guy we work with caught some white guys shoot a non legal bull and leave it so he calked us to see if we can take it instead of it going to waste. So that is what I think about you saying we are the reason moose pop is down. Now I'm not saying everyone does it but I know there are quite a few.

There's definately good and bad on BOTH sides of the fence. Slob "white" hunters and unlike your group, some extremely wasteful "native" hunters.

I get a little chuckle out of those that whine that there freezers are empty, yet they have no problem filling up the tank of their 40G PU truck.

Hunter325
07-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Also I think the population here is great so I don't see how its going down.

yamadirt 426
07-26-2013, 07:40 AM
My brother in law is status and got his pal last year and says lets go hunt. I don't need a license and we can go anytime. I try to convince him to hunt in a gos. He hasn't been yet but I will not go with him on a hunt unless it's in season. But if I was status I can't say that I wouldn't harvest an animal to share with my family and elders it's just I would do it quietly and not post it on a forum where 98% of the girls and guys have to follow certain rules. Your just pissing some guys off on purpose as far as I'm concerned. That's what I find rude about the whole thing. I suppose some aspects of legal hunts for the white man also piss off other white men. So no matter what there is always someone gonna biatch about something.

geoskier
07-26-2013, 07:47 AM
It is mostly going down in central bc (cariboo) and one of the potential causes is the beetle kill. Logging has been ramped up (not following normal maximum cut sizes) to eradicate the bugs and this has lead to easier predation by both wolves and hunters. I am sure there are a host of other issues too. The fact that first nation harvest is not reported doesn't help (I am not saying you are wrong). The government should institute mandatory reporting so that population numbers can properly be calculated. Either way, I am sure there are HBC members that know much more than me about this subject. One thing I do know, however; is that fighting beetle kill is a lost cause as it is a natural cycle and happens across the boreal forest in one form or another.

r106
07-26-2013, 08:40 AM
First off good job on getting your first bow kill and some meat in the freezer.

Secondly - Hunter 325 Its not just a couple " white " guys that waist meat and by white guys I mean European, Asian, East Indian and all the rest. It's on both sides. There are bad apples in every group no matter were you go, including natives.

Third - I believe in one rule for all people living in Canada. I believe it only fair to treat all people equal. I don't blame natives for this I blame government. If I was handed the rights that natives get It would be very hard to turn them down.

But again good job on feeding the family glad it all went to good use

bassplayer
07-26-2013, 08:48 AM
I for one have never been a big fan of the way some natives hunt but we are talking about one guy here that harvested a single moose to feed his family and shared some of the meat with the elders. It's not like he was driving around the mountains with a pick up truck full of natives sitting in the box armed with guns. We can't put all natives in the same basket. He even used a bow and posted the story. Now i could understand if he went out again next week and shot another moose or an elk and posted another story, then we would have a reason to be pissed off. Let him feed his family. We only have another month to go and then we get to feed our families too.

burger
07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Don't hate the players boys!!! Hate the game!!!!

358jess
07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
It is mostly going down in central bc (cariboo) and one of the potential causes is the beetle kill. Logging has been ramped up (not following normal maximum cut sizes) to eradicate the bugs and this has lead to easier predation by both wolves and hunters. I am sure there are a host of other issues too. The fact that first nation harvest is not reported doesn't help (I am not saying you are wrong). The government should institute mandatory reporting so that population numbers can properly be calculated. Either way, I am sure there are HBC members that know much more than me about this subject. One thing I do know, however; is that fighting beetle kill is a lost cause as it is a natural cycle and happens across the boreal forest in one form or another.
There is a more than healthy wolf population that no one hunts here too. Last hunting season my hunting partner counted 20 wolves on 15 km of river in broad daylight in our Leh area.

r106
07-26-2013, 09:30 AM
I for one have never been a big fan of the way some natives hunt but we are talking about one guy here that harvested a single moose to feed his family and shared some of the meat with the elders. It's not like he was driving around the mountains with a pick up truck full of natives sitting in the box armed with guns. We can't put all natives in the same basket. He even used a bow and posted the story. Now i could understand if he went out again next week and shot another moose or an elk and posted another story, then we would have a reason to be pissed off. Let him feed his family. We only have another month to go and then we get to feed our families too.

