PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer to stay in and why

daywalker
07-20-2013, 06:44 PM
So here is the question. If you were planning to stay out in the elements over the winter months and you only had three choices what would it be and why? 1) Wall tent 2) conventional tent 3) 5th wheel/camper. And just a little more info it would be in Northeastern B.C.:-D

buckshot
07-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Definitely a wall tent with a wood burning stove!

TheProvider
07-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Wall tent. Hard too beat the warmth and comfort of a wood stove after a long day in the elements.

daywalker
07-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Just remember we are talking for a good 4 months.

Sofa King
07-20-2013, 07:10 PM
not even a question.
5th wheel/camper all day, any day.
tents are for when a camper isn't an option or available.

BearStump
07-20-2013, 07:16 PM
4 months--5th wheel camper
4 weeks--wall tent

seatoskymiles
07-20-2013, 07:29 PM
wall tent, with a diesel stove

daywalker
07-20-2013, 08:01 PM
I have gone back and worth myself on what to use there are up's and downs with both but my gut keep saying wall tent.

mikeboehm
07-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Wall tent wood stove

TheProvider
07-20-2013, 08:12 PM
IF your going to out in the elements your going to need to be able to dry clothes and gear over night. Wood stove would be best. Taking the extra time to set up a wall tent properly you can be rather comfortable

daywalker
07-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah that is what I am leaning towards for sure I will be by myself throughout this adventure so there is lots to consider.

RINO
07-20-2013, 08:54 PM
If your staying in one location.. It's a no brainer... With all the comforts afforded with hard walls.. Why consider a tent??
Nice to be up off the ground..

Surrey Boy
07-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Are you moving around, or at the same site for all four months?

In NE BC, I'd just rent an oilfield shack.

GotaGun
07-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Me i use a camper because quick and easy 1-7 days

But a wall tent and wood stove is dry heat and unlimeted(as much wood as you can cut.
also guys i've been with we have put a tarp over canvas roof to make it water proof,( stove vented out the wall)
wall tent and stove was more dry and dried out cloths better.

my camper is nice and simple but try to dry clothes inside is a pain and if 2-3 people in there with wet clothes forget it.

Next option cargo/enclosed trailer lots of guys got em for cars say a 20 footer, haul all your gear in it then install woodstove through side vent and instant shelter and woodstove.

GotaGun
07-20-2013, 09:20 PM
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj574/fabbro2/null_zps32670fd5.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/fabbro2/media/null_zps32670fd5.jpg.html)

Jim Prawn
07-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Wood stove is the key. Get wet one day staying in a camper or trailer and you'll be wet for a week. Wood stove you can crank up and dry out in a couple hours. Learned this the easy way when we took the tent instead of the trailer on an elk hunt and got drenched on the first day. Everyone dry by the end of the day. Know a couple guys with custom built trailers with wood stoves - nice option. Pack their quads on the way up then warm and dry when you get there.
JM

SingleShot
07-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Wall tent for sure. Like has been said, you set it up right and it's really livable. More room to move around, better headspace , more options to set it out the way you want . Living in a tin building sucks.

Sofa King
07-20-2013, 09:30 PM
who cares what dries clothes faster.
in a 5th wheel/camper you have a whole closet or two of fresh clothes.
quit livin' in the dark ages people.
sure there's a romantic feel with a tent, but, c'mon, we're civilized now.

J_T
07-20-2013, 09:31 PM
A wall tent helps you heal. Anything tin and without wood heat only helps you endure.

Surrey Boy
07-20-2013, 09:36 PM
^ Is that your avatar talking?

Sofa King
07-20-2013, 09:37 PM
if a flood hit, would you rather all your belongings be in a tent, or nicely protected in a camper that you just rip outta there in.

blackwater
07-20-2013, 09:38 PM
If you go with a 5th Wheel, make sure you have it finished for winter. They are made for warm weather camping. Even after you have the entire bottom sprayed with insulation foam, you can expect the crapper to freeze up. If you can insulate the air space under the trailer, you might be able to keep it from freezing. It will need to turn into a semi-permanent structure. We used hay bales all around the edges, but it still wasn't enough to keep them from freezing....oh, and expect to pay a small fortune to keep it warm. Wood is mostly free, but propane and electricity isn't...

J_T
07-20-2013, 09:39 PM
/\ my heart talking. Many long months in both. Both give you cover. Canvas and wood give you quality.

