PDA

View Full Version : cold weather clothing/gear opinions needed

mikeboehm
07-21-2013, 03:09 PM
well i got my saskatchewan draw. so i need some info on what gear to buy. i wll be mostly blind stand sitting.

which base layers are good?
which gloves/mitts?
which boots?
Which jackets/pants?

mikeboehm
07-21-2013, 03:10 PM
i forgot to mention. i have irish setter elk trackers, and white coverups/orange hat(as per sask law)

Fred1
07-21-2013, 03:32 PM
When is your draw?

mikeboehm
07-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Noveember 24-dec 2

Ambush
07-21-2013, 03:56 PM
One piece, insulated coveralls with a hood. Two of the thicker foam "hot seats" to put your feet on and to sit on.. Snowmobile mitts large enough to put gloves under.

5.56 Medic
07-21-2013, 04:00 PM
I have just purchased some light weight and mid weight base layers from First Lite, in ASAT camo. They have a good rep on other hunting forums. I am looking forward to trying it out in the Northern Mountains, this fall, we go for goat and moose.

Fred1
07-21-2013, 04:11 PM
OK you have the potential to freeze you ass off. If you are moving around, Base layer pro pro to the skin if you can do that- some cant. If Im not moving much I forgo the polypro. Merino wool!! - feet, legs and top. "Onesies" or the old one piece undewear are a PIA. Go tops and bottoms separate. A wool sweater. Fleece. When its real cold I wear an insulated bib and a heavy down coat. Wool pants will work. Wool toque. Get an Healey Hasen poly pro toque and neck tube - the poly pro keeps the moisture from your breath off your skin. Take mitts. I buy them bigger than i need so I can get them off fast! (Gloves suck IMO) I tend to keep my hands in my pockets most of the time so my mitts are usually just handy nearby. Scarf they are great when the wind is try ingto blow down your neck. And your favorite tank top. The key is layers! For your feet, wool socks and take the insulated snow boots! In a stand or blind you cant move around much to get warm - over dress! Thermos! Get a big one with something warm to drink - this will make the cold far more "enjoyable" dont forget the piss bucket if your blind or stand are up high.
The tank top is for the kill photo so you can say it really wasnt thet cold.....

Sofa King
07-21-2013, 04:19 PM
you didn't say a treestand.
i'm guessing a ground blind
put a little coleman pro-cat in there with you.
my little deer blind stays toasty warm.

Rackmastr
07-21-2013, 05:09 PM
I wear a Raven Wear jacket in late November hunts. Its served me very well and although not cheap by any means, its lasted me several years and has been with me on a ton of cold hunts. With good layering underneath its a versatile system. I've also got a Cabelas Wooltimate Windshear top that goes with me on every late season hunt.

Combine that with a pair of Rocky overalls and some good layers and I'm set. A fleece hoody and a good hat and combo of gloves/mitts and you can sit on stand for a long time.

Ground blind....GOTTA have the propane heater rocking. Changes things like you wouldnt beleive and makes it enjoyable to sit in -30 weather....

Farmer001
07-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Chair / propane heater/ sleeping bag- open bottom up of course / shooting sticks and a bag of spits. Have fun.