PDA

View Full Version : Give thanks or no?

NightOwl74
01-12-2007, 03:39 AM
I have a pretty unique question. I want to start by saying I am not religious in the least. But I will say that hunting is about as close to being spiritual as I get. Here is the senario. You've taken a careful shot, the hard work has payed off, and your buck is down. Your adrenaline's pumping, you see your buck in the distance.......you approach. Now do any of you give thanks to the animal personally? I am the only one I know who bends down, pats the deer on the side as i look admiringly at this beautiful creature, and says "thank you, you'll feed me for a year, thank you." Is this normal? lol or have I lost it?

Marc
01-12-2007, 03:59 AM
I don't think I say the words outloud, but I do think of the animal everytime I have a meal from it.

hunter1947
01-12-2007, 05:49 AM
Good for you ,you are normal. When i put an animal down ,i say to myself ,thank you lord for giving me this beautiful animal and letting me hunt him. hunter 1947.

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2007, 07:04 AM
You're not alone. I'm not religious at all (you know where I spend MY Sundays!) but I do give thanks for the animal. I think it's about being spiritual, not religious.

How about a takeoff on the "Fisherman's Prayer" for hunters:

God grant me the strength
To shoot a buck so big,
That even I,
When telling of it afterwards,
May never need to lie.

Mulies
01-12-2007, 07:11 AM
No matter what anyone says takeing another animals life isn't nothing. Remember screwing up big time on a mulie maybe 15 or 20 years ago. Made a couple of different crappy shots on him and had to chase him for miles. When I finally got him I sat down beside him and asked for his forgiveness.

scoot
01-12-2007, 07:30 AM
I know and old fella who has had is own tradition ever since he was a teen. When he harvests an animal, he has a flask of rum. Before getting his hands dirty, before pictures or anything, he rubs a small amount on the animals lips, and then takes a sip himself.
Different, but funny how one has so much respect for a mans tradition that has been happening for twice as long as I have been alive.

Leaseman
01-12-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't think I have ever met someone that doesn't give thanks on their successes...

Mike

J_T
01-12-2007, 07:56 AM
I like to take a moment to look at it and take the animal in. Recognize that it was a majestic animal. Show my respect, pehaps burn a little sage over it and relive the experience.

(I don't look up, when I give thanks)

JT

mrdoog
01-12-2007, 08:08 AM
No, you're not losing it.
I feel remorse, and give thanks everytime.

willyqbc
01-12-2007, 08:40 AM
yep...not religious at all but i give thanks to the animals.....and on a surperstitious note...I praise whatever weapon I was using:)

Chris

The Hermit
01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Yup. I think that it would be weird not to.

Murder
01-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Been there done that. Will continue as long as I hunt. I am extremely thankful for every animal I take, and I let it be known. I don't feel "good" when I kill something, but I feel a lot better about killing my own game, then letting the pig farmers or beef farmers do it for me. There is something about eating an animal that was caged up its whole life, and then slaughtered, that doesn't turn me on. I wish vegetables tasted as good as meat....lol But no, you are not alone, although I know a few guys who like to kill for killings sake, this I don't agree with. if you want a moving target, shoot clays. This same bunch I'm sure doesn't thank the animals they take.

Phil
01-12-2007, 10:31 AM
You're not alone in in giving thanks. I always do, it is the first thing I do when I've made a good shot and I do it again when I find my game. Then I praise my gun. As a rule I like to share some of the meat with family and freinds to show my appreciation for the gift of an animals life.

CanuckShooter
01-12-2007, 10:34 AM
A little sprinkle of tobacco....releasing the animals spirit..and an inner thanks for it offering itself...

MB_Boy
01-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Always give thanks to the animal. We always put a bough from a spruce or coniferous tree in the animals mouth. It was something that my Dad and Grandfather always did and I think it came from an old German friend of my Grandfather's.

When we shoot a moose another tradition to say thanks has been to hang the bell in a tree with a quick "thank you" said to the "moose gods".

Murder
01-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Do you all thank everything, or just big game? To me, a fish or grouse is different than a big game animal, and I sometimes forget to thank the animal.