J_T
07-20-2013, 09:41 PM
if a flood hit, would you rather all your belongings be in a tent, or nicely protected in a camper that you just rip outta there in.
First, I'd pick a better spot.

RINO
07-20-2013, 09:54 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2MSnSKoUCz7R3q3YJcbraJt3FFUbQs VvbqoxHsOnNLyGzdy2z

DartNorth
07-20-2013, 10:08 PM
We stayed in my Travel Trailer last fall moose hunting. It was -10 at night, up to -5 during the day. I don't think we got it above 15 degrees in there. And that would be after the furnace running for 4 hours after getting back at the end of the day. When we've used a wall tent in -10, we are in t-shirts within 15 minutes.
For a 6 day trip, we used about 45 lbs of propane. That would work out to about 225 lbs of propane a month, plus generator running almost full time to keep the batteries charged (The Furnace draws a lot of juice). Add that to the fact that we never really got warm, and never really got stuff dry. We had icicles running down the side of the trailer underneath the window drains, and condensation dripping off the skylight.

We've agreed that from now on, we will be wall tenting it in the fall.

The best of both worlds would be a rv with a wall tent attached with a stove in it, you just leave the door to the trailer open to keep it heated. I did see a picture a while ago on one of the tent manufacturer sites, but can't seem to find it now. It might of been Northwest Shelters, but I'm not sure. I wish I had book marked it.

Ry151
07-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Where the heck are you staying that a flood is a possibility in the winter?

daywalker
07-20-2013, 10:27 PM
All good valued points that I have thought about. The biggest thing will be when it hits -30 -40 I will have no power to hook up to. It would be like living in a tin can. Would be near impossible to keep the pipes from freezing. The wall tent or 5th wheel would be in one spot for the duration. If I chose a wall tent I would build a small platform for the thing and cots keep you off the ground anyway. The wall tents I have been in were like sitting in my living room.

Big Lew
07-20-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm surprised that "Hunter1947" hasn't responded....I recall him relating his experience with trying to stay in his mountains late in the year at minus degrees....he just about froze. He experienced what "DartNorth" did, could barely keep from freezing even with the propane heater going full time. Another big problem is the excessive condensation inside campers etc. when the temperature drops, or it rains. A wall tent with a wood stove out the side so that a waterproof tarp can cover the roof makes for quite a warm and dry environment even in the dead of winter provided you have a good wood supply.

daywalker
07-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Yes and I was even considering going so far as getting a insulated wall tent from Deluxe

solo
07-20-2013, 10:52 PM
You also have to figure on the amount of time it is going to take to keep your wall tent wind proofed, and keep the snow off the roof and away from the sides. I would definitely pick the wall tent, though. After a few days living in our trailer at -15 celcius, we never really got comfortable.

daywalker
07-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Yeah that seems to be the general opinion cold weather is and trailers are not the best.

Surrey Boy
07-20-2013, 11:13 PM
My first winter in FSJ I rented a travel trailer. We insulated it outside and had two space heaters going and it was usually above freeing inside. Being plumbed into the house, utilities were not an issue.

ufishifish2
07-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Depends. Will you have a constant supply of electricity?? If yes I would use a camper/trailer with little electric heaters. The propane heat is too wet and will rot out the camper or trailer in a hurry. If you don't have a constant power supply I would use a wall tent because the wood heat is sooooooo nice.

hunter1947
07-21-2013, 04:48 AM
For me I would stay in my new wall tent have lots of wood under my tarp 4 cords this way I know I would keep warm and the creek only 100 feet from my tent for water ,I would have a 12 foot scrapper on hand to clear the snow off the tarp roof as for a couple shovels on hand ,,frig the camper I had a very bad experience with the camping thing a few years ago in late Nov ,,never again camper for late summer months and early fall months for me only when I use a camper..

longwalk
07-21-2013, 06:57 AM
I have wall tent and a trailer. Trailer is for camping with the wife and kids. Wall tent is for camping/hunting when it is cold outside. A good stove is a must in a tent. your cot will also need a good insulated pad. that 10" of airspace bteween the bottom of your cot and the ground is basically the same as the outside temperature and you will feel it in the night.

nature girl
07-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Id have a camper but I would not have water in the holding tanks of the camper so they could freeze and wreck the lines and stuff. But I would also have a small wall tent with a stove for hanging out in and drying the wet cloths.

daywalker
07-21-2013, 07:48 AM
There will be no power supply beside a small generator. And I will be located in a fairly isolated area.