I don't think anyone is pissed off at him for this, I think most here are glad he got some meat for his family. There pissed at the system that allows 2 different sets of rules. not the OP fault. They used to have rules like that in the states for whites and blacks

Stone Sheep Steve
07-26-2013, 09:31 AM
If everyone just focused on how we are all similar, there wouldn't be many issues.

Congrats on your archery moose! Hope there's many more in your future!

SSS

Wade
07-26-2013, 09:37 AM
There was once a time when every nationality needed to hunt whether you had brown eyes and brown skin or blonde hair and blue eyes. We all needed to hunt to survive.

bassplayer
07-26-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't think anyone is pissed off at him for this, I think most here are glad he got some meat for his family. There pissed at the system that allows 2 different sets of rules. not the OP fault. They used to have rules like that in the states for whites and blacks
I agree with you all the way. My wife works in a butcher shop that processes wild game and she deals with native hunters on a daily basis. Their cooler is packed to the rafters right now with native deer and moose. I guess i wouldn't have so much of a problem with it myself if they paid into it like the rest of us when we buy our tags and stuff.

huff
07-26-2013, 09:54 AM

Well said. jess.

gutpile
07-26-2013, 02:12 PM
I agree with you all the way. My wife works in a butcher shop that processes wild game and she deals with native hunters on a daily basis. Their cooler is packed to the rafters right now with native deer and moose. I guess i wouldn't have so much of a problem with it myself if they paid into it like the rest of us when we buy our tags and stuff.Good point ,if the indians paid into it like the rest of us.
I don't even mind if they hunted in the off season if they used their primitive bows, that's one way of keeping their tradition alive.

chilcotin hillbilly
07-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Thats the biggest load of S--!!! The gathering at Chilco a few years back there where 30 plus does shot close to roads, only the back staps where taken. Moose are constantly shot in the Chilcotin and only prime cuts taken. This is not everyone whom is doning it but this is the sole reason for a cow/bull ratio that is out of wack out here.

Darksith
07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
This thread is about to become that train in spain....derailed

Derp
07-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Thats the biggest load of S--!!! The gathering at Chilco a few years back there where 30 plus does shot close to roads, only the back staps where taken. Moose are constantly shot in the Chilcotin and only prime cuts taken. This is not everyone whom is doning it but this is the sole reason for a cow/bull ratio that is out of wack out here.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1069342_513824085356839_393036432_n.jpg

hunter1947
07-26-2013, 03:18 PM
I don't want this thread to be locked up so lets keep this thread from getting side tracked if any one wants to talk about something else post up a new thread ,thanks H-47..

BRvalley
07-26-2013, 03:23 PM
when i first moved to BC I worked with a native guy, funny guy, hard worker, drank together all the time....he brought moose steaks to bbq after work, I was excited and asked what else he had, "come on man give me some burger!!".."nah, way too hot and too many flies, only keep the good cuts"...100% true story

that combined with being grabbed from behind while walking with my fly rod along the capilano river by a native who asked why the hell i was fishing "his river"...that did not go well...i had parked by the mall and was walking the path upriver past the second bridge, not even fishing yet

the native kids in college got a completely free ride with spending allowances....took me 7 years to pay back my student loans, when was making a 30,500 salary first 2 yrs after graduation and supporting myself entirely I could barely keep, gov't didn't care, ruined my credit rating but I had to work hard and pay it back....my buddy dated a pocahontas, she joked about the free ride...no concept of earning a dollar

my personal opinon won't ever be changed...one land, one law...enough is enough with the double standards

lorneparker1
07-26-2013, 03:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFITa9eYoQ

The Dawg
07-26-2013, 04:07 PM
What about the Clinton rams that were just left to rot?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/26e144870baadb1b2836ceb749f2ba94/tumblr_mkp3noSgWd1qf7m4qo1_500.gif (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=popcorn+gif&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=mLfyUmIaJ8kuNM&tbnid=vWQS7Lj0NgggdM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tumblr.com%2Ftagged%2Fpopcorn-gif&ei=gADzUd2iBOGRiAKDlYCoDw&bvm=bv.49784469,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNGGe0EmBhsyIbt9BZ9V_fjoU8WTmQ&ust=1374966254927669)

The Dawg
07-26-2013, 04:08 PM
BTW.....

