PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the bush stories.

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-11-2007, 07:58 PM
When I was a young teenager my dad took my sister and I bear hunting for the day up Gold creek near Cranbrook,we drove probably 70 k up a forestry road and my old man decides to cross a large creek where a bridge was washed out.He makes it about a third of the way across then the trucks hits a pool of deep water and gets stuck ,the water starts coming into the cab and the engine dies .My dad reacts quickly and pushes us on the roof of the truck and we all jump in the box,he then carries each of us across the creek to shore.So on shore he tells us we are all going to walk down the main forestry road and hopefully someone will pick us up .We ended up walking almost all night with not one vehicle passing us,in the early morning we made it to an old haybarn and slept there until daylight when my dad found someone on the main road.I remeber this story because my feet still hurt from the walk.So how bad have you been stuck and what was your longest hike out of the bush?8-)

dana
01-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I heard of one story where a guy was stuck in Stanley Park for almost a week until he remembered he had a cell phone. ;) Or what about those 2 doctors that got stuck in the snow with their truck and had to live on tooth paste for a day. :) :)

BCLongshot
01-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Ya when you have the kids you have 2 be real careful. They'll tell others.

Good on your old man for being a stud and reacting fast !!!

dana
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Been stuck a lot over the years. My longest walk out was 25 kms. That was a fun day. ;)

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I heard a story of a guy from Clearwater who got stuck in a bank in Kamloops for four hours , because he couldnt figure out how to use his interac card. :lol:

dana
01-11-2007, 08:32 PM
interac????

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-11-2007, 08:37 PM
''t'' sticky t on the keyboard. :lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-11-2007, 08:39 PM
What do you call a Clearwater guy with a three piece suit?
The defendant.:lol:

Will
01-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Stuck in the bush stories
By the title I was hoping for something more interes.................
Nevermind :lol:

oldtimer
01-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Got stuck up Harris Creek east of Lumby when I was supposed to be home for my birthday supper. Me and a buddy walked maybe 20 miles after my full size jimmy got stuck up to the frame and my cable wasn't long enough to get to a tree. Walked out and had a great supper with friends and went in the next day with a longer cable and snatch blocks and come-alongs and got her out and hunted on the way back to town. Took maybe 4 hours to clean her up and a long time to convince the wife it won't happen again. Mike

overthetop
01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Buddy and I got stuck on a log over the road in the snow at the postill pits. Had to walk to the bottom where my truck was. Big deal...5 k's. I ran the whole way. Got stuck yesterday in merrit on the Quad. Had to really fight to get my truck up the road high enough to winch it out.

30-06
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
me and my buddy robert got my quad stuck like 8 km into the bush,being the smart guy he is he backed my quad into a mud hole,,which was like thick goopy mud..tryed and tryed getting it out..eventually walked like 500 yards down the road maybe and a guy in a suzuki samurai came along and pulled us out..then the shicky mud still on the tire he left us on a little hill and all it did was spin out so we just backed down took a run at the little hill and it flung all the mud off and mader to the top..

Chuck
01-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I've been very lucky with only minor hang-ups or dig-outs, but I worked with a guy who got stuck bad and they had to walk out. Few days later it snowed so bad they couldn't get back in to retrieve his truck. It stayed there till the following spring sometime, I think it was in May. We all ribbed him about it - poor bugger! I have a suzuki samurai and it just goes anywhere!

scoot
01-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Up gang ranch way this past season. T-shirt's first day, tropical rainfall the next, 14" of snow day 3 then -25. Fried the glowplug/injector electrical on the truck, diesel jelled up and bateries died. took two full days of driving to get generators and other gear before i got her out.

NightOwl74
01-12-2007, 03:47 AM
Got stuck at the top of Philpott(for all you K-town residents) and had to walk all the way down under moonlight and wake up an old lady at the bottom of the hill to use the phone.

Marc
01-12-2007, 04:20 AM
I got socked in this November and had to spend an extra day in the woods because all roads out were either flooded or blocked by trees and mudslides. I still had lots of food and shelter as I had the camper on the back of the truck but it's an uneasy feeling not being able to get home.

hunter1947
01-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Bighunterfish it sounds like you were in the place i hunt elk ,was the river called the yauk river you got stuck in ????. hunter 1947.

