PDA

View Full Version : Mineral lick vs Blue Salt Lick

Cyrus
07-13-2013, 07:48 PM
I set up my 12 trail cams this weekend but the feed store was out of blue salt licks which I like to use throw in front of the cams. I had to settle for the brown mineral licks. Anyone use these? Do the deer like them?

sarg
07-13-2013, 07:49 PM
i've heard they like it better, but thats just what i've heard :)

daycort
07-13-2013, 07:58 PM
The brown blocks have selenium in them. Good for growth and health.

bcsteve
07-13-2013, 08:41 PM
I heard the brown ones actually have deer and moose repellant in them so they don't eat them and leave them for the cows:wink:.

.300WSMImpact!
07-13-2013, 09:40 PM
12 cams thats impressive, they both work just fine I couldnt say one works better than the other if its an established lick they will continue to come, good luck?

Foxton Gundogs
07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Settle for brown ones LOL. In years of cowboying and riding the cattle ranges I can tell you I have noted more wildlife activity around the trace mineral blocks than cobalt blocks.

ruger#1
07-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Settle for brown ones LOL. In years of cowboying and riding the cattle ranges I can tell you I have noted more wildlife activity around the trace mineral blocks than cobalt blocks.
Thanks Jim. I just bought a cobalt yesterday. Looks like I will get a trace mineral also. I put a sifto salt bag 20kgs up in the hill two weeks ago and they eat it like it is candy. Not much left.

Foxton Gundogs
07-14-2013, 03:20 PM
cut your cobalt up and put the pcs on the licks you established with the crystals. you already got the activity they'll hang around

ruger#1
07-14-2013, 03:38 PM
cut your cobalt up and put the pcs on the licks you established with the crystals. you already got the activity they'll hang around
It is on the road in the middle of the landing. Blocks do not cost much. I will pick up a few more. Have to do some work up there, I will take them up then. If some one leaves the gate open again. Then I will know where the cows are. Not much feed for them up there. They loose a lot of wieght in a couple of days.

.300WSMImpact!
07-14-2013, 04:02 PM
the other thing I like about the trace mineral is the colour, you can see a blue block in the open from far away, a trace mineral could be walked past if someone isnt paying attention

Sitkaspruce
07-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I have heard that you take the blocks, cut them up and soak them in a bucket of water until they are disloved. Bring the bucket to your lick and dump it, the disloved block will last a long time and the animals will eat the dirt etc. I disolved some basic water softner salt in a bucket and poured it on a rotten stump two weeks ago, the stump has been torn apart and the ground has been dug up.

Cheers

SS

rocksteady
07-14-2013, 04:06 PM
I have found, in my spots, that the blue get hit hardest, next is trace, they barely touch the selenium blocks...

604redneck
07-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Deer in my area hardly touch cobalt but trace and softener salt get thrashed fast......the other cam the cobalt and softener salt are about equal. My cam died and i dont know what was in the second cam but its more mulie/elk area and the first cam is moose and white tails, seems as though each species likes something a bit different.

Foxton Gundogs
07-14-2013, 06:57 PM
I have heard that you take the blocks, cut them up and soak them in a bucket of water until they are disloved. Bring the bucket to your lick and dump it, the disloved block will last a long time and the animals will eat the dirt etc. I disolved some basic water softner salt in a bucket and poured it on a rotten stump two weeks ago, the stump has been torn apart and the ground has been dug up.

Cheers

SS

I'm thinking it may take a while to desolve them, you can leave a block out in the rain for months and it wont melt 1/2 away but I've never tried desolving them in a bucket of water.

Darksith
07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
I attempted to do a test last year putting I believe 3 different licks all in front of the same cam...but then the cows found it and I had 10,000 pictures of cows and only a couple of deer...scientific test #1 epic fail lol

moosinaround
07-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Water softener salt, and the brown blocks, that's the shit!!! Moosin

Deeboe
07-14-2013, 07:46 PM
The brown ones have worked better for me (in region 8 at higher elevations) but what works even better is road salt.....