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOnXBrzsULCoTeqJTlfNquLscn05nSg Lb2H5QeFbnUipTjnvd3

doubled
07-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Or the whitetail massacre at Nevertouch last fall, or the hundreds of sockeye lyeing on the sides of roads when freezers are dumped out, or the elk slaughter on the island, or ..... I could go on and on.

Congrats on a successful hunt and I respect that you are putting food in your freezer and supplying your elders - that is very admirable but don't tell us that you take everything and it is all eaten. YOU may not waste anything but a lot of others do.

gutpile
07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Slaughter of elk in christian valley many years ago.
slaughter of elk in the chilliwack lake area many years ago
because the Indians thought they were deer.... O they are right
they are deer , my mistake.

olympia
07-26-2013, 05:35 PM
when i first moved to BC I worked with a native guy, funny guy, hard worker, drank together all the time....he brought moose steaks to bbq after work, I was excited and asked what else he had, "come on man give me some burger!!".."nah, way too hot and too many flies, only keep the good cuts"...100% true storythat combined with being grabbed from behind while walking with my fly rod along the capilano river by a native who asked why the hell i was fishing "his river"...that did not go well...i had parked by the mall and was walking the path upriver past the second bridge, not even fishing yetthe native kids in college got a completely free ride with spending allowances....took me 7 years to pay back my student loans, when was making a 30,500 salary first 2 yrs after graduation and supporting myself entirely I could barely keep, gov't didn't care, ruined my credit rating but I had to work hard and pay it back....my buddy dated a pocahontas, she joked about the free ride...no concept of earning a dollarmy personal opinon won't ever be changed...one land, one law...enough is enough with the double standardshow did we go from a "first bow kill" to crying about how hard your life was?

rosscopeeko
07-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Good job man. Congrats on your moose.

ruger#1
07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Good job man. Congrats on your moose.
X2, It should be tasty.

nature girl
07-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Very nice moose you got.
Way to go on getting it with a bow.
I would say those flies would of drove me crazy.

Mikey Rafiki
07-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Or the whitetail massacre at Nevertouch last fall, or the hundreds of sockeye lyeing on the sides of roads when freezers are dumped out, or the elk slaughter on the island, or ..... I could go on and on.

Congrats on a successful hunt and I respect that you are putting food in your freezer and supplying your elders - that is very admirable but don't tell us that you take everything and it is all eaten. YOU may not waste anything but a lot of others do.

So we are painting everyone with the same brush? If so, you better bring up all of the poaching stories from us "whiteys" when anyone else posts about a successful legal hunt. If you don't like the laws do something proactive about it, which can't be done on this thread.

Ron.C
07-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Congrats on the moose. Hope its the first of many for you. My only advice would be to try and stick to one type of broadhead. Pick on that shoots well from your bow and practice with that one style at all ranges you intend on shooting. Its unfortunate this thread has gone sideways.

Wild one
07-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Packed out all the meat and took a dry cow sounds like there is some thought before harvest. Not a fan of FN hunting rights but it sounds like you try to be selective with what you take and it is not wasted. Add in the use of a bow and it is the closest thing to a traditional harvest I have seen.

Even though I don't like unregulated FN harvest it is your legal right. If all FN used what they took well being selective about what they shot it would be easier to except FN food hunts.

Because many hunters have seen or heard of major abuse of FN hunting rights it is hard for many non FN hunters to support these hunts. The fact that little or nothing is done to those FN that choose abuse these rights and waste game/fish it is a hard pill to swallow.

That being said there is also plenty of abuse by other races as well but if caught they are held accountable for there actions.

Hear it every year about non FN being proud of a big buck/bull shot at night. Seen poachers of asian back ground nailed by CO's with mule deer does when only WT does are open in region 8. Lots of farmers out there that believe they can shoot as much game they want and when ever they want because it is on there land. I don't think it is just FN's that abuse the system

I do not support the system in place at ALL

It is your legal right and hope you continue to be selective in your harvest and not waste. It sounds like you have respect for the animals you take so I will give respect there

hunterdon
07-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Very nicely done Hunter325. Congrats on your first bow harvest! Great video as well. I'm sure your family and elders are pleased with the good eats AND the way in which you did it. Nothing wasted.

Drillbit
07-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Great, but I have to ask...