01-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Got stuck up Harris Creek east of Lumby when I was supposed to be home for my birthday supper

Must be the air up there or something that makes people do things that they normally wouldn't :). Have walked the same road for pausing to think twice about my actions when l in the middle of a small lake sized puddle......soaked to the knees and blistered feet something terrible by the time l walked out. Last year it was a 17 km walk out of Bonneau (again east of Lumby) when we weren't paying attention to a freshly made logging road that looked great on the surface but was soft mud about 2 inches down.......sunk the tracker flush with the bumpers that time.

Leaseman
01-12-2007, 08:15 AM
It was probably about 25 years ago...we were south of Nazko on some old "trails" that were fairly frozen....hunting with a newbie buddy in my Toyota (back when I was small enough to fit in one!!), we were skirting this bog when guess what!!....thats right, right up to the frame!!!...no problem, jackall and 2 shovels in the back....wrong!!!!...buddy had tacken out the jackall at camp (without telling me!) because he thought we didn't need it!!...well at least we have the two shovels, an axe etc so we can get something done....tell my buddy to CAREFULLY dig around tires while I go cut some poles....come back 15 minutes later to find him sitting on the tailgate with 2 broken shovels!!!!!!!!!!........talk about ticked off...sooooo I tell him since it is going on 4:00ish, time to start walking...

To make a long story short, the other 2 vehicles in our group wouldn't be able to make it to us, so we walked approx 20 kms....built a big fire...first big cold snap that night....dropped to -25 that night....sat and waited till day light to reach where we could get picked up....cold night....

One good thing was a tracked surveyors vehicle was heading into the area the next day!!!!!...cost me a jug for him to haul me out.....!!!!

Day after I got back to the LML, guess what.......???........thats right, had a winch installed and had it swapped to every truck I had afterwards up to a couple of years ago....

Mike, whose feet still geyt soar thinking about that walk......

Walksalot
01-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Been stuck a few times in the truck but so far have never had to spend a night in the bush in an uncontrolled situation. I have blindly followed my compass many times. It's an awefull feeling when you think you are heading in a direction and upon checking the compass you are going the exact opposite direction.
I have spent alot of time looking for people stuck in the bush while with Search and Rescure. The lucky ones we found in fairly good shape but a couple we brought out in body bags. It never ceases to amaze me how unprepared some people are for dealing with a survival situation.

model88
01-12-2007, 08:55 AM
One winter the fishing in Lost Lake by Elkford was incredible. So we headed up for one last try, the only problem is that it had snowed about a foot and a half since we had been in a couple days before. Road was plowed for a bit, then the cat hunters had busted trail for a bit. Eventually even the cat hunters had turned around. I just dropped the old Ford into 4low third gear, had one last long hill to make, right at the top spun out, truck slid towards the ditch. No chains, not enough cable for come-along. Elkford wasn't too far away, so off we went down through the clearcut, across the Elk River, through a swamp. Wasn't very long but took along time to get to the highway. Went and bought tire chains next day.

Frango
01-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Years ago I had a big IHC 4x4 with a 10000 lb pto on the front.Going up a cut line one day and the truck sinks.No problem get the pto to pull us out.we wrapped the cable around a couple of trees and started to pull.We pulled them over and the next two and the next two..So what the ??? .We started to dig out when I hit a big log under the front.It was stuck in the hard ground and the other end up against the diff.Pulled the log out.The winch pulled us out like nothing.I'm just lucky I did not snap my front end.The thing about 4x4's and winchs is they tend to get you into more trouble sometimes.

The 'Hummer'
01-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Years ago up at Atlin Lake I took a late evening walk up a 'promising' Moose path. Found a meadow, walked partly around, then couldn't find the path so I spent the night on the mountain and walked into the town of Atlin the next morning.

mark
01-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Ive been stuck lots in my life, always managed to get her out somehow, never had to walk! i usually keep working at it til i get her out or another truck comes along. Ive got a huge winch for the big truck, a cum-along for the tracker. I think the valuable lesson in this thread is to BE PREPARED. When we venture into the bush alone we should always be preped to spend a night in the bush, when you approach a mud hole or stream, get out and have a good look at it first, ask your self, is it worth it? Do i have the tools to get out of here if i dont make it? many times if i stop and think for a minute i relize that its not worth abusing my 4x4 and find somewhere else to hunt.

Shop Lord
01-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Came close a couple of times but have always gotten out. Four years ago I drove up the mountain early in the spring looking for bears. Theres a huge gully around the 18 km. mark that sometimes floods or slides. I thought I heard something so I stopped. The noise I heard was trees snapping as a avalance came down the mountian. By the time it finished the road was over 50 feet deep in slide material. If I'd been 30 seconds earlier my truck would have been stuck up there for months and I'd be walking out in the dark.