NEEHAMA
01-12-2007, 11:03 AM
I love hunting. never liked guns and don't care for the killing. don't get me wrong when i shoot a fat deer, it's all high fives and yee haw's. i do this to hide a bit of the sadness. just before i gut it i thank god for the animal. once the hide is off it all makes sense to me. killing is nessesary. my two young boy's at home eat healthy organic meat. i leave the antibotic and steroid fed poison meat on the shelf at the market. i don't care for the way animals are treated in the slaughter process either. hunting is more humane to me.

MB_Boy
01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
To me, a fish or grouse is different than a big game animal, and I sometimes forget to thank the animal.

I have been known to kiss a few large salmon from time to time.......not to mention a couple of women that made me think of salmon when I have kissed them........and they WEREN'T keepers. :oops: :razz:

Elkhound
01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I have been known to kiss a few large salmon from time to time.......

Tongue or no tongue?:lol:

I too thank god for the hunt and the animal.

Murder
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I too thank god for the hunt and the animal.

I'm not religious. I just thank the animal for giving it's life.

mainland hunter
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
i am religious and give thanks to God when i take an animal, I always feel a level of sadness for taking the animal but I also am happy for the meat and the thrill of the hunt.

Murder
01-12-2007, 11:57 AM
It amazes me how many of you feel like this. I have always thought I was odd. I would hide from my hunting partners when I got to my animal, and say my little thanks with a hand on their chest. It is good to see that hunters are not just barbaric people who kill for sport. My old man quit hunting after he wounded a deer and it cried like a baby. I really hope this never happens to me. That is why I spend so much time at the range, and also why I'm not sure I want to bow hunt, as wounding an animal and having it lay down somewhere in pain is not something I care to experience, although I know it happens to the best of 'em. Good on yah boys. We Canadians are truly a different breed of cat compared to our American neighbours.

MB_Boy
01-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Murder...........not to generalize, but I think the bulk of hunters out there who are the "true" sportsman and love every part of the hunt from the pursuit, the camraderie, the evenings after the hunt, the preparation and 'pre' work, the post work once the animal is down and just being in the outdoors etc etc; experience a certain level of emotion when taking an animal. It is respect, thanks, any many more feelings that will come over someone once the animal is down. My least favourite part of the hunt is the actual killing of the animal.....yes it is just a shot (one if I am lucky:smile: ) and when walking up to a downed animal there may be a handshake of congratulations, and I don't know the exact word to describe the emotion but there is absolute respect and thanks given to the animal.

Chuck
01-12-2007, 12:11 PM
No! this is not abnormal or unusual behavior. In fact it is well known that people who hunt for their food and live close to the soil/ground tend to be more spiritual/religious than people who live disconnected from nature. I give thanks to God/The Great Spirit at anytime and especially when I've taken the life of another creature. This ritual can be observed all over the world and seems to be endemic among humankind. My 2 cents:lol:

mark
01-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I too feel for the animals that i respect so much! i also say a little thanks to mother nature for giving me the fine animal. (shes the god, that i see proof of, there for respect and worship her often!)
Murder, Im a fairly new bowhunter, but ive noticed that a well placed arrow kills just as fast as my .300 mag! A poor shot, is a poor shot, no matter what your shooting. As well i notice with a bow, i wait for the perfect shot and take much more care, whereas with a rifle ive been known to be less careful!

MichelD
01-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Like others have said, I too experience a moment of sadness and gratitude when I approach the downed animal, thank it for living, and thank it for providing for me.

Buckman
01-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I am religous(hate the word) but when I harvested my whitetail we stopped and thanked God for providing for providing this animal for us.

Murder
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I too feel for the animals that i respect so much! i also say a little thanks to mother nature for giving me the fine animal. (shes the god, that i see proof of, there for respect and worship her often!)
Murder, Im a fairly new bowhunter, but ive noticed that a well placed arrow kills just as fast as my .300 mag! A poor shot, is a poor shot, no matter what your shooting. As well i notice with a bow, i wait for the perfect shot and take much more care, whereas with a rifle ive been known to be less careful!

True enough. What is your average reload time to nock another arrow? I just figured if you buggered the first shot, a rifle or shotgun is reloaded quicker.

