PDA

View Full Version : kicker

Sofa King
07-16-2013, 10:02 AM
what would you consider the proper size kicker motor for a 24' sunrunner cabin cruiser?
would a 9.9 Honda 4-stroke be sufficient?

adriaticum
07-16-2013, 10:04 AM
I was on a boat with Pacific angler the other day; 27' grady white and they have a 9 Hp kicker.

Sofa King
07-16-2013, 10:09 AM
that's what I thought.
my brah has a brand spanking new Honda 4-stroke 9.9 just sitting around.
but some guy was telling him he should get up around a 15 hp for his kicker.
I think his 9.9 should be plenty good.

longstonec
07-16-2013, 10:28 AM
High thrust also. And a Yamaha

Lower hp and smaller prop engines will be running at a higher RPM -making more noise- to push your boat at the same speed as a slightly larger version with a larger prop.

i.e. 8hp engine I had as an emergency backup for long runs, running wide open would push my 25 foot Monaro along at a stiff 3-4mph.

adriaticum
07-16-2013, 10:56 AM
High thrust also. And a Yamaha

Lower hp and smaller prop engines will be running at a higher RPM -making more noise- to push your boat at the same speed as a slightly larger version with a larger prop.

i.e. 8hp engine I had as an emergency backup for long runs, running wide open would push my 25 foot Monaro along at a stiff 3-4mph.

These guys have all Yamaha and you can barely hear them. The guide was actually telling us how those new motors they got a so quiet.
Twin 200 and a 9 kicker

BRvalley
07-16-2013, 10:56 AM
I view my kicker has a backup too, not just trolling...I have an 8hp on a 17' lund and the two times I've had to rely on it to get back to the launch (about 8-10 km's each time), I sure wish I had a 9.9....looking to upgrade for next summer

Ozone
07-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Another vote for the 9.9 high thrust

pnbrock
07-16-2013, 11:06 AM
I had a 9.9 on my 25 Grady now I have a 15 long much better.

longstonec
07-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Although my vote is always for Yamaha for outboards. Honda makes a fantastic engine and wont disuade anybody from buying one. I just buy Yamahas... Mercs, evenrudes. johnson's make great anchors.

Sofa King
07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
he got a great deal on the Honda, second-hand, but never used.
it was bought to use on his little inflatable, but I was thinking it should be fine for his sunrunner.
I know he's looking for a 15 hp, but the 9.9 should do the trick.
it's just for trolling, and in the worst case scenario, for safety should the inboard calve.

i'm a merc guy myself, but I gotta say, that Honda is whisper quiet and a great motor.

CR CRUISER
07-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I have run 32' 10,000 pound boats with either a 9.9 or 25 Yamaha high thrust motors. For trolling they are just about the same as far as steering and thrust. As an emergency power source, the 9.9 will push the boat about 3.5 knots. The 25 will push it about 4.5 knots. For a lot more money you only gain 1 knot.

I am not sure that Honda makes a high thrust 9.9. A non-high thrust motor doesn't work well for your application.

I recommend the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. Make sure that you get at least a long (20") or preferrably an extra long (25") and that it is mounted low enough that it will not come out of the water in rolling seas. The ideal would be a 25" on a fixed bracket with electric start, power trim and remote control. It's big money to invest but if you cheap out you will regret it.

Salty
07-16-2013, 01:55 PM
he got a great deal on the Honda, second-hand, but never used.
it was bought to use on his little inflatable, but I was thinking it should be fine for his sunrunner.

If it was bought for a small inflatable I'm thinking its a short shaft. That won't work as a kicker on a big V boat you need the length to get the entire prop down below the hull so that the motor is pushing into unobstructed water and not into the transom. BTDT with a short shaft, you make a lot of noise running the snot out of the motor with piss poor performance. As said by far the best way to go is with a high thrust kicker for this size of boat. I'd trade the Honda in and get a 9.9 Yamaha long shaft high thrust.

Jagermeister
07-16-2013, 02:48 PM
I run a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke high thrust with a 25" leg on my 19' Campion. It does the job but the top end is a mere 5 mph on dead water. Add a little wind and it slows considerably, an opposing running tide would have the same affect. So given that, I would want a little more power for a 24' were it me, at least 15hp.
I have run mine in Juan de Fuca strait in fine weather, but not balsy when it gets gusty.

Sofa King
07-17-2013, 11:07 AM
If it was bought for a small inflatable I'm thinking its a short shaft. That won't work as a kicker on a big V boat you need the length to get the entire prop down below the hull so that the motor is pushing into unobstructed water and not into the transom. BTDT with a short shaft, you make a lot of noise running the snot out of the motor with piss poor performance. As said by far the best way to go is with a high thrust kicker for this size of boat. I'd trade the Honda in and get a 9.9 Yamaha long shaft high thrust.

spot on.
I forgot, that was indeed one of the main factors why he was looking for something else.
it's a short shaft and won't work properly.