PDA

View Full Version : Sitka Gear review

huntingaddict
07-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, this fall i will be doing a gear review for SITKA GEAR. Right now im looking for questions you may want answered after an in the field experience with their gear system. Please feel free to ask away and i will try to answer any and all relivant questions.
cheers

Cpl_Punishment
07-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Here's one.... why so much money? or its it worth the price...

pnbrock
07-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Why is it so expensive ?

huntingaddict
07-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Well im not sure I can answer Why its so expensive, however. Is it worth the money? that is the most important question in my mind, second is how it performs. I hate spending money on gear that promises to be fantastic but falls short. ultimately it comes down to personal preference and hunting style.

hunter1993ap
07-14-2013, 12:19 PM
I find if it is slightly wet outside, I am soaked. I have the 90% gear and find it good until its slightly wet outside, and I mean slightly. so I will use different gear if its raining but its pretty good for the most part. worth the money??? I probably wont buy Sitka again but I will wear it until it wears out. I've also ripped it twice in a spring so not the strongest stuff either. good thing I can patch it myself.

Weatherby Fan
07-14-2013, 12:40 PM
My son and I have bought the Sitka Stratus gear,Jacket,bib overall and a beanie/toque so will run some tests on it this fall,I like the feel of it so far as its nice and quiet as I have always worn fleece but this stuff looks to be a bit warmer and windproof.
WF

spear
07-14-2013, 01:27 PM
I've used Sitkas stormfront series, traverse shirt and mountain pants fore afew seasons now, well worth the money imo. Bur with the price point i would take a hard look at Kuiu.

BiG Boar
07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Are they still using goretex? That was why I didn't choose it when I made my choice.

allan
07-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Are they still using goretex? That was why I didn't choose it when I made my choice.
Why not goretex??

BiG Boar
07-14-2013, 04:09 PM
I ran cabelas brand gore-tex for 3 years. It's not very breathable. There are a few fabrics out there that are more breathable.

blackbart
07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
I have one question for you to ask. "Can Blackbart be your next tester of really expensive free gear to be abused while hunting".

Please let me know what the response is.

proguide66
07-14-2013, 07:44 PM
They have marketed it perfectly . It's now the 'cool look' to have while hunting , gives 'some ' people a good feeling to 'look the role'... Sorry , but it's 'my take' on it or any other hunting 'fashion' .
I have bought all sorts of shut over the years and have had lots given to me . To date , NOTHING has taken the beating 3 months of mtn horse riding and guiding can give .
" 90%". WTF is THAT !!! I bought a WAY over priced Sitka jacket thinking it must be 'the shit' --- it ISN'T --- period . It's either water proof it not , '90%' keeps em out of court , lmao.

$50 thin rubber pants if any brand , $50 for the same in a jacket , pair of gators and some $20 fleece pants over long johns kicks the shit out if any 'trendy hunting fashion' ( for me) so far ! ( and trust me , that's after a PISS LOAD of miles and years !!!
Should I tell ya how I really feel ??? Lol ol ...
Ps, WHO the EFF started the damned 'beeny trend' ? Haha. Palm smack !! Lol

yukon john
07-14-2013, 08:27 PM
I agree with PG I have seen lots of hunters bring it up and it falls apart It might be alright for weekend warriors but try 100 day season in the stuff and you wont survive to past 50. Long and short of it is if Sitka works for you than you can probably see the pavement.

Sitkaspruce
07-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Yup

After 11 years of guiding and watching the walking Cabelas catalogues show up, I have yet to see any of the tendy stuff; Sitka, MT50, Dry-Plus and many others stand up to what is being marketed. It leaks, swearts, rips or sounds like a marching band in the bush....and some guys have offerd it to me after the hunt.... The old guys who show up in rip cord wool pants, light weight outdoor pants, some HH rain gear and a cowboy hat are the guys who know what the bush is really like......Never tried the Sitka stuff as I have seen what it can do in the bush.

Saying that, I am going to try out some Core4Element rain gear this season.....cheap like borsh on Camofire......

Just like fishing gear, 90% hunting stuff is used to catch one thing....and it not the game you are chasing......

Cheers

SS

07-14-2013, 09:06 PM
It all comes down to weight and breathability. I have used mostly mountaineering gear for hunting for my rain gear. Light, quite tough and reasonable breathable. Way nicer to hike in high quality Gortex than heavy Healy Hanson gear. For riding a horse, sure the heavy rubber stuff is fine.

I have some Sitka gear rain gear, and its ok. The jacket had been good. The left leg of the pants leaks a lot. I traded some stuff for it, but would I buy it? Probably not. I'll go back to my Mountain Hardwear pants next time.

BRvalley
07-15-2013, 12:54 PM
why is it so expensive for one? i think arc'teryx is better quality for same money

why are all of their tops (shirts, long sleves, jackets, etc) all fit so damn skinny? I guess you need a slim fit to look cool with one of those beanies?

I'm 6', 230 lbs, size 38 waist and XL fits me perfect, from basically every company out there...everything sitka I have tried on fits like compression gear (reebok, under armour, etc)....I guess most diehard mountain hunters must be far skinnier than me?