Rod
01-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I never fail to give thanks and I always feel a little lump in my throat when I get to a downed animal. The first time I shoot something and don't feel a twinge of regret will be my last day in the woods.

These are beautiful magestic creatures that give so much to all of us (just look at the membership numbers here on HBC) and we owe it to the animals to show some respect for them in life and in death.

I don't make a big show of it, I do it for the animal not for the people I might be hunting with.

It is certainly nice to see that so many others also have so much respect for their quarry.

J_T
01-12-2007, 12:35 PM
True enough. What is your average reload time to nock another arrow? I just figured if you buggered the first shot, a rifle or shotgun is reloaded quicker. With a rifle you normally have distance between you and the animal. With an arrow, the first shot is often all there is.

From the moment you pick that spot, you shift from hunter to killer, from there it is instinctive. To nock another arrow, occurs just in time to get that second shot off. Very quick. Not much longer than reloading a rifle. I shoot a recurve so perhaps it's different than a compound.

JT

mark
01-12-2007, 01:02 PM
I sent a pm, lets not jack this thread into an archery debate!

MattB
01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I do give thanks. Some natives give thanks by putting tobacco or whatever you have on the ground near where you shot the animal. Europeans take whatever brush the animal eats and put it in the animals mouth to give thanks. Different people have different ways of giving thanks. I feel that it is important to show respect and realize that you took an animals life whenever you shoot one!

Leaseman
01-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Shot my first big game at 12-13....now heading into my late(r) 40s, I find that the "feelings" are stronger, the thanks more...

Anyone else feel the difference as they get older....????

Mike

Rainwater
01-12-2007, 02:04 PM
We thank the animal by cutting out it's pancreas and use that as an offering by putting it in a branch, we call it the small liver, I know it isn't. By far the best offering for an animal is to waste none of it.

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I do give thanks. Some natives give thanks by putting tobacco or whatever you have on the ground near where you shot the animal. Europeans take whatever brush the animal eats and put it in the animals mouth to give thanks. Different people have different ways of giving thanks. I feel that it is important to show respect and realize that you took an animals life whenever you shoot one!

What do you do in Dana's camp? All hold hands in a circle around Dana and sing "Kumbayuh" when fur hits the ground?:lol:

MattB
01-12-2007, 02:22 PM
LOL, nope. It hasnt really happened that another person has been right there when we've shot a deer, except for MassNTrash. Im sure each of us has our own way of showing respect for the animal! Ive hunted with guys that shoot a deer and walk up to it and say "haha we got you you f*&(er" That just makes me mad, and i dont hunt with these people much anymore. Its important to show respect no matter what! I think any true hunter that knows what its all about knows what i'm talking about :) .

When i shot my buck this year I had one of my native friends with me. He told me to give an offering, so i asked what kind of offering. He just said to use anything you have and set it on the ground beside the deer. So i used part of a candy bar and left that on the ground where the animal lay. I believe that by doing that you show respect and it will give you good karma on future hunts!

bsa30-06
01-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I never fail to give thanks and I always feel a little lump in my throat when I get to a downed animal. The first time I shoot something and don't feel a twinge of regret will be my last day in the woods.

These are beautiful magestic creatures that give so much to all of us (just look at the membership numbers here on HBC) and we owe it to the animals to show some respect for them in life and in death.

I don't make a big show of it, I do it for the animal not for the people I might be hunting with.

It is certainly nice to see that so many others also have so much respect for their quarry.

I think this says it all, well said Rod.What doesn't surprise me is the number of times i read the word RESPECT well reading thru these posts.The day i loose that respect is the day i quit hunting.

Bushman
01-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Rod

I think this says it all, well said Rod.What doesn't surprise me is the number of times i read the word RESPECT well reading thru these posts.The day i loose that respect is the day i quit hunting.

Couldn't agree with you more BSA.30-06.

Very well said indeed, Rod.

Hunting is all about RESPECT for your quarry, the mountains and life.

And yes, Leaseman...happily those feelings do seem to get stronger with age.

Bushman

browningboy
01-12-2007, 08:11 PM
I know that I'm pumping with adrenilan then I feel a little bad and pay a quick little respect, but other than that I don't know if I feel anything to be honest, every time I have it for dinner, it just brings back good memories of the hunt.8)

BCLongshot
01-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Good thread !