Cyrus
07-14-2013, 09:05 PM
thanks for the replies...will have to wait and see what happens I guess. Interstingly enough where I had the salt licks sitting last year (removed in November) the deer have still been ripping the ground apart in the same spot. My cams are mostly purchased on ebay. Good deals to be had in the off season! Will post some pics in a month.

07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
You can get the blue blocks in 50 pound bags of loose cobalt salt. That way you can mix it into the dirt and other hunters can't see it. It also beats wasting time dissolving the block like someone posted on here. I use the brown and the blue. They both seem to work with good results. I just hope it will keep the elk there till september.

flyboy
07-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Grab a $6 maple or apple flavored salt block from Wallymart and throw it in your lick as desert. The animals absolutely love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calvin
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Set my cam up with a blue and brown lick, had a peak 3 days later n got 75 pics with deer coming and licking on the brown and the blue is untouched

Wrayzer
07-15-2013, 12:00 PM
I have feed, Water Softners, 2 blue Cobalts and 1 brown Mineral.

The two blues were at about 75% each and the Brown was about 25%
Interesting note, The feed left there has almost been untouched.

Ourea
07-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Note of interest.
We have laid numerous different attractants side by side at many cam locations.

Analyze the results.

Animals ignore the selenium blocks when other, more interesting options, are afforded.
Endless cam evidence shows critters licking the soil where a "preferred" attractant has leeched out in favor over blocks that they trip over to get to in the process.

If u r "competeting" for games attention.....best explore ur options.
It always can be done better.

hunter1947
07-18-2013, 04:09 AM
The blue are less money the trace solid block are about 4 dollars more there is more mineral in the brown trace blocks..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2099_-_Copy.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/1132.JPG

07-18-2013, 06:52 AM
does anyone else use the loose bags of trace? I have been using it with god results. one bull elk even sleeps on the spot the odd time.

hunter1947
07-18-2013, 08:10 AM
does anyone else use the loose bags of trace? I have been using it with god results. one bull elk even sleeps on the spot the odd time.

I did use the loose mineral trace salt but was costing me a fortune the animals licked it up to fast ,,the good thing about the loose salt is when it rained it would absorb into the ground and the elk deer would dig the ground up to lick the soil after the salt was gone..

bearheart
07-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Where do you buy this stuff??

hunter1947
07-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Where do you buy this stuff??

Any feed store will have the salt blocks ,,buckerfields is one place that will carry it..

ruger#1
07-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Any feed store will have the salt blocks ,,buckerfields is one place that will carry it..
The Superstore also carries them.

davet
07-20-2013, 04:31 PM
this may be a dumb question but can you hunt while a dear is on a lick?

.300WSMImpact!
07-20-2013, 04:39 PM
this may be a dumb question but can you hunt while a dear is on a lick?

In BC yes, other provinces have different rules

ruger#1
07-20-2013, 05:04 PM
I have a couple of bags of beet pulp pellets. I will see if the deer like it. Cattle love it.

Sitkaspruce
07-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I have a couple of bags of beet pulp pellets. I will see if the deer like it. Cattle love it.

Ruger, where did you pick those up. Deer will love those, especially this fall.

Cheers

SS

CaribooBC
07-20-2013, 11:52 PM

Cheers

SSFeed stores will have Beet Pulp, should work better if they are soaked in water first if it is dry.

hunter1947
07-21-2013, 04:55 AM
The Superstore also carries them.

Not up here in Cranbrook I asked them last year..

hunter1947
07-21-2013, 04:57 AM

What is the bag weight and have you tried them out in the bush for deer etc ??? can you take a picture of the pellets to post up ???.

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 08:47 AM

Cheers

SS I work at a feed mill. I run grinders and unload rail cars. I get corn, Wheat, Barley,Canola. I get all the beet pulp from the dairy mill. Lots of sample bags.

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 08:55 AM
The other feed mill I used to work at. Landmark Feeds. We bagged all the feed for Buckerfield and Otter-Co-op, And Pro Form Feeds, Nutrina. Wayne you should be able to get Beet Pulp Pellets or ground beet pulp at these places. It might be a special order. But you should be able to get it. My last two bags of cob cost me $4.99 each 20kgs per bag.

