PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Jacket - Insulated vs UnInsulated

Speratus
07-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Hey guys, just wondering your thoughts on a Hunting Jacket. I've got a Helly Hansen baselayer, a very thick warm wool sweater, and then an Insulated waterproof camp jacket. I'm worried that I might be a tad warm...? I was thinking of trading the insualted jacket for an un-insulated jacket because I have the sweater. I do need it to be waterproof just incase it rains.

I could keep the sweater, get a fleece vest, and an uninsulated waterproof jacket.
Thoughts, comments, and advice is welcome.

Cheers!
D

Mikey Rafiki
07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I would love to have a good uninsulated water proof hunting jacket, but could be pricey. Something really quiet if rubbed against itself or the bush and quiet when rain hits it. You can always add layers underneath and it's nice to be as cool as possible for those rainy days when it's warm or your hiking a lot because the sweat will be trapped inside. She might be another hot September.

onpoint
07-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Depending on your budget, I'd look at Kuiu's new Yukon rain jacket. Unreal waterproofness and supposedly quiet enough to stalk in but I can't say that from experience. I have the Chugach and it is literally bombproof and light as can be but a little noisier material. The Yukon with a good base layer would be my choice. I have a bunch of their gear and have been very happy with it.

Speratus
07-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Just not sure if ill need an insulated jacket if I've already got a wool mid layer...?
Thoughts?

emerson
07-19-2013, 09:18 PM
When you are sitting still after several hours of hiking in the rain/snow you will appreciate an insulated jacket. Especially if you are hungry.

Tenacious Billy
07-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Just not sure if ill need an insulated jacket if I've already got a wool mid layer...?
Thoughts? The conditions you're hunting in will dictate what you should be wearing.....better to be too warm and have to remove a layer than to be freezing your balls off and wishing you had more to wear.

shadowhunter
07-19-2013, 11:20 PM
I wear my mid weight fleece with or without an unisulated jacket depending on the weather, this is when im walking or still hunting/stalking. When i sit down or take a break i throw on my stanfields overtop of my sweater. This is my setup for weather from 8 to 15 degrees usually late sept or early oct. anything colde I use an insulated waterproof jacket and adjust layers accordingly.

wlbc
07-21-2013, 08:54 AM
There is seldom one answer to your question as there are too many variables such as: where you hunt, when you hunt, how you hunt, and your unique physiology.

For example, my late four point season attire can be quite bulky because it can often be -20C or lower. My spring bear gear is lighter because it is warmer. You can see the possible variations...

So my gear locker has evolved over the years to include: some merino wool undergarments, light pants and shirts, some sweaters and vests for layering, an insulated set of jacket and pants for truly cold weather, a shell set of rain gear sized to go over what I am wearing, an uninsulated pair of good quality boots and an insulated pair of boots.

I can go on with the minutae but I think you get the idea. The other thing I would counsel is to save up and buy good quality as it will last and serve you better; there is nothing worse that having the enjoyment of a hunt detracted by sore feet, cold feet, chilled due to wind and/or rain, etc.

E.V.B.H.
07-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Go uninsulated. You can always add more layers and it will be a much more versatile jacket. Big bulky insulated outerwear is a thing of the Past. Lots of layers lets you fine tune throughout the day and seasons.

geoskier
07-21-2013, 09:25 AM
I've got the Kuiu Yukon and will be testing it out in a week or so on a sheep hunt. I also own an arcteryx (rush) goretex and have owned patagonia goretex in the past. I am skeptical that the Kuiu will work as well in heavy rain - but it is much quieter. I would personally suggest doing the layering thing as opposed to an insulated jacket. A wool stannie and a down vest underneath a shell should be fine for pretty much any weather unless you are hunting Bison in December...

Farmer001
07-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Geoskier, looking forward to your review. Am in the same boat, have a old gortex that has seen much abuse and the newer stuff just does not seem like will hold up to the same abuse.

Fred1
07-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Jumping into a thread un read... Browning makes pretty good wind proof water proof breathable stuff Xchange system has worked pretty good for me over the last 7 years or so. I still wear my first jacket doing forestry work and am amazed at the durability! GUess I didnt need to replace it yet... Good price too!! About $140 for the non insulated outer jacket I think!

Fred1
07-21-2013, 07:45 PM
oh and not to piss off the Sitka guys.. Its pretty good stuff too!! I wont be wearing it at work though... :D