PDA

View Full Version : tags for catch and release

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 08:35 AM
at the end of the day, it seems kinda silly to have to pay for catching and releasing fish.
usually when you are required to buy a special tag or conservation stamp, you are allowed to keep the fish.
and I've been sturgeon fishing, and had no problem with paying the extra fee.
I never really thought about it before, as it's just the way it is, but I was just reading something else and a guy commented to the other about "making sure he had his sturgeon tag".
and just reading it from an outside perspective, it's silly to pay for c&r.

imagine having to pay for an extra licence to go out and scout pre-season.
need a fee for setting up those trail-cams.

and I know how we are lucky, compared to how shit is in Europe.
but it's not that we are lucky, but more like they have it bad.

Steeleco
07-23-2013, 08:44 AM
I've thought it should be a tag for keeping. We don't buy tags for large game critters just so we can go look at them. The kids can get a fishing license for free, but if dad wanted to take them fishing with no intent of keeping or the fishery is CLOSED, then why the need for a tag?

At the end of the day, I just told myself it's going to the "cause" lets hope it truly is!

russm
07-23-2013, 09:06 AM
We should have a sturgeon limited entry.

Moe.JKU
07-23-2013, 09:31 AM
I think in order to fish for a certain species it like steelhead, salmon you should have to have a tag. How does anyone know if they are going to c&r unless they see them catch and release a fish. Everyone would just go to the river and fish, then leave quick. If an officer stopped them on the river they would just say oh im just catch and releasing.

Its a way of helping the officers and people monitoring it how many people fish for that species in a year, and who should be out there, and who shouldn't be. C&R is still considered sport fishing, some people bonk them others don't.

Scouting in my opinion is different, because your not handling the animal, catch an release hunting would be like shooting it with a tranquilizer, getting the animal to hand, handling it, then releasing it.

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 09:37 AM
shuswap lake is another one.
they want you to buy conservation stamps.
and the co's are misinformed also.
I've heard stories of them giving people tickets for not having a rainbow conservation stamp.

shuswap is one of this province's best fisheries.
the whole salmon migration/salmon fry journey is absolutely amazing and it's incredible to see the massive balls of fry try to survive through their journey through the lake.
seeing them get pushed to the surface by lakers and rainbow, erupting in a water-boil, then rainbows slashing through them porpoising out of the water, as well as the mergansers joining in the attack is amazing to watch.
not to mention my fly-rod doubling over as my fly comes through the ball and is smashed by a big bow.

and this fantastic fishery requires a rainbow stamp.
seems kinda silly.
I know it's about raising money into a fund to go back into the fishery and all.
but in what way has that money went back into the rainbow fishery in shuswap?
the little bit of tagging they do?
they do that everywhere, and don't charge extra for fishing those other lakes.

adriaticum
07-23-2013, 09:39 AM
It's all taxes. "General Revenue". If you agree to pay it, you are going to pay it.
But I have a hunch that the sturgeon tags are a precursor to opening sturgeon for retention.
Sturgeon have recovered very well from what I am able to gather so they may open some limited retention opportunities down the road.

adriaticum
07-23-2013, 09:42 AM
shuswap lake is another one.
they want you to buy conservation stamps.
and the co's are misinformed also.
I've heard stories of them giving people tickets for not having a rainbow conservation stamp.

shuswap is one of this province's best fisheries.
the whole salmon migration/salmon fry journey is absolutely amazing and it's incredible to see the massive balls of fry try to survive through their journey through the lake.
seeing them get pushed to the surface by lakers and rainbow, erupting in a water-boil, then rainbows slashing through them porpoising out of the water, as well as the mergansers joining in the attack is amazing to watch.
not to mention my fly-rod doubling over as my fly comes through the ball and is smashed by a big bow.

and this fantastic fishery requires a rainbow stamp.
seems kinda silly.
I know it's about raising money into a fund to go back into the fishery and all.
but in what way has that money went back into the rainbow fishery in shuswap?
the little bit of tagging they do?
they do that everywhere, and don't charge extra for fishing those other lakes.

You do have to have a Shuswap lake rainbow trout stamp for trout over 50 cm.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/surcharge.html

But it's very hard to say what is conservation and what is just government tax

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 09:42 AM
I think in order to fish for a certain species it like steelhead, salmon you should have to have a tag. How does anyone know if they are going to c&r unless they see them catch and release a fish. Everyone would just go to the river and fish, then leave quick. If an officer stopped them on the river they would just say oh im just catch and releasing.

Its a way of helping the officers and people monitoring it how many people fish for that species in a year, and who should be out there, and who shouldn't be. C&R is still considered sport fishing, some people bonk them others don't.

Scouting in my opinion is different, because your not handling the animal, catch an release hunting would be like shooting it with a tranquilizer, getting the animal to hand, handling it, then releasing it.

bullshit.
the steelhead is a c&r only most the time up at spences bridge.
same with sturgeon in the fraser.
nobody can keep any anyway.
how's it help officers monitor who should be out there and who shouldn't be?
and no, it's not for any of that.
it's another cash-grab, plain and simple.

adriaticum
07-23-2013, 09:45 AM
bullshit.
the steelhead is a c&r only most the time up at spences bridge.
same with sturgeon in the fraser.
nobody can keep any anyway.
how's it help officers monitor who should be out there and who shouldn't be?
and no, it's not for any of that.
it's another cash-grab, plain and simple.