Steelwheels
07-21-2013, 01:21 PM
I work at a feed mill. I run grinders and unload rail cars. I get corn, Wheat, Barley,Canola. I get all the beet pulp from the dairy mill. Lots of sample bags.

Is your mill on the North or South side of the Fraser..?? At the Wack maybe..??

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
South side. Sixty year anniversary July 23. I did work for East Chilliwack Co-op in the early eighties. Sry Brings in our cars.

Steelwheels
07-21-2013, 06:06 PM
South side. Sixty year anniversary July 23. I did work for East Chilliwack Co-op in the early eighties. Sry Brings in our cars.

I spent many a day switching the Coop prior to the SRY doing it now.. It used to be a fairly decent assignment...days with weekends off.. Lots of time for wandering around town before heading back to Thornton yd.. People watching was a big thing... My old conductor used to say there was a lot of experiments that went bad in that town.. (Breeding)... LOL

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I spent many a day switching the Coop prior to the SRY doing it now.. It used to be a fairly decent assignment...days with weekends off.. Lots of time for wandering around town before heading back to Thornton yd.. People watching was a big thing... My old conductor used to say there was a lot of experiments that went bad in that town.. (Breeding)... LOL
I only worked there, So I think I might be okay.

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Did you ever switch at the old Surrey CO-OP. Then it changed to MSA Terminals. Then it was owned by Jack Bacon of American Nutrition. Then Landmark Feeds. Then Ritchie&Smith bought it and took the insides out of it, So it would never run as a feed mill again. It is now turned into office buildings.

Steelwheels
07-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Did you ever switch at the old Surrey CO-OP. Then it changed to MSA Terminals. Then it was owned by Jack Bacon of American Nutrition. Then Landmark Feeds. Then Ritchie&Smith bought it and took the insides out of it, So it would never run as a feed mill again. It is now turned into office buildings.
The names don't ring a bell.. Not sure of the location but I would venture to say it would of been the SRY...

ruger#1
07-21-2013, 06:48 PM
The Surrey CO-OP Mill was in Abbotsford.

dino
07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Ive had trail cams since they were the size of a brief case that took a bunch of d batts. I can remember paying 500$ for my first cam. I found that crushing a small amount of blue and brown then sprinkling over the dirt or grass was good for about 2 months. Aug& Sept are my only months now that I set up for. I think cam placement is the most important, if your getting to many ass shots then think about licks to get more shots. My style of cam set ups is for the style of hunting I do. I like to hunt alpine so setting up on game trails is only good until the snow flies. I only put out licks for cross shots when I want the game to stop, there's nothing worse than getting 600 shots of the same doe or buck. If you can check your cams out lots then my advise is to use licks but if you let them sit then use very little or none at all.

ruger#1
07-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Well, put a blue block out yesterday along with 2 bags of cob. Lots of barley, whole wheat, whole corn. beet pulp and pea screenings. Should be interesting to see what the deer eat first. lots of tracks. I have some bakemix. Just worried the bears will like that stuff. Lots of coyote shit with cherry pits in it. Never even seen a grouse.

hunter1947
07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
I set up my 12 trail cams this weekend but the feed store was out of blue salt licks which I like to use throw in front of the cams. I had to settle for the brown mineral licks. Anyone use these? Do the deer like them?

I use them all the time when I can afford it the brown blocks are called trace mineral salt the blew blocks are called cobalt Iodized and work good as well..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/17141.JPG

bassplayer
07-28-2013, 03:18 PM
I worked for maintenance at MSA in Abbotsford and Ritchie was my boss. His father in law owned it. Our name for Ritchie around there was ClusterF#$k. Didn't have a clue but tried to help anyways and made a bigger mess of things. Worked with a guy named Jack and Brian was the Millwright. I was the one that patched all those windows in the tower with pieces of plywood lol.

ruger#1
07-28-2013, 04:55 PM
I worked for maintenance at MSA in Abbotsford and Ritchie was my boss. His father in law owned it. Our name for Ritchie around there was ClusterF#$k. Didn't have a clue but tried to help anyways and made a bigger mess of things. Worked with a guy named Jack and Brian was the Millwright. I was the one that patched all those windows in the tower with pieces of plywood lol.Travis.Is this you or is it Greg? I worked with Brian R and that old fart Jack is still alive. I forget his last name. Now I remember Jack Faber.