Steelwheels
07-21-2013, 08:30 AM
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj574/fabbro2/null_zps32670fd5.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/fabbro2/media/null_zps32670fd5.jpg.html)

x2........

DGuest
07-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Wall tent for sure, trailers are way to cold.

.330 Dakota
07-21-2013, 08:50 AM
who cares what dries clothes faster.
in a 5th wheel/camper you have a whole closet or two of fresh clothes.
quit livin' in the dark ages people.
sure there's a romantic feel with a tent, but, c'mon, we're civilized now.

Ageed,,waaay more conveiniant,,cooking on the gas range,,having a fridge,,possible a hot shower if you have an Arctic Fox winter model,,jus to name a few

geoskier
07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
You shouldn't have any problem with a wall tent. Mineral exploration camps have been using them (year round) for ages. I would strongly suggest making a wood frame with a solid base (2x6 and 3/4" ply). Also make some walls so you can build shelves into them.

Use a bunch of 3/8" ply as stripping to nail the plastic bottoms to the side of the tent. This will keep out drafts. The porches are also really useful on wall tents.

The outfitter cylinder stoves work really well and are definitely my pick for stoves. And definitely tarp it up.

For installation, don't use the yellow rope from Crappy Tire. Get some proper rope from someone like Mammut (4mm). It will tie much better and does a much slicker job.

I would also get a back window installed if possible. You will want the extra lighting. (using clear plastic window covers)

Bear Chaser
07-21-2013, 09:46 AM
I've been reading the replies to this thread with some interest as I live in NEBC. I know guys that stay in their trailers all winter due to work requirements. They are all where there is Hydro power available. In order to lessen chances of freezing their water and sewer lines they have to put some kind of insulative cladding around the base of the unit as well as a supplementary heat source under the trailer.

What is the rationale behind this post?
What is the reason that you will be staying out in the bush during the winter?
If it's for work purposes I would strongly suggest you stay in whatever camp is in the area. Camps suck but so does bathing with a facecloth. What will your prospective employer think of you staying in a tent and never coming to work truly rested or asphixiating in your sleep? I wouldn't tolerate it and I wouldn't put up with too many BS excuses for why you were late, tired, or missing when you are needed to do your job.

Now if you just want to go have an adventure and you have no work responsibilities by all means have at it. My only question would be whether you have any experience at all with -30 to -40 weather. Ever work in it? How about when the wind is blowing and you literally have minutes before your exposed hands and face are frostbitten to the point of uselessness?
I'm not trying to crap all over your idea but unless you've experienced the type of cold you will encounter you have no idea what you are getting into.

frenchbar
07-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Whens it hits -35 for a month ..wont matter if your in a W/T.or a trailer ..you'll wish you were in a Holiday Inn:)

panhead
07-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Friends ranch house ... comes with satellite TV, high speed internet, home cooked meals, heat, laundry, shower and great company. If lucky shoot a moose out the kitchen window. Can't get much better than this ... hunting used to be hard but as I age it seems to be easier ... I find it doesn't really matter if I shoot anything anymore just enjoy the trip. Meat is just a bonus ...

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Where the heck are you staying that a flood is a possibility in the winter? New Orleans. Holland. He might even pitch it up in a creek. Duallie does some funny things. Like not thinking before speaking. Just Say in.

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Ageed,,waaay more conveiniant,,cooking on the gas range,,having a fridge,,possible a hot shower if you have an Arctic Fox winter model,,jus to name a few
Yes I thought of paying $40,000 for an Arctic fox. But had a hard time seeing my horses packing it up a mountain.

Sofa King
07-21-2013, 10:23 AM
New Orleans. Holland. He might even pitch it up in a creek. Duallie does some funny things. Like not thinking before speaking. Just Say in.

hahaha.
yeah, I got running thru my head on what might be the disadvantages between the two, and thought of a flood.
wasn't thinking of the seasons anymore.
but hey, global warming right? yaneverno.

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 10:25 AM
hahaha.
yeah, I got running thru my head on what might be the disadvantages between the two, and thought of a flood.
wasn't thinking of the seasons anymore.
but hey, global warming right? yaneverno.
No problem D. Just trying to tickle yur toes.

