PDA

View Full Version : BC Parks and a BB gun?

Drillbit
07-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Going to be stuck in a very remote BC Park for a few days.

Want to take along a 275fps Daisy Buck BB gun for some plinking entertainment.

It's a no hunting or firearms park.

I should be ok with a 275fps bb gun right?

Darksith
07-14-2013, 07:20 PM
yup, its not a firearm, its an air rifle. Thats my 2 cents, I could be wrong though. A bow isn't a firearm either, its all about fps I believe

Johnny G1
07-14-2013, 07:42 PM
You want to be careful with all those anti's out there, will look like a awesome killer to them????

Drillbit
07-14-2013, 08:07 PM
You want to be careful with all those anti's out there, will look like a awesome killer to them????

Wait....So no beard, full camo and facepaint then??:)

Seriously though, I don't think I'll be seeing anybody

Johnny G1
07-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Wait....So no beard, full camo and facepaint then??:)

Seriously though, I don't think I'll be seeing anybody You Hope not to see anybody.

squamishhunter
07-14-2013, 08:24 PM
The average bumbling ontarian won't know one end from the other, you'll be fine.

bearhunter338-06
07-14-2013, 09:29 PM
No matter what the FPS is a pellet rifle is still considered a firearm. I would double check with someone who knows better then us lol.

boxhitch
07-14-2013, 09:33 PM
I should be ok with a 275fps bb gun right? Check the def. of a firearm
Lots of rules in Parks about firearm use. BCParks.ca , and the Parks Act BCLaw.ca and the bc hunting regulations env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

aggiehunter
07-14-2013, 09:40 PM
erppppp.....an airgun is not a firearm....

blackbart
07-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Drill bit - you should think about your attitude a bit "being stuck in a park" versus "I get to spend a bunch of time away from the evils of modern society".

If your time in the "park" is work related you should be happy about it.

Just my two cents and happy to hear otherwise

Drillbit
07-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Drill bit - you should think about your attitude a bit "being stuck in a park" versus "I get to spend a bunch of time away from the evils of modern society".

If your time in the "park" is work related you should be happy about it.

Just my two cents and happy to hear otherwise

By stuck in the park I mean;

I spend a lot of time all over this province off the pavement with "no service" and enjoy the freedom a lot. I prefer to carry a gun with me because there is nobody to call for help if I need it. I also carry extra gas, a shovel, come-along, etc.

I'm am not of fan of BC Parks and HATE going to the ones with firearms restrictions because I like to be able to take care of myself.

I understand that in highly populated Parks, like Jasper, there should be enough tourists around that I can outrun one of them, if need be, and a gun really isn't needed there. Another reason I dislike parks is that they are usually populated.

The Park I'm going into is boat access only, and very remote. I normally wouldn't go to one of these Parks but the hockey team wants to fish, so we're going.

Anyways, I'm sure it'll be fun, and I want to bring a pathetic BB gun for some shooting entertainment ($ tournament!) and it's even more pathetic that I have to wonder if it's legal because I'll be in a Park, instead of simply using common sense with it.

Anybody know if a Daisy Buck .177, 275fps is good for Bear defence? Left or right nut, or center mass beanbag? :)

Philcott
07-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Anybody know if a Daisy Buck .177, 275fps is good for Bear defence? Left or right nut, or center mass beanbag? :)

As long as you have enough room to get a good swing with it you should be good to go.

Sofa King
07-15-2013, 08:35 AM
if you can get close enough to ram the whole rifle up the pipe, that should be enough to immobilize the bear.
or maybe piss him off even more.

Ron.C
07-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Here's what the CFC has to say wrt Air Rifles, whats a firearm, whats not, and when you can be charged for using a non firearm designated air rifle.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/air_gun-arme_air-eng.htm

And my take on how this would be viewed by Prov/Nat park authorities that prohibit discharge of firearms/bows is that they will still take exception to someone using an Air Rifle that is not classed as a firearm.

35 Whelen
07-15-2013, 10:19 AM
The pellet rifle or BB gun IS IN FACT a firearm under the Wildlife act . Anything that fires a projectile by way of compressed gas, air or spring is in fact a firearm. FPS has nothing to do with it. If you are in a park with NO FIREARMS as a stipulation you would be in violation of that rule, unless of course you are in a park when a legal hunting season is open. Then of course you would need to be in possession of a firearms licence. You likely wouldn't get into and trouble taking one, but you could get the guy who is a stickler for details and black is black and white is white...no grey area.

BlackOwL
07-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Going to be stuck in a very remote BC Park for a few days.

Want to take along a 275fps Daisy Buck BB gun for some plinking entertainment.

It's a no hunting or firearms park.

I should be ok with a 275fps bb gun right?

If is not a hunting or firearms park You might want to take a look on page 3 of the hunting and trapping regulations the definition of "Firearm" includes a BB gun as Firearm.

But the problem could be if a CO sees You in any Hunting activity also see definition in Page 3 of the H&TR's under "Hunt & Hunting"

I would think at first that You will have no problem for plinking, But just to be in the safe side, send an E-mail to the CO of the region You want to go and carry that E-mail with you in the field so You have proof that You want to be abiding by the book.

Darksith
07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
wow, there are sure a lot of sticklers on this site...if it was me I wouldn't of even made the post and I would of simply taken my TOY with me. So my kids TOY that lobs a plastic projectiles from the arm of his transformer is a firearm...come on, this thread has gone from over catious to hilarious

Big Lew
07-15-2013, 02:01 PM
As "Blackowl" points out....read page 3 of the hunting and trapping regulations.
I'm not, nor would I suggest that "Drillbit" is less than an upright and law- abiding fellow, but far too often I've seen individuals shooting bb and pellet guns at birds and other wildlife around campgrounds and within parks. Many also leave a mess with their broken or discarded targets. Because of this, I personally would leave the plunking for somewhere else other than within a park rather than feed the public perception about gun owners and hunters.

Darksith
07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
you only feed public perception if you leave a mess...if you don't know one would ever know you are there.