PDA

View Full Version : Atlin Sheep LEH!

Chuck Norris
07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Hey all,

Avid reader of the site but havn't posted much over the years!

A few friends and I managed to pull the Atlin Sheep draw this year. (6-25 D) Was wondering if any of you had any advice/info that you would be willing to share? One of our party was in that area last year hunting Griz/moose so he has a bit of an idea what the country looks like etc, but not much to do with rams (him and his dad harvested a couple nice bulls, and saw a few nice boars but weren't able to connect) We are planning on heading up mid-september (that's all we can manage for time off this year unfortunately) and camping on Surprise Lake. Also pulled a couple grizzly tags and a caribou tag so we will be tying that in to our hunt when/if time/weather permits! Anything you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

123.brewski
07-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Bring a small boat and motor. My father was up there years ago. Good for spotting , and accessing the far shore if you need. I'll see if I can get the name of the lake for ya.

ianwuzhere
07-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Sounds like its gonna be a great trip- have fun.

Chuck Norris
07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks! Definitely starting to get pumped up and its still a month and a half away. My printer combined with google earth has been given a pretty good workout recently. We are toying with the idea of bringing a zodiak, just not sure if the space it will use up in the trailer will be worth the return of having it available to us.

pnbrock
07-30-2013, 12:21 PM
will you think the same when you are there wishing you brought the boat?

Darksith
07-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Hey all,

come on...you gotta contribute if you want the goods...that being said Im sure peeps will still help ya out, but come on in, stay awhile, join the group ;)

1stalker
07-30-2013, 01:56 PM
I haven't posted much over the years myself either, but it's shit rats like you who come on here and ask the general population to tell you everything about every little nook and cranny that they know of, and what hangs out there and when!!! Man up dude! How old are you? Get out there and get some dirt under your manicured nails!

coglark
07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
That's Chuck Norris you're talking too!

frenchbar
07-30-2013, 04:00 PM
^lol........don't mess with him or you'll go.http://smhttp.14409.nexcesscdn.net/806D5E/wordpress-L/images/missing-in-action-chuck-norris.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=pics+of+chuck+norris+in+action&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Lq8QqXYrueLwzM&tbnid=qY60MrFa0iF_xM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.filmschoolrejects.com%2Ftag%2 Fmissing-in-action&ei=HUb4UfyMD8T2iwL61oGACA&bvm=bv.49967636,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNFOpzIWexjnBz2sUUynqq-WOpX0bQ&ust=1375311765487497)

quadrakid
07-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Sheep run down the mountain when they see Chuck Norris,no point in putting off the inevitable.

Darksith
07-30-2013, 06:02 PM
I haven't posted much over the years myself either, but it's shit rats like you who come on here and ask the general population to tell you everything about every little nook and cranny that they know of, and what hangs out there and when!!! Man up dude! How old are you? Get out there and get some dirt under your manicured nails!

honestly its the exact opposite...there is nothing wrong with anyone asking for help, I was simply joking and inviting them to participate. Its morons like yourself that have a whopping 2 posts yet think that they have some right to call people down, act like an idiot and generally feel that you are better than other members for no reason. Why don't you piss off, how old are you, maybe seek some anger management classes or something. Seriously, you have been lurking for 4 years but you think that because you have only lurked and not contributed that that makes you better than somenoe that finally decides to ask a question, join the discussions and hopefully help another fellow hunter out as they have been helped by all the really great people on here...maybe take a breath and look to help someone out rather than be a dick!

07-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Hey all,

A few friends and I managed to pull the Atlin Sheep draw this year. (6-25 D) Was wondering if any of you had any advice/info that you would be willing to share? One of our party was in that area last year hunting Griz/moose so he has a bit of an idea what the country looks like etc, but not much to do with rams (him and his dad harvested a couple nice bulls, and saw a few nice boars but weren't able to connect) We are planning on heading up mid-september (that's all we can manage for time off this year unfortunately) and camping on Surprise Lake. Also pulled a couple grizzly tags and a caribou tag so we will be tying that in to our hunt when/if time/weather permits! Anything you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Congrats on your draws, call it coincidence or what ever you want, but a myself and a buddy had the very same draws a few years back.......makes a guy wonder about the LEH system. North east end of Surprise Lk has a cratered out mountain that sometimes hold sheep, easiest climb is also from the east side of the mt. (can easily be studied on google earth) We seen G-bears and witnessed the results of G-bear visit on a couple of hunters camping in their van who had moose quarters strung up fairly high in the trees.........key operating word there being "had". They didn't have tags for bear and although we did, never caught up with that particular yogi ( probably enjoying fresh moose:twisted:). Make sure you have moose tags as there are/were a fair number of them and bring a camera.....of all my hunts over the last 30 years in BC, the Atlin country is some of the nicest country l've ever hunted. Bring a boat of sorts, lots of places to glass on the far side of lakes and the fishing is fantastic. Watch it if your out on Surprise lake.......one of the local old-timers l met out in the bush one afternoon told me the reason it got its name was for the nasty, squalls and storms that could turn up on the lake very quickly. Good luck with your hunt, its certainly beautiful .

huntingpg
07-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Sheep population had declined bad up there, me and some buddies group drew sheep up there lastYear and we spend over 20 days and couldn't find a legal ram we
Saw a good number of ewes but very very few rams We covered a lot of ground 2

Chuck Norris
07-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Shit Rat? I'm assuming this is an invasive species?:-D Regardless, I was never asking for everyone to tell me "every little nook and cranny that they know of, and what hangs out there and when!!!" I was merely asking for any information that may enable us to get an advantage in unfamiliar terrain. Trust me when I say that if I was lucky enough to have more than 2 weeks off a year I would drive the 30 or so hours up there and do some scouting. Because this is not possible I am forced to either go blind (which is typically what I have done in the past) or ask for some help. This is not just about people telling secret spots, but what kind of weather to expect that time of year, migration patterns, and population densities. That being said, I am 28 years old and have been fortunate enough to have hunted/harvested most big game species in BC besides Caribou, Bison, G-Bear and Dall. You assuming that I need to get some dirt under my manicured nails is highly presumptuous. End Troll Rant.

Thanks to everyone else for the insight. Sounds like we will be throwing the boat in for the ride, along with a couple life jackets/survival suits:-?...

huntingpg
08-05-2013, 08:00 PM
1stalker is right, this is bullshit of u to come on here thinking u can find all the awnsers on a area u hhave never been to before!! Put ssome miles on your boots for heavens sakes

Gateholio
08-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Please go back to lurking, your input is not desired.

Gateholio
08-05-2013, 08:45 PM
1stalker is right, this is bullshit of u to come on here thinking u can find all the awnsers on a area u hhave never been to before!! Put ssome miles on your boots for heavens sakes

Such a large percentage of your posts are you talking shit to people that I think you need a time out. See you in 4 months.