PDA

View Full Version : Roosevelt elk advice

sheepsheen
07-22-2013, 09:58 PM
I have the privilege of chasing an island elk this fall and I was curious if the tactics and strategy differs greatly from pursuing rocky mountain elk? Im ready for the rain..... Any tips, advice or otherwise would be much appreciated.

BlacktailStalker
07-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Where ?

sheepsheen
07-22-2013, 11:12 PM
North island east side

hunter1947
07-23-2013, 03:13 AM
I have the privilege of chasing an island elk this fall and I was curious if the tactics and strategy differs greatly from pursuing rocky mountain elk? Im ready for the rain..... Any tips, advice or otherwise would be much appreciated.

Private PM sent to you..

steel_ram
07-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Figure out by scouting where abouts the elk are hanging out and be first in there (beat the guides) in the morning. They do tend to vanish opening day. I don't know if bugling works, we were advised it didn't as much for these elk, so we didn't on three successful hunts. Ours were all spot and stock to a location ahead of them. Trying to stalk through peripheral herd is pretty tough.

"North Island east side". You don't seriously think there's a secret spot?

sheepsheen
07-23-2013, 09:34 AM
No I dont think its a secret spot thanks...just describing the exact location of my draw

d6dan
07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
No I dont think its a secret spot thanks...just describing the exact location of my drawTalked to Wayne this morning and he's sent you some good advice. Great area for a draw and you should get a Good bull.

hunter1947
07-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Figure out by scouting where abouts the elk are hanging out and be first in there (beat the guides) in the morning. They do tend to vanish opening day. I don't know if bugling works, we were advised it didn't as much for these elk, so we didn't on three successful hunts. Ours were all spot and stock to a location ahead of them. Trying to stalk through peripheral herd is pretty tough.

"North Island east side". You don't seriously think there's a secret spot?

You are right early bird gets the worm..

hunter1947
07-23-2013, 04:43 PM
All I want out of helping you clay is for you to post up story and pictures of you monster bull elk you get this fall..

sheepsheen
07-23-2013, 05:29 PM
I will post a story and pics ....elk or no elk! I just read bigbores story regarding sheep and the Rosi and although im not the writer he is, Ill do my best. Thank you so much hunter1947.