PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan sheep transplant!

mark
01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I had the privelage, to hook up with Calvin l and Boxhitch (and about 60 others) for the last 2 days to assist in the capture and transplant of 26 bighorn sheep from the keremeous area to the okanagan mtn. park. It was a very cool experience for sure, we froze our nuts off today but had alot of fun! :lol:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/our_sheep_22.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4111&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1630.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4112&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

srupp
01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
well done Markk i did that once many moons ago, nice to give back again to our resource.Did you get the tracking device implanted on the big ram???lol

nice photo.

Steven

Phil
01-11-2007, 09:46 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun for a worth while venture. Good job in donating your time. How do you round up all the sheep like that?

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Right on gents!! I was pretty miffed I couldn't go but with the temps and wind this morning I liked my 20 deg C working conditions:lol:.
It must be a cool feeling to be a part of the legacy that those sheep will hopefully start8) .

Let's wish them well!!!

SSS

mark
01-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Srupp, believe me everyone joked about that! We never cought a big ram (a couple bannanas) They will get a large breeding ram into the herd asap though!
Phil, they bait them in a farmers yard under a large net for sometime, then when everyone was in position, they drop the net and we rush em! Quite the rush i tell ya! It was a huge team effort and alot of set-up and pre ground work from alot of people! It went fairly smoothly and was considered to be quite a success!

Chuck
01-11-2007, 10:06 PM
That's just great Mark! How do you get involved with such a worthy and hopefully beneficial endeavor? Gotta know the right people I suppose. I went to my Credit Union two days ago, but they wouldn't let me move any of the money. Oh well, some guys are lucky and some are not...shucks!

Gateholio
01-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Looks great, I;ve spoken ot a few older members of our club who have participated in these in the past, sounds liek a great adventure! I'd have loved ot been there except it's a littl efar form home and I work weekends!:lol:

mainland hunter
01-11-2007, 10:28 PM
good on you, sounds like a cool experience

bcfarmer
01-12-2007, 08:04 AM
I was also involved and must echo what Markk stated, a controlled adrenalin rush. Also a lot of quality team work, especially considering its the first time most of us have worked together. Many more injuries to handlers than to the sheep(just minor net abrasions).
Hey Markk...the net is reset, are they going for a third round??

GoatGuy
01-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Congrats you guys, sounds like you had a good time.

Kevin21
01-12-2007, 09:26 AM
sound like fun, well done guys!

brno375
01-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Are the trailers disinfected or are the sheep given innoculations to prevent disease? Are any radio collars fitted or measurements/blood taken? Sounds like a great time. Hopefully I can make the next one.

mark
01-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I got involved, by having some beers with the other guys i mentioned, and just expressed my interest to help out.
The trap is reset and they do want to catch more.
Dont know about the trailer, but they got all their shots, bloodwork, collars eartags ect.

Murder
01-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Didn't they relocate some elk like that here on the Island?

Rainwater
01-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I was there also and was involved in the first transplant. The first transplant that happened here there happened to be a moritorium on moving wildlife in the Province so those went to Nevada. Very happy to see the gov't willing to move wildlife around our own province. I heard that they will be net gunning two or three rams from the Kamloops area and dropping them off in the Park to help with the gene pool. I recognize you guys from the drop, I spoke to you about that huge Moose Rack. Thanks for helping out guys.

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2007, 03:13 PM
I got involved, by having some beers with the other guys i mentioned, and just expressed my interest to help out.

After a few beers, mark thinks he's a cowboy, so he was quick to join the roundup! :lol:

boxhitch
01-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Phase 3 went off today, without a hitch, thanks to some creative thinking.
Stay tuned, as the net is still in the air, over fresh feed !

http://www.chbc.com/modules.php?name=News

http://web.bcnewsgroup.com/portals-code/list.cgi?cat=23&paper=113&id=810289

Thanks again, to all who helped out.

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Any good rams caught yet Bill?

calvin L
01-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes we had a great time . It is nice to give back a little for the great times I have had hunting . Yes the trap is set . We will keep every one posted as to & if it will drop again . I think it will be cool to be able to keep an eye on #22 & #49 over the year to see how they are doing . It will be like my kids (seeing I don't have any !) I will also be able to protect them
ie yotes look out .

boxhitch
01-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Any good rams caught yet Bill?
All the rams are good !! Just not the best for breeding, yet.

boxhitch
01-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I will also be able to protect them
ie yotes look out .
May need special 'contract' to operate past April 15 :twisted:

Elk-Aholic
01-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Yes we had a great time . It is nice to give back a little for the great times I have had hunting . Yes the trap is set . We will keep every one posted as to & if it will drop again . I think it will be cool to be able to keep an eye on #22 & #49 over the year to see how they are doing . It will be like my kids (seeing I don't have any !) I will also be able to protect them
ie yotes look out .

I'll have to add in #12 too. I heard about the Harpor herd and trying to get a few rams from there too. It's all talk right now and probably that's all it's going to be....too bad. I know they are looking at trying to nab a certain ram that eluded us during the capture so there can at least be a mature ram to breed the ladies. You guys who were there know which one I'm talking about. Sounds like they are waiting for this ram to continually visit the bait site and then nab him. If I here of anymore news I will keep you posted. Good meeting all you rednecks from HBC and can't wait to get together some time soon.

NightOwl74
01-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Nice to see sheep introduced to this area and hope they really take off. That must have been really fun to participate in.

srupp
01-13-2007, 11:55 AM
When we did this up here we used apples...some were fermented??? sheep LOVED em...:lol: ...they crowded under the net..

Markk for several weeks our portable radios were "beeping" whenever we drove past the fish & wildlife eventually we found a magnet had dropped off one of the sheep tracking collars , thus activating it AND the frequency was EXACTLY that of our BC Ambulance radio frequency
Also the GIANT book ram WITH the collar was on the exact same frequency..and our radios would work as a primitive location device...hmmmm

good on you again Markk to once again step up to the plate and help wildlife....
Steven