bassplayer
07-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Nope. Gary. Jack Martin i believe was Jacks last name. Must be 2 jacks there unless i'm mistaken by the last name i gave. Dark hair and moustache. You would also remember that little hottie that worked in the office. I believe Natalie was her name. This was in 94 when i worked there for a short while.

ruger#1
07-28-2013, 05:27 PM
I worked there for 18 years and yes I remember the girl from the lighthouse. So many guys went though that mill. I used to run the Extruder . Mark

bassplayer
07-28-2013, 05:35 PM
I worked there for 18 years and yes I remember the girl from the lighthouse. So many guys went though that mill. I used to run the Extruder . Mark
What was the electricians name. It wasn't a regular kinda name. It was a different name altogether. Then you remember when that one worker got inside that machine and i can't quite remember but i think it was ClusterF#$k that turned it on with the guy inside lol.

rocksteady
07-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Holy crap! Discussion about salt blocks turns into a walk down memory lane, holding hands, talkin about who worked where/when!

Wow!

bassplayer
07-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Holy crap! Discussion about salt blocks turns into a walk down memory lane, holding hands, talkin about who worked where/when!

Wow!
No different than any other thread that gets sidetracked is it now lol.

ruger#1
07-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Steve o. Was the electrician and uncle cluster , Kurt's brother in law hit the button.

ruger#1
07-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Wow!
Go put out a fire some wheres.

hunter1947
07-29-2013, 05:43 AM
What I have found out is you can use any salt and they will come into it ..blue,,black,,yellow,,white brown they all will work :wink:....

chilcotin hillbilly
07-29-2013, 07:11 AM
The yellow blocks used to have a warning about feeding them to deer. It is not healthy for some reason.

Cyrus
07-29-2013, 04:41 PM
going to check them this weekend. Hope to have something good on them.

hunter1947
07-29-2013, 05:37 PM
I heard that the pink salt blocks work the best..

ruger#1
07-29-2013, 05:41 PM
I heard that the pink salt blocks work the best..
Only on the fruity deer.

hunter1947
07-30-2013, 03:55 AM
Only on the fruity deer.

Did you mean only on the female species ??:confused:??..

BuckNaked
07-30-2013, 07:52 AM

I'm glad the build was re-purposed, its a unique piece of architecture here in the valley! It was sad to see it deteriorate over the years, I was sure it was going to end up being demolished or burned down.

ruger#1
07-30-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm glad the build was re-purposed, its a unique piece of architecture here in the valley! It was sad to see it deteriorate over the years, I was sure it was going to end up being demolished or burned down.
All the iron and metal in the mill would of covered the cost of demolition and clean up. When the metal prices were high.

hunter1947
08-02-2013, 04:24 AM
The elk and deer will be getting the blue blocks on the weekend as for the cheap white chunk salt from Supper store the chunk salt a supper store coast me $489 for a 100 pound bag ,,the blue salt blocks are 3 dollars cheaper then that of the brown trace mineral salt I need 5 blocks and 3 bags of the crushed salt.....

Cyrus
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Mineral licks working well on inspection this weekend. 2 of my cameras were stolen by some pos thief, of course they took my most expensive ones. Brand new and never got to even see the pics they took...A bear also mangled another but it still works. Upgraded my security on the others but lets face it if they want they want them they can get them. I guess they are theft resistant for the lazy thief...a real piss off...Hope you enjoy your Spypoint IR-10 and your Primos Blackout you $#%$@...

ruger#1
08-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Are you sure a bear didn't knock it around and drag it away?

Sitkaspruce
08-09-2013, 01:21 PM
That sucks Cyrus!!!

Were they in metal bear cases and python locked to the tree??? If so, how did they get the cams?? Cut the cables??

Some people are just plain pricks!!!

Cheers

SS

Cyrus
08-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Are you sure a bear didn't knock it around and drag it away?

I thought that but looked everywhere. I could see one but not both without a trace of something left behind.