PDA

View Full Version : Who's get ready for their Sheep hunt?

Rob
07-14-2013, 05:52 PM
2 weeks to go..leave Merritt on the 28th one night in Smithers then one night in Telegraph creek and we fly out on the 30th for sheep/goat. Gear has been gone through and scrutinized over and over, no extra's except IPOD for music and audio books (if rained in) food has been decided on....Just need a nice high pressure system for glassing and lots o' luck. Anybody else getting fired up?

Rob
07-14-2013, 05:53 PM
oh and a pint of Southern Comfort. I guess that would be an extra...

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Absolutely pumped, lucky enough that I live right by the sheep and can go out for multiple 3-4 day trips. So excited.

Wade
07-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I was drawn for a sheep in keromeos ten years ago when all those forest fires were happening. I was working in northern alberta and my hunt got postponed by two weeks and I couldn't make the trip. Good luck on yours

Rob
07-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Absolutely pumped, lucky enough that I live right by the sheep and can go out for multiple 3-4 day trips. So excited.

Nice. 3-4 day trips would be great for pack weight. I should be around 55lbs for 8 days on the mountain

358mag
07-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Nice. 3-4 day trips would be great for pack weight. I should be around 55lbs for 8 days on the mountain

Good on you Rob if you can get down to 55lbs for a 8 days on the mountains , care to post a list on what your using to help the rest of us, always trying to loss a lb or 3 off my back . Thanks

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah it's gonna be sweet.

Rob
07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Good on you Rob if you can get down to 55lbs for a 8 days on the mountains , care to post a list on what your using to help the rest of us, always trying to loss a lb or 3 off my back . Thanks

You bet, give me a couple days (or maybe tomorrow). curious to see final as well. Really trying to go basic on this one.

longstonec
07-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Audio books are fantastic. Used to listen to "The Hobbit" on long road trips as a kid. Library is always a good source and then rip onto hard drive. insert onto iTunes.

sheepaholic
07-15-2013, 02:45 PM
ive been training a dog for packing so this year im hoping to get 10-12 lbs of me and on her
i cant wait for this trip i missed last year so pretty pumped for this year ive been going through gear for a week and a half
This will be my cousins first sheep trip so hopefully i can get him close to a ram

RINO
07-15-2013, 03:04 PM

Main + Hastings...??

Rob
07-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Eberlestock 9lbs

Cold Gear:

-Russel base layer pants
-Marmot touque
-Sitka transverse hoodie base layer = 1lb 40z

Mid Layer:

-Ice Breaker 320
-MTN Hardwear down vest(pillow)
- 2x socks 2x undies = 2lbs 8 oz

Outer Gear:

-Cabealas Pac lite gore jacket
-Rivers west fleece rain pants =2lbs

Tent Gear:

-Big Agnes Fly Creek ul 2
-foot print
-exped synmat ul 7
-sil tarp 3 (10x12)
-Mont Bell Alpine hugger(-8) stored in 10L dry bag =7.8 lbs

Rifle:
Winchester model 70 super grade 30-06 with 10 bullets =10lbs

Misc stuff:

-50' thin rope =2.25 oz
-head lamp =3 oz
-Gerber knife =5.2 oz
-Primus fuel(lg) =13.3 oz
-havalon piranta =3.1oz
-1st aid kit =3 oz
-3 spare buckles =2.8oz
-misc meds =2 oz
-compass =3 oz
-GPS with maps =7 oz
-fire starter x 2 =2oz
-ipod =3.5
-TP = 5oz
-plastic spoon/pocket rocket/cup/stove stand = 8.8
= 3.8 lbs

FOOD:

BREAKFAST:
-Granola w dreis fruit/Bran& powdered milk = 400 cals

Lunch:
-trail mix
-probar
-sun rype fruit to go
-Pep stick
=1540 cals

DINNER:

alternate btw mtn house and a homemade dinner I found on the internet. 500-1300 cals

each day is approx 1.5 lbs x 8 = 12 lbs

WATER;
be taking up 2.36 liters = 5lbs 11 oz

So roughly 55lbs.(not final). I will be wearing up my hiking boots/gators/zip off pants/t-shirt(?) ball cap, and will have my hiking poles. My binos will also be on my harness. My hunting buddy has the stove/pots(im bringing spare pocket rocket) and spotting scope. May have forgotten one or two things but this is roughly it.

