PDA

View Full Version : FISH LIMITS..pros/cons

proguide66
07-23-2013, 09:09 AM
SO , when we have hunting season , we can have up to 3 deer a year , or say 2 black bears a year and as well shoot them all in one day- if we wish- then its 'over' for you when tagged out. NOW , 'why' would you be allowed say 6 halibut each a year and only be allowed to have 2 in possession ? why not let any individual angler 'tag out' on his own time of choosing?? OR , why not be able to keep the ball rollin on a good day and 'tag out' on your yearly salmon quota?? I don't get it...... So if you lived 8 hrs from the coast , you would have to travel back and forth 3 times to get your 6 halibut in the freezer?? Some things don't 'mesh up'..or maybe I'm missing something?? What would be wrong with getting your license filled as fast as 'you' could and be done with it??:???:

adriaticum
07-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Good question.
I think because in fishing you don't have individual tags for each fish. Perhaps if they had to sell tags for each individual fish then you could enforce that kind of a seasonal limit.
I suppose they could modify the regulations to mandate that we tag each fish we keep river or ocean and issue a limited number of tags per angler.
But do you really want to give the government more power to implement new limitations, new fees, levies, taxes etc...
Because you know that's coming if you want more complex regulations.

Ltbullken
07-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Because the optics of having a rack full of fish makes it look like 'we' are over-harvesting? Appearances are 12/10ths of the law...

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 09:52 AM
because they love to apply regulations to every single thing they can.
they don't want things to be logical and to make sense.
and with most fishing regs, they implement them to make it as difficult as possible to catch a fish.
when in reality, if they want our youth to get interested in fishing, it needs to be as easy as possible for them to be successful when they go out and try it.

IronNoggin
07-23-2013, 09:55 AM
... What would be wrong with getting your license filled as fast as 'you' could and be done with it??:???:

Because... "Management" does not view Recreational Angling as a harvest activity so much, and in fact, they look for ways to ensure that most who purchase a license will NOT "tag out" (barbless hooks, size restrictions, daily / possession limits, annual limits, area closures etc etc). There are a myriad of reasons for doing so - many political, but a few based on science. The Recreational Sector's take of salmon has increased dramatically over the past decade and change. For springs, they are now the Largest Harvest Group, FAR surpassing the troll fleets. "Management" therefore is looking for methods to reduce that rate, or at least keep it where it is today. The case of halibut is MUCH more convoluted as I am sure you are aware. In that particular scenario, the mess has often been described as "Political Mismanagement At It's Finest". :cry:

It would also open up the door for the Bad Actors out there to take an even higher percent of the overall catch than they already do, while making any semblance of enforcement pretty much a nightmare.

While many do indeed rely on their angling license to stock their freezers, harvesting in the method described kind of goes against the definition of "SPORT" Fishing & rather tends towards commercial style extraction practices instead.

Just this Redneck's Humble Opinion. As always, yours may vary...

Cheers,
Nog

greenhorn
07-23-2013, 09:56 AM
My guess - DFO realizes that alot of people exceed their quota. So the combination of limited daily/possession limits and shortened season, slot limits all combine in an attempt to limit overharvest while still allowing the average sport guy to fill his annual limit

Moe.JKU
07-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Because... "Management" does not view Recreational Angling as a harvest activity so much, and in fact, they look for ways to ensure that most who purchase a license will NOT "tag out" (barbless hooks, size restrictions, daily / possession limits, annual limits, area closures etc etc). There are a myriad of reasons for doing so - many political, but a few based on science. The Recreational Sector's take of salmon has increased dramatically over the past decade and change. For springs, they are now the Largest Harvest Group, FAR surpassing the troll fleets. "Management" therefore is looking for methods to reduce that rate, or at least keep it where it is today. The case of halibut is MUCH more convoluted as I am sure you are aware. In that particular scenario, the mess has often been described as "Political Mismanagement At It's Finest". :cry:

It would also open up the door for the Bad Actors out there to take an even higher percent of the overall catch than they already do, while making any semblance of enforcement pretty much a nightmare.

While many do indeed rely on their angling license to stock their freezers, harvesting in the method described kind of goes against the definition of "SPORT" Fishing & rather tends towards commercial style extraction practices instead.

Just this Redneck's Humble Opinion. As always, yours may vary...

Cheers,
Nog
Very well put.

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 10:19 AM
My guess - DFO realizes that alot of people exceed their quota. So the combination of limited daily/possession limits and shortened season, slot limits all combine in an attempt to limit overharvest while still allowing the average sport guy to fill his annual limit

if they assume that, then maybe they should work harder at catching those offenders and less at making us all pay the price.
and I know that they are under-funded and short-staffed.
welcome to the club, most freakin' people in Canada are "under-funded".

07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't think you can have 6 in your freezer, as then you would be in possession of 6, would you not? It seems to me that this is simply a way to lower the harvest. It takes some time to eat 2 +30lb fish.

