PDA

View Full Version : Sights to See on the Way?

Nevada Wapati
07-24-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm going to be coming up to British Columbia for the first time this fall for a moose/caribou hunt. I'm thinking about leaving a couple days early to give me some time to check out the sights on the way. I'm planning to drive up Highway 97, crossing the border by Osoyoos on to Merritt and then to Highway 1 at Spences Bridge. From there I'll be to Prince George and over to Vanderhoof.

What must see sights or things to do should I check out? Thanks for any help you can give.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-24-2013, 06:00 PM
That's going to be a beautiful drive! There are plenty of attractions along the way, yet simply doing it and taking your time, checking out some of the views from rest stops here and there shall be spectacular. Sounds like a bit of a scenic route to take. Don't forget to ask your Outfitter-Guide for their recommendations as well Sir.

Have a great trip!

shadowhunter
07-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Chasm is always nice, just after Clinton.

Hunter49
07-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Clinton Museum is a great stop...lots of gold rush history. If you are going north of Vanderhoof to Ft. St James check out the old trading post on the lake. It may be closed after August, but interesting all the same.

Everett
07-24-2013, 09:45 PM
I will disagree if your coming from Nevada come up and cross at Eastport Idaho than head North via the Columbia Trench to Radium than north to Jasper via the National Parks one of the most stunning drives in North America. I make my living as a tour guide and have driven most of the amazing roads of western North America and this is in the top three.
The drive you suggest is alright but nothing special.
There is several other alterations on this theme but to advise you I would need your start point and finish point.

Nevada Wapati
07-25-2013, 08:07 AM
There is several other alterations on this theme but to advise you I would need your start point and finish point.[/QUOTE]

Everett, I'll be starting in Reno, Nevada and ending in Vanderhoof.

Darksith
07-25-2013, 08:46 AM
yes, go through the park and jasper...drive up one route, down another. That will give you a chance to see much more

Sofa King
07-25-2013, 09:00 AM
yes, go through the park and jasper...drive up one route, down another. That will give you a chance to see much more

completely agree.
it may seem a little more out of the way, but the scenery will be a million times more beautiful.

moosinaround
07-25-2013, 09:04 AM
completely agree.
it may seem a little more out of the way, but the scenery will be a million times more beautiful.
A "million Times??" Really? I think your exaggerating a little? Come on!!! Moosin

andrewscag
07-25-2013, 09:09 AM
X3 for jasper. Look out for the elk

panhead
07-25-2013, 09:28 AM
I will disagree if your coming from Nevada come up and cross at Eastport Idaho than head North via the Columbia Trench to Radium than north to Jasper via the National Parks one of the most stunning drives in North America. I make my living as a tour guide and have driven most of the amazing roads of western North America and this is in the top three.
The drive you suggest is alright but nothing special.
There is several other alterations on this theme but to advise you I would need your start point and finish point.

What are the other two?

Sofa King
07-25-2013, 09:32 AM
A "million Times??" Really? I think your exaggerating a little? Come on!!! Moosin

I've driven to the Yukon many, many times.
the south stretch to PG is the worst.
no scenery at all, and shitty towns the whole way.

the scenery and wildlife he'll see going the other route is infinitely better.

Singleshotneeded
07-25-2013, 10:34 AM
If you haven't driven Banff and Jasper, you definitely want to come up that way, then head down the more direct route after...on your way back take the cutoff at Ashcroft, just south of Cache Creek, and head to Merritt.

geoskier
07-25-2013, 10:44 AM
The Cache Creek to PG stretch is awful. My least favourite drive in all of BC. If you must take that route, head to Vancouver first so you can drive the Sea to Sky and Duffy Lake Rd.

I agree with Everett, the Icefields Parkway in Banff and Jasper is unreal. Coming up via the Kootenays is pretty good too. The drive along Slocan Lake (new denver) is very scenic and the lake will still be swimable (one of few places on earth where you can lay in a warm clear lake that you can drink out of, while eating a peach grown 50m away, while looking at a glacier).