Rob
07-15-2013, 03:16 PM
forgot to add the Southern comfort lol

gutpile
07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Wow i didn't know sheep hunt starts that early !

BCbillies
07-15-2013, 05:12 PM
So roughly 55lbs.(not final). I will be wearing up my hiking boots/gators/zip off pants/t-shirt(?) ball cap, and will have my hiking poles. My binos will also be on my harness. My hunting buddy has the stove/pots(im bringing spare pocket rocket) and spotting scope. May have forgotten one or two things but this is roughly it.
You wouldn't want to forget salt, camera, meat bags (plastic), chapstick, gloves, etc. You'll be closer to 65 lbs.

Rob
07-15-2013, 06:22 PM
You wouldn't want to forget salt, camera, meat bags (plastic), chapstick, gloves, etc. You'll be closer to 65 lbs.

yes, did forget camera and salt. Others are in my Misc. bag but forgot to include on list. How much salt is a safe amount? I could leave at drop off point on lake maybe. Im new to the salting

358mag
07-15-2013, 06:34 PM
yes, did forget camera and salt. Others are in my Misc. bag but forgot to include on list. How much salt is a safe amount? I could leave at drop off point on lake maybe. Im new to the salting
Great list Rob thanks as for salt we take in 5lbs better to have a bit too much than not enuff salt is cheap compared to having to replace a Stones sheep cape . Take lots of pictures and best of luck on your hunt.

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Main + Hastings...??

Close.......

MadCat
07-16-2013, 06:17 AM

I always bring a 1 L pop bottle filled up with salt. That way you don't have to worry about it getting all over in your pack. I also bring in an extra one to leave at base camp (lake or truck) to re-salt it once I get back out. Good luck, hopefully you'll need salt.

SR80
07-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Water filter? Or maybe your using tablets? Good luck on your trip!

07-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I always bring a 1 L pop bottle filled up with salt. That way you don't have to worry about it getting all over in your pack. I also bring in an extra one to leave at base camp (lake or truck) to re-salt it once I get back out. Good luck, hopefully you'll need salt.

X 2 on the salt

07-16-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm leaving the end of August. I'm going with a good friend who has never taken a ram. I'm going to try and help him get a ram while I'm going to try and fill a caribou tag. I'm getting excited. We take horse so have about 80-100 pounds if stuff each, plus bringing in lots of salt for a potential caribou cape plus a full sheep cape. Horses allow for some nice luxeries.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Fair bit of water where you are heading, Rob.

I use a gatorade wide mouthed bottle for the salt. ~650 mls IIRC.

SSS

geoskier
07-16-2013, 11:12 PM
There is a pile of gear and a rubbermaid full of freeze dried food sitting in the middle of my living room. It's been there for a week and wont likely move until it hits the road north!

Went out for a quick afternoon stroll, looking for some new BT spots as well as getting the legs ready...
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a511/westcoastgeologist/5D71C43E-62AC-474C-B1B3-AFB48E1479DE-768-0000009A90AE5883_zpsa0fa020b.jpg

Bear Chaser
07-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Horses allow for some nice luxeries.

Yup.
The Bruce's and I have to get together next week to go over the booze and groceries list.
Of course we'll be packing our lawn chairs to glass from.
Bruce is even talking about packing a propane stove this year to cut down on the firewood burned while I make my traditional Scottish porridge in the mornings.

Quesnel Kid
07-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah yeah rub it in. One day I will make friends with someone who has horses, until then it's long hikes with big packs. I too have a pile of gear in my living room girl friend is getting sick of it, but it will likely be there till November.

Yup.
The Bruce's and I have to get together next week to go over the booze and groceries list.
Of course we'll be packing our lawn chairs to glass from.
Bruce is even talking about packing a propane stove this year to cut down on the firewood burned while I make my traditional Scottish porridge in the mornings.

waynorth
07-19-2013, 11:04 PM
heading in on July 28th to get a bit of a scout in before opener. Taking horses as always no other way to travel. start nailing on shoes tomorrow got pack saddles fitted today horses are figurin out its time to go to work. 9 more days cant wait