PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Caribou

geoskier
07-16-2013, 11:37 PM
I never got around to posting this last summer, but I was just thinking about last summer so I decided to give a little post.

I spotted this guy on opening day, running across the other side of an alpine valley. I watched him until he disappeared into the willows. I could just barely see the shimmer of his velvet in the willows but that was it. So I got one buddy stay put with the spotter and give me hand signals as to the bou's location. Turns out he never saw the damn thing until I had shot it. Either way, I raced down one side of the valley and up the other one, using a small willow choked draw for cover. I got to within about 200 yards of where I thought he was and was in prone position waiting for him to get up....

He was clearly being accosted by a swarm of bugs and I could see his antlers jerking around in the sun... that was all I could see...

I managed to close the gap to 150 yards... still in prone and in excellent position. At this point I could see his antlers through my scope but nothing more... it did give me a chance to judge him and he was at least 5 points on both. Turns out he was 6 on one and 7 on the other (just shy of 8 ).

I was getting impatient and it turns out he was too. All of a sudden, he jumped up and moved towards me about 20 yards. He came up and out of my field of view so I only had one choice - to stand. I stood up and fired almost instantly. By the time I lifted my gun away, all I could see were 4 legs up in the air. He didn't move an inch...

Since it was opening day and about 27 degrees out (at 6000ft), we didn't waste anytime and got to work. It was a tough hike back to camp (about 7km and down a steep hill).

It was my first caribou and I hope to get many more.

The pictures weren't amazing since we were in such a rush, and since I am fairly new to hunting. Here are some pictures:

Here he is

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a511/westcoastgeologist/IMG_0088_zps69f38691.jpg

Getting Down to Work

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a511/westcoastgeologist/IMG_0091_zps96275df7.jpg

Start of the Pack Out

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a511/westcoastgeologist/DSC00330_zps7ce16526.jpg

doubled
07-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Awesome experience, thanks for this.

islander7mm
07-17-2013, 06:06 AM
Awesome! Looks like beautiful country.

SHACK
07-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Great hunt, but next time turn the bone out of the meat to lighten the load up for yourself! ;)

SR80
07-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Wow look at that country! Beauty caribou! When did you say you were going to take me again?

Hillbros_96
07-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Thanks for sharing.

geoskier
07-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Great hunt, but next time turn the bone out of the meat to lighten the load up for yourself! ;)

No kidding! I will certainly be doing that if I get a sheep in a couple weeks.

One other note: It was pretty damn hot when I was there and one trick that worked pretty well was hanging the meet under a silvitarp. Those are the forestry ones that have a silver lining and a white outer. They significantly reduce the temperature underneath.

kennyj
07-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Sounds like an exciting stalk! Nice caribou and great pics.
kenny

Fella
07-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Hallelujah! Thanks for posting the story! Awesome 'bou, great pics, sounds like you had a great time!

604redneck
07-17-2013, 07:56 PM
beauty bou i hope to get one like that one day

geoskier
07-17-2013, 08:25 PM
beauty bou i hope to get one like that one day

Just go to the right place and it will happen. I haven't been hunting long but have been surprised at how easy caribou are to hunt. It's getting into caribou country that is the commitment!

rattle e 6speed
07-17-2013, 08:42 PM

I did some research before my caribou hunt last year and found that a caribou leg bone is only about 8 pounds. I chose to leave bone in for the structure. Not the most elusive critter we have but they are still a pile of fun to hunt. Thx for sharing.

Hammerhead
07-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for posting up and a nice boo. Got to get one of these dashdash

riflebuilder
07-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Great Bou. I took my daughter out hunting and she got a booner bou for her first animal.

Surrey Boy
07-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Just go to the right place and it will happen. I haven't been hunting long but have been surprised at how easy caribou are to hunt. It's getting into caribou country that is the commitment!

Really?

Congrats on the kill!

geoskier
07-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Really?

Congrats on the kill!

Yup. While working (during hunting season), I have got within 50 yards of legal bulls countless times. If they are in a remote setting and likely haven't seen a human, their curiosity gets them. That being said, to get to most of the areas I am referring to require a plane. This bull was taken on a fly in. I am sure there are plenty of ops by the Racing River area though. Similar to goats in a way... not that hard to sneak up on, but to get within sneak up distance usually requires a long haul or a steep climb.