Everett
07-25-2013, 10:55 AM
So head up through Boise to Coer De Lane than Eastport to Cranbrook to Radium to Jasper to Prince George than Vanderhoof that's the way I would do it with clients

itsy bitsy xj
07-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Nothing to see here! We're full stay where you are we have no animals for you

sawmill
07-25-2013, 12:56 PM
So head up through Boise to Coer De Lane than Eastport to Cranbrook to Radium to Jasper to Prince George than Vanderhoof that's the way I would do it with clients

Yep,turn left at Jasper and through to PG.Prince George sucks by the way.

longstonec
07-25-2013, 01:59 PM
if you come through osooyuus stop in at some of the wineries. mmmm

moosinaround
07-25-2013, 03:02 PM
I've driven to the Yukon many, many times.
the south stretch to PG is the worst.
no scenery at all, and shitty towns the whole way.

the scenery and wildlife he'll see going the other route is infinitely better.

1845kmx2=3690km x10 times per year = 36900km x 10 yrs 369000km = not even 1/2 million kms!!! moosin

Moose Guide
07-25-2013, 08:24 PM

Thats cause you live in Burnaby, beyond Hope!!!!!

Moose Guide
07-25-2013, 08:27 PM
I would suggest crossing the border at Nelway and staying the night at Ainsworth Hot Springs, then check out the SS Moyie at Kaslo before continuing on to Revelstoke , Banff and Jasper!

Bear Chaser
07-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Why not take the long way round?
Go up through Jasper, north to Grande Prairie, west to Dawson Creek, hit the Alaska Highway north up to the Yukon and then back south to Vanderhoof.
I don't know about west of Prince George but East, North, and South for one hour or better each way and the scenery sucks big time.

vikinghunter
07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
If you come up hwy 97, hold your appetite till 100 mile house and stop in at Firehouse diner. Its worth going that way for all the great eats. You know once you see BC you will never want to leave :-)

new hunter
07-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Frank slide up near hope is pretty cool. so is Shannon falls in squamish , and brandy wine falls . The duffy from pemberton to Lillooet is a beautiful , so is the canyons between Lillooet and cache creek .

Everett
07-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Frank slide up near hope is pretty cool. so is Shannon falls in squamish , and brandy wine falls . The duffy from pemberton to Lillooet is a beautiful , so is the canyons between Lillooet and cache creek .

Frank slide is Alberta just outside of Blairmore your thinking of the Hope Slide.

panhead
07-26-2013, 11:31 AM
If you come up hwy 97, hold your appetite till 100 mile house and stop in at Firehouse diner. Its worth going that way for all the great eats. You know once you see BC you will never want to leave :-)

How did I miss this ... where is it in 100 Mile?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With your bleak and bitter personality I suspect the one thing you won’t be occupying, is a vagina.

Nevada Wapati
07-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Oh man, you could of told me this before I sent my deposit in.

So it sounds like I need to take the long route as the extra miles are worth the time. Thanks for the advice but now I have another question. Are there any special requirements for carrying a firearm through the National Parks between Baniff and Jasper?

Hank Hunter
07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Disarm firearms

Firearms must remain in your vehicle at all times, unloaded, and in a case or wrapped and securely tied so that no part of the firearm is exposed.

whitespringer
07-26-2013, 02:13 PM

So it sounds like I need to take the long route as the extra miles are worth the time. Thanks for the advice but now I have another question. Are there any special requirements for carrying a firearm through the National Parks between Baniff and Jasper?
Never mind the cheap shot from the peanut gallery.:-? You are welcome here anytime. Hope you enjoy this great part of the world. Have a great hunt. Oh, the Jasper/National park route is the way to go.

Everett
07-26-2013, 04:47 PM

In a case out of site I trigger lock in the park as well.

Papa Sasquatch
08-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Driving through the Kootenay region, day or night. I have been known to pull over in Aw before the majestic sceneries... It is nothing less then outstanding and if you travel through it on a fall evening with a full moon ... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm quickly pull over, it could be hazardous to keep driving.