On the reserves I grew up in, there were always elders that passed on traditional methods of hunting and fishing to the young up and comers. This started very early. Us kids were fishing/harvesting very early and had all shot big game before we were 10yo.

You weren't with an elder and are shooting your first moose very late in the game compared to my experiences, how come?

604redneck
07-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Same old, same old....

I'm guessing you (OP) knew some folks were not going to agree with this. Understand that posting your exploits for all to see on a hunting forum is a sure fire way to strike a few nerves. In fact, it is one of the most controversial subjects that is discussed here on HBC. I hope you were not under the impression that this was going to get rave reviews.
How is what i said "same old, same old"?

hunter1947
07-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Keep up the good hunting and I wish you well on getting your next big game animal :) ,,I know we all want meat in out freezer or we would not be out there hunting with hi powered rifle on which you did not use even harder to get the animal with a bow (nice shooting with the bow) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png my thoughts are there are some jealous members out there that they wish they could hunt at this time or other thoughts ??:confused:??,,again congrats getting your first moose :)..

Hunter325
07-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Great, but I have to ask...

On the reserves I grew up in, there were always elders that passed on traditional methods of hunting and fishing to the young up and comers. This started very early. Us kids were fishing/harvesting very early and had all shot big game before we were 10yo.

You weren't with an elder and are shooting your first moose very late in the game compared to my experiences, how come?

All the elders are to old to hunt and I started hunting when I was 12yrs old. I have already been taught by many elders and i am still learning as I go from them. That is why. Im turning 20 in Sept and I sm teaching my nephews how to hunt and trap and to show them everything I lesrned as well as my baby on the way I hope to show them everything I have been taught

Hunter325
07-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Not sure if that answers your question or not. sorry if it doesn't

Ride Red
07-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Packed out all the meat and took a dry cow sounds like there is some thought before harvest. Not a fan of FN hunting rights but it sounds like you try to be selective with what you take and it is not wasted. Add in the use of a bow and it is the closest thing to a traditional harvest I have seen.

Even though I don't like unregulated FN harvest it is your legal right. If all FN used what they took well being selective about what they shot it would be easier to except FN food hunts.

Because many hunters have seen or heard of major abuse of FN hunting rights it is hard for many non FN hunters to support these hunts. The fact that little or nothing is done to those FN that choose abuse these rights and waste game/fish it is a hard pill to swallow.

That being said there is also plenty of abuse by other races as well but if caught they are held accountable for there actions.

Hear it every year about non FN being proud of a big buck/bull shot at night. Seen poachers of asian back ground nailed by CO's with mule deer does when only WT does are open in region 8. Lots of farmers out there that believe they can shoot as much game they want and when ever they want because it is on there land. I don't think it is just FN's that abuse the system

I do not support the system in place at ALL

It is your legal right and hope you continue to be selective in your harvest and not waste. It sounds like you have respect for the animals you take so I will give respect there

Well said.

Ambush
07-28-2013, 08:34 AM
All the elders are to old to hunt and I started hunting when I was 12yrs old. I have already been taught by many elders and i am still learning as I go from them. That is why. Im turning 20 in Sept and I sm teaching my nephews how to hunt and trap and to show them everything I lesrned as well as my baby on the way I hope to show them everything I have been taught

First thing I noticed was that here is a young man who at tries to use punctuation, spelling and grammar. Easy to read. Thanks for that.

I disagree with unregulated hunting by any group, but at least the OP seems to be thoughtful about the process and reasons for hunting. Hopefully he has a positive affect on his peers.

hunterdon
07-28-2013, 08:51 AM

I guess it's also congrats to you and your wife on the soon little one. Hope it all turns out good for you both!!!Best wishes to you and your family!

jtm33
07-28-2013, 09:59 AM
WE have a Cow/calf draw for MU7-03. This will be our first moose hunt in this area...Does anyone have anyone tips they would like to share about this area.

Gateholio
07-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Really would have been glad to have seen this thread sooner. This thread definitely falls under the "nanny goats, cow moose, 6 year old full curl etc " rule.

Basically if you want to debate a law or ethics or whatever, start your own thread. Don't hijack a thread about a legal hunt.

My apologies to Hunter325 for not seeing this sooner. I'm locking it for now and I will reopen when I've deleted all the hijack posts.