We're pretty pumped when we lay 1 down.

We do however give a good thanks in prayer over dinner & drinks that night. Thanking the good Lord and do we feel like MEN !!!

oldtimer
01-12-2007, 08:33 PM
I think I might have taught the young fella that. Not religous but thank the animal for what he is providing me. Actually learned that from a first nations person a LOOOOOOOng time ago. MIke

LeverActionJunkie
01-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Good to see others with similar sentiments towards the animals we harvest. As others have said I always sort of hid myself from others and took a moment to give thanks to the animal. I feel compelled to use every part of the animal that I can, and can't let any of the meat go to waste. It's already been said better by others here, but it's good to see how others feel.

NightOwl74
01-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Well nice to see I am not alone. I like the idea of leaving a bell with a note in a tree. I'm gonna try that next year.........if I get my deer alone that is! Enjoy your game guys and gals. On the menu today will be Alberta Whitetail fajitas!8)

Bow Walker
01-13-2007, 09:36 AM
In a word? Yes. Mostly silent reflection and thanks/gratitude, but sometimes oral thank-you(s). Always with humility.

tuchodi
01-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Its good to see so many have the same feelings as I do. Values in life really make a differance. I loved the artical that GoatGuy posted about Hunting, Guns and Kids, it shows that we as outdoor people do have a beter life. I will give thanks again tonight as I bite into the Elk Tender Loin.

dana
01-13-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty damn religious even though I'm sure many would call me a heathen. I always give thanks to God when I get an animal on the ground.

sawmill
01-13-2007, 03:07 PM
A little sprinkle of tobacco....releasing the animals spirit..and an inner thanks for it offering itself...

I do that and I put a bit of grass in it`s mouth and I sit and look at him for a bit and remember past hunts and have a smoke and think of all the great friends I have hunted with before and realize ,I am blessed.And I am NOT a God botherer,my god is not in a church,he`s out where all the cool stuff he made is.I see His tracks every time I go out in the bush.

Mattimoose
01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
I show Remorse to the animal, but don't pray really.

StoneChaser
01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I feel a deep respect for an animal I've taken, but don't say anything out loud or leave any offering. Simply a little silence as I handle the antlers/horns and admire its beauty, reflecting on the hunt and the moment.

Then it's back to realiy as I realize the work ahead of me, and formulate a plan to get him out of the bush and into my freezer.

While all of my critters have meant much to me, no single animal has meant more to me than my first Stone's ram. I was speechless for some time, as I sat beside him and just held his horns.

The mountains are a very spiritual place to me... and sharing them in the company of that old mountain monarch was a feeling that I just can't put into words. My buddy videoed that moment, as I just sat there speechless for minutes... like a bumbling fool (grin). The whole expereince was very surreal, and I'll remember it forever.

StoneChaser

johnes50
01-15-2007, 07:39 PM
If I'm lucky enough to shoot an animal I'm immediately very happy that I had a successfull hunt. But when I'm standing over the animal I always try to take a moment and treat this gift of nature with respect and dignity.

I think about the fact that I knowingly took it's life. And in my own way say thanks to, (for a better word), Nature. Not in a prayer or a ritual, but just by thinking about it.

Then I carry on. John

bigwhiteys
01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
I feel that it is important to show respect and realize that you took an animals life whenever you shoot one!

No matter what your individual rituals might be I think this is what is really important. It's humbling when you really think about it.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

NightOwl74
01-19-2007, 06:05 PM
8-) Hey Big whiteys I lived in Sidney on Patricia Bay for a year.........a truly beautiful little town! I'll always remember fishing from shore at elk lake with Berkley Powerbait lol. You know what I'm talkin 'bout!8-)

one-shot-wonder
01-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I always give thanks to God for His beautiful Creation that I enjoy so much and get so much joy from. When I have downed an animal and the feelings of remorse and the rush of excitement hit, I never cease to thank God for the animal. I personally feel it is important to give thanks. I even give thanks for situations of less fortune like when a smart old buck out wits me.

I think this sums it up well.......

God made the wild animals according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” Genesis 1:25-26