Sofa King
07-21-2013, 10:27 AM
still curious as to why op will be doing this?
is it for work?
or just for the experience?
if it isn't for work, and actually not necessary, I wouldn't even attempt it.
how close to the coast might it be?

J_T
07-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Whens it hits -35 for a month ..wont matter if your in a W/T.or a trailer ..you'll wish you were in a Holiday Inn:)hmm perhaps not entirely. During our late season whitetail hunting we've spent two weeks at -30 and never felt uncomfortable. Lots of other issues come up with that temperature (Cold dumps in the morning...) but not living and sleeping.

I've got a buddy who has lived the last ten years in a wall tent. Winter spring summer fall. It's his only home.

Another note for the op. If you are tying a tarp, the key is to use bungy cords with your rope. The bungy provides just enough give, keeps things taut and enough give that a big wind or heavy snow isn't going to tear things apart.

Man alone, can live in a wall tent. The only reason he needs a castle is because he has a wife. The only reason the castle needs a moat is if she's good looking.

ufishifish2
07-21-2013, 10:45 AM
There will be no power supply beside a small generator. And I will be located in a fairly isolated area.
Wall tent for sure then IMO.
I stayed in my camper at Pink Mtn in January on a bison hunt a couple of years back. It was -36 degrees and we stayed warm and cozy in there the entire time........ after the initial warm up period (6-8 hours). The propane furnace/heater was pretty busy, as was the generator needed to run the lights and the fan in the furnace. It worked well for a week, but I would not like to do it for any longer.

betteroffishing
07-21-2013, 11:02 AM
as some others have said , a small trailer / camper oppening up into a arather large wall tent with wood burning fuel would be the cats ass.

landphil
07-21-2013, 11:16 AM
how close to the coast might it be?

He said Northeastern BC, think about it.:wink:

And I'd go with a wall tent with a woodstove over a camper or trailer, no question. Insulated, or insulate the inside yourself with a load of quilts from value village, etc. Longer term like that would justify hauling in a good airtight stove that will run 12+hours too, skip the tin barrel stoves.

longwalk
07-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Buddy of mine took his son out for youth season a couple of years ago and used his 29' travel trailer. I think three days of cold and damp was all they could take. Generator ran constantly. They got rained and snowed on first day and never could get dry or warm. At temps of minus 30 or colder your usable amount of propane in your tanks decreases by close to 40% and your batteries will not come close to discharging properly. Same friend and I used my tent on a moose hunt when it dropped down to minus 20 at night and were comfortable. With the stove drafted halfway you could be in a T shirt. I have a four season Arctic Fox and going long term in the winter in it would not be my first choice.

daywalker
07-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I live up here and have had lots of experience in -35 -40 temps. Will not be working unless you call hunting working. I have some time and opportunity to do this and that does not happen often so I am taking advantage of it.

cambo
07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
wall tent for sure, tarp it and keep the tarp off the tent so your tent can breath ( i used a semi tarp and if on tent it sweats and drips inside) use a tarp big enough for a good sized porch and enjoy! i was in -15 and tent was 35!! stove was cherry. just seeing how hot it would get.

604redneck
07-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Wall tent any day

The Hermit
07-22-2013, 12:31 AM
If you are going to be in one place then build an insulated plywood floor that is about 6 inches off a nice level spot... then add an underlay and carpet. Buy a FIVE truss, insulated wall tent from VantagePoint Outfitters and a big ass outfitters wood stove. We have the best pricing on the net! Insulated Wall Tents (http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/insulated-hermitage-deluxe-insulated-canvas-wall-tent/) BTW - a five foot porch addition will help shelter the door from prevailing wind and will make getting in an out much more comfortable.

If it was me I'd want a 14x16 tent, and I'd tarp it to keep the snow off the tent. I have a customer that prospects and lives in his tent all winter... he piles snow quite high up the walls to help with the insulation too. Give me a call.

Ozzy
07-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Wall tent, Nothing like coming back after a hard days hunt and getting the stove glowing in a cozy wall tent.

stillwater
07-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Wall tent. In really cold weather,we will run a roll 4ft roll of corrugated cardboard between the frame posts and tent. Its cheap, keeps the temp. up and the wind down. It also keeps the camp fire going when your packing up.