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 10:28 AM
they can impose all the regs and restrictions on us they want.
and even close seasons altogether in an attempt to revive populations.
it's all bogus anyway, when then the Indians can still harvest all they want, when they want, how they want.
if the rules don't apply to all, then they don't work.

greenhorn
07-23-2013, 10:38 AM
it's all bogus anyway, when then the Indians can still harvest all they want, when they want, how they want.

I doubt anyone would argue that a system with two sets of rules that seem in conflict with one another is arguably unfair and ineffective.

Sundance1972
07-23-2013, 06:58 PM
SO , when we have hunting season , we can have up to 3 deer a year , or say 2 black bears a year and as well shoot them all in one day- if we wish- then its 'over' for you when tagged out. NOW , 'why' would you be allowed say 6 halibut each a year and only be allowed to have 2 in possession ? why not let any individual angler 'tag out' on his own time of choosing?? OR , why not be able to keep the ball rollin on a good day and 'tag out' on your yearly salmon quota?? I don't get it...... So if you lived 8 hrs from the coast , you would have to travel back and forth 3 times to get your 6 halibut in the freezer?? Some things don't 'mesh up'..or maybe I'm missing something?? What would be wrong with getting your license filled as fast as 'you' could and be done with it??:???:

Probably be a lot less fish out there if everyone was allowed to "fill their tags" in one trip. I'd bet at least 50% of license holders only make it out 2-3 times a year and never even come close to filling a license.

Krico
07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
In regards to below-On page 7 of the tidal regs. "The requirements pertaining to possession limits will no longer apply once your catch has arrived at your ordinary residence"

I don't think you can have 6 in your freezer, as then you would be in possession of 6, would you not?

And on that subject, not sure why some guys have such a hate on for non locals who ship fish home and keep fishing. Like its any different from locals dropping fish in their freezer and heading back out on the water.

Caribou_lou
07-29-2013, 09:21 PM

Ill be starting my own thread when I have more time. But the statement above... I couldn't have put it better myself! In regards to the Skeena river sockeye. No commercial fishery, no retention for recreational fishery. But you will find gillnets lining the shores of the Skeena and Bulkley even with record low numbers of Sockeye. Call it a food fishery all you want. But I had a lady approach me asking if I wanted to buy sockeye... Are you kidding me!

The thread ill be starting will be in regards to babine sockeye. Be up in a couple days.

aggiehunter
07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
theres already those guys that get their two sockeye (osoyoos/fraser) and go home...then head back in the afternoon for another two...so I think this just might help keep those guys in check as if the limit was 6...then it would be 6 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon.

gitnadoix
07-31-2013, 11:44 PM
If for instance you were allowed your annual limit of say Chinooks in one day, and there was one of those days when you just cant keep them off you would see the true nature of many people coming out. They seem to get some kind of gold rush hysteria and just grab as much of something they can as fast as they can, and in this case causing a large impact on one particular stock rather than try and spread their impact over many stocks and thus hopefully reducing the over weight of that impact through dilution.

steel_ram
08-01-2013, 07:28 AM
It hopefully curtails some of the fish and game hogs activities. There's the guys who will take out granny, their kids, neighbours kids (all free licences) and tag them out, just so they can brag they got X amount at work the following week. Then they have an annual freezer clean out at the start of the next season.

ohno
08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
If you frequent any of the fishing forums you'll see a few guys that go out everyday. They are usually retired and fishing is their hobby. Many of these guys catch their daily limit frequently and are dialed into the fish.
Then there are the guys who get out when they can. I'll call them the 9-5'ers. This group gets out a few times a year and have hit and miss catch rates.
The final group is the charter crowd who may only go fishing once a year, but due to the expense if the trip and the infrequent nature of it they want to limit out. Also charter guys know how to fish and want to get their clients into fish for obvious business reasons. The charter guys go out and try to limit out their clients everyday much like the first group.

How does one balance the the needs of the fish stocks and the harvest rates for these 3 groups?

Aheny
08-02-2013, 11:49 AM
If you want more fish, bring a bbq on your boat! Problem solved. Limit out, pig out, fish again. repeat!

MB_Boy
08-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Some great points made.

I think one issue you have to look at would be expanding the abuse that no doubt happens already in the fact as mentioned earlier you don't have to have a "fish tag".

If one was allowed 6 per day on their "one trip"......they can mark it down on their license in case they get caught.....and when they get home print a new copy of their license that is saved on their computer and head out for another "6". Without a doubt this happens now with licenses for those that choose to abuse the system but it would be exponentially worse IMHO if there weren't "possession" limits.

HarryToolips
08-02-2013, 01:05 PM
glad someone ain't afraid to call it like it is..everyone wants to step around the truth to not offend any ethnic origin, I call it the wussification of North America..