PDA

View Full Version : what scope for an old 303

new hunter
07-13-2013, 09:24 PM
I was thinking of picking up a bushnell banner 3x9-40 to put on my old mk4 enfield . Any thoughts on more appropriate magnifications , or alternative brands in the same price range , but of slightly better quality . The rifles a backup as well as a loaner and a project , so I'm not looking to put a great scope on it , just something decent in case I have a buddy who needs a gun , or god forbid something goes wrong with my other deer rifles .

Mr. Friendly
07-13-2013, 10:02 PM
could always look at Redfield. I know that Burris has a special going on with their Fullfield II...buy one get one free.

new hunter
07-14-2013, 09:33 PM
who carries redfield in Van ? are they lighter than a bushnell ?

saskbooknut
07-15-2013, 04:54 AM
My choice, 1 to 4 Banner or 1.5 to 4.5 Bushnell Scopechief, with small objective lens. I have also used a fixed 2.5x on a Jungle Carbine with great success.
You don't need more magnification, you don't need more weight.
I have used the variable to turn down the power when too close to an Elk, but the scope lives forever set to the top magnification until that moment arrives.

Mr. Friendly
07-15-2013, 06:56 AM
you can buy Redfield from Wainstalls, that's where I bought my 4 - 7 x 36 from a couple years back.

that said, not that our EE isn't any good, but the Optics Exchange on CGN always has deals on older scopes for very good prices. you might want to check that out. :)

07-15-2013, 09:19 AM
I have a sporterized .303 mark4 and have a Bushnell banner on it. At the time, that's I could afford. I am looking at putting the Redfield on it because the Bushnell Banner is not great for low light. It's a decent scope otherwise though, but definitely will be putting on a Redfield soon.

russm
07-15-2013, 07:36 PM
New hunter, I have a scope you may be interested in, check your PMs when you get a chance.

new hunter
07-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the responses guys . I'll probably just pick up a banner for it , they seem to be about what I want for the gun .

Foxton Gundogs
07-16-2013, 11:26 AM
I have my dads old P14 Endfield he fully sported up c/w maple stock. It has killed a pile of game since he built it in the early 50s and had always been topped by a Weaver K4 I still take it out now and again just to be "close" to Dad, it still kills game just fine.

new hunter
07-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Picked up a banner in the variable I was thinking at Italian sporting goods today . I looked at a vortex in the same variable , seemed like a pretty decent scope for $200 . I kind of wish I had gone with the vortex , it was just a bit of a clearer image , finer reticle and faster return policy , but I ended up paying the difference on a nicer pair of boots than I was returning ( returned Irish setters , bought Asolos instead ) and I ate up more of my budget than I had planned . I quite like carrying the old enfield , and the bushnell feels like a good match too it . It may be an old cartridge and a beat up rifle but I love the history and tradition of it , when you hold it I can just imagine the countless miles and adventures its seen in its years .