People who do C&R for steelhead don't buy the stamp.
I hope.

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 09:45 AM

and if they had no fish in their possession, then they aren't breaking any laws.
you are "assuming" everyone would break the law.
so you are painting them guilty when no crime has even been done.

Moe.JKU
07-23-2013, 09:52 AM
You could say that, i'm have just seen the gong show when the fish run, people bonking wild fish, keeping fish out of their limits, etc. Just after seeing the vedder gong show for so long i have lost faith in a lot of people out there fishing.

Not to say there are people that do the right thing and help out by calling rapp and are just good ethical fishermen, because there is. I understand where you are coming from, as I catch and release most of my fish in rivers with the odd exception. But the 15 dollar tag doesn't bother me, its a hobby, and a bad day out on the water is better than the best day at work.

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 09:54 AM
You could say that, i'm have just seen the gong show when the fish run, people bonking wild fish, keeping fish out of their limits, etc. Just after seeing the vedder gong show for so long i have lost faith in a lot of people out there fishing.

Not to say there are people that do the right thing and help out by calling rapp and are just good ethical fishermen, because there is. I understand where you are coming from, as I catch and release most of my fish in rivers with the odd exception. But the 15 dollar tag doesn't bother me, its a hobby, and a bad day out on the water is better than the best day at work.

same here.
I have no problem paying their fees.
but a lot of them make no sense regardless.

adriaticum
07-23-2013, 09:59 AM
same here.
I have no problem paying their fees.
but a lot of them make no sense regardless.

If you are doing C&R, you only pay 1 fee.

Moe.JKU
07-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Fisheries are just underfunded by the government this is just a way to give them some thing to use is what i get out of it.

steel_ram
07-23-2013, 10:13 AM
I consider it a partial user fee. Non fishers might argue why should their tax dollars go into enhancing/protecting something they never use or even see.
C&R does have some impact on a fishery, no where near as much as a bonk fest, but it's still there. Gives the CO's a tool as stated above. So buy a tag cheapo.;)

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 10:25 AM
If you are doing C&R, you only pay 1 fee.

yes and no.
there's always a chance that a fish gets foul-hooked or just played-out too much and can't revive.
then, one would be illegally possessing a fish if they didn't buy that conservation stamp.

604redneck
07-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Makes sense to me for sturgeon. Where do they get the money for conservation otherwise?

adriaticum
07-23-2013, 10:44 AM
yes and no.
there's always a chance that a fish gets foul-hooked or just played-out too much and can't revive.
then, one would be illegally possessing a fish if they didn't buy that conservation stamp.

Well yes and no.
You don't have to keep the fish you can't revive.
All that really matters is that you don't have any fish in your possession and you are ok with the law.
Your question is more of an ethical nature I guess.

The main problem is that we don't really know where the money is going.
It's true that the fisheries are underfunded, but it's also true that we don't know where the money is going and if it's really helping the fisheries.

ducktoller
07-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I am fine paying for catch and release if it goes to support conservation efforts.

IronNoggin
07-23-2013, 11:39 AM
People who do C&R for steelhead don't buy the stamp.
I hope.

THAT will get your gear confiscated and a hefty ticket on ALL the rivers I fish! :wink:

Small Price to pay to remain compliant, even when we all realize it actually AIN'T for the benefit of the resource.

Cheers,
Nog

adriaticum
07-23-2013, 11:57 AM
THAT will get your gear confiscated and a hefty ticket on ALL the rivers I fish! :wink:

Small Price to pay to remain compliant, even when we all realize it actually AIN'T for the benefit of the resource.
Cheers,
Nog

Correction, you do need a stamp for steelhead.
But you don't need a salmon stamp if you don't want to keep salmon nor any classifies water stamps.
You only steelhead and sturgeon just to do C&R.As far as I know.
I don't think it's any different on the Island, is it?

huntcoop
07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
But you don't need a salmon stamp if you don't want to keep salmon nor any classifies water stamps.

Nope, you can river fish all day for pinks with no stamp just don't keep any.

Spy
07-23-2013, 12:29 PM
I would have no problem buying a stamp if it went back in to "FISH " conservation! Buying a stamp for fish you are not fishing for or planning to keep is a crock of shit, especially when the cash collected is going into general revenue.

rides bike to work
07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
I would love to see an opening for sturgeon retention again those things are tasty.

i would also like to see some fisheries like coho on the vedder sockey on the Fraser and other big runs treated as a food fishery for all people. When a person drags a flossed fish on by the tail they should bonk it instead of releasing an exhausted fish then bonking another one flossed in the mouth.
We should have a right to provide wild Salmon to our families with out purist sport c&r fisherman breAthing down our necks.

Sofa King
07-23-2013, 01:11 PM
does anyone know which members on here are CO's?
have any of them come out?
or are they remaining incognito?

IronNoggin
07-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Misunderstanding I guess. You MUST have the stamp when fishing steelhead or sturgeon, regardless if your intent is C&R.
Salmon is another story. No retention, no stamp required.

Cheers,
Nog

Marlin375
07-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Misunderstanding I guess. You MUST have the stamp when fishing steelhead or sturgeon, regardless if your intent is C&R.
Salmon is another story. No retention, no stamp required.

Cheers,
Nog

Seems to me there was also a date involved with the Requirement for a manditory stealhead stamp (Skeena)....like after July 15th when they really start to stack up in the river...going on memory though so don't quote me.