PDA

View Full Version : Estimated Provincial Ungulate Numbers

HarryToolips
07-14-2013, 02:29 PM
The survey is a couple years old but interesting. How accurate do you all think their numbers and trends are?? By the sounds of it lately, I doubt their moose survey for several regions is very accurate...If their right though, it looks like the whitetail and elk hunting in many areas will be good..

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/management-issues/docs/2011_Province%20Ungulate%20Numbers%202011_Final_Au gust%2024%20-%20Species%20Numbers.pdf

HarryToolips
07-14-2013, 05:43 PM
mpotzold-like I said, I know the survey is a couple years old..It's too bad bout the moose, we do need more bear/pred hunters..the good thing is, nature takes care of itself as long as man doesn't screw it up-when prey numbers go way down, soon the pred numbers should crash..interesting to see all the other game numbers too, since that is probably the last survey done for most of the game/regions other than moose due to lack of funding..

HarryToolips
07-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Wow and you would think that the wolves would also prey on the deer reducing their numbers like the moose, so what's goin on??

GoatGuy
07-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow and you would think that the wolves would also prey on the deer reducing their numbers like the moose, so what's goin on??

In great habitat deer and moose do well with wolves.

Having said that, where moose exist, they are typically primary prey for wolves. Other species such as deer, elk, caribou are normally secondary where moose exist.