Elkhound
01-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I once had my starter blown off my truck from a bullet that went through the floorboards. Had to get a lift from other hunters in our party to drive us a few hrs to Williams lake wher the guy bought me a new starter. Have never hunted with him since.:mad:

MichelD
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Lived up the coast some years ago.

I got up at daybreak, drove the truck to the middle of the island we lived on at the time, parked at the edge of a cut and walked in and hunted the edge for a few hours with no success. Tried turning the truck around and drove a bit too far into the ditch and couldn't get the two wheel drive Ford out.

I had to hike out to the main logging road, hitch a ride to a friend's house, get him to come and pull me out, and then drove home to our little stump ranch.

When I got there my wife was dressing out a deer she'd shot after spotting it while staking the goats out in the salal.

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2007, 12:44 PM
My starter died just at last light after a day of fishin, probably from crossing a creek on the old Skunk Lake road, all the way in at the lake. The road was impossible to get a tow truck into as it was tight and full of really deep mud holes, and covered in Douglas Lake loon shit. So I hiked out and was lucky enough to get picked up within a few km by the last vehicle leaving the area. I hiked in (wasn't taking Dad's truck through the big mud holes...my old truck is lifted with 35" BFG M/Ts) the next morning with a bag of tools and a starter, laid in the mud, and swapped it out. Started her up and drove her out.

Phil
01-12-2007, 12:51 PM
In 2002 I took my family on a camping/fishing trip to Birkenhead lake. We fished there for a day and decided to try Blackwater lake for something different. I knew roughly where it was according to my map so we headed off early in the afternoon. I made a few wrong turns here and there looking up logging roads to find it but was unsuccessful. Eventually I turned up a road that was marked as Blackwater service road and thought for sure I was on the right track. I drove up this road in my old 78 ford camperized van thinking things looked a bit untouched for a long time. I had to get out a few times to remove trees from the road and the road was made up a fresh layer muddy grease without any tracks in it. I started to feel pretty leary of the situation so I started looking for a good place to turn around. None came so I thought "what the hell", I'll go around this next switch back and if there is no lake I'll turn around in the middle of the road if I have to. I didn't make it around the switch back. The van slipped into a mud hole on the inside of the corner with nose pointed up like a rocket ship. Of course I always go prepared with a shovel and a come along and chains but not this time. I left them at the camp site in my trailer. I dug with my bare hands and anything else I could find for an hour and decided it was hopless. I decided to leave the wife and kids there while I walked back to the camp. Just as I got up to leave I heard a vehicle comming up the road behind me. This guy jumps out and the first thing he said without even saying hello is "I'll get you out of there". He drove me back to my camp site where we loaded all the equipment in for pulling me out. Along the way we passed three bears on the road. He pulled me out with ease. I was covered in mud from head to toe, it is a miracle he was even willing to give me a ride. As it turns out he was looking for the same lake and had followed my tracks up. I eventually found Blackwater Lake, it was about 100 meters off the main road. Someone had burned the forestry sign to the lake.

MB_Boy
01-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I once had my starter blown off my truck from a bullet that went through the floorboards. Had to get a lift from other hunters in our party to drive us a few hrs to Williams lake wher the guy bought me a new starter. Have never hunted with him since.:mad:

Great story to recruit bowhunters!!!!:lol:

Gateholio
01-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I recall being stuck ina flooding creek in November in buddys Toyota..Took us hours in that freezing creek to get out, we were young and dumb at the time.

To prove that I have only gotten older and no more intelligent, a few years ago, I was putting down a road near the top of a mountain near my house, intending to check out an area for spring bears.

I must have been doing all of 9-10kph when a little fuzzy cub popped out on the side of the road as i was passing. I turned my head sideways, watching, as the momma popped out and then another cub, and really wasn't paying attention to where I was going...

Where I was going was right off the side of the road!! At the last moment I felt something wrong, and tried to correct, but the bank was too soft and I slid rigth down!:lol:

Not wanting to leave my 375 H&H, binos, spotitng scoe etc there, I stuffed everythign in a pack, hiked the 10km back down the road, the 3 km along the highway to my house, and got home pretty late for a well deserved beer.

Called the tow truck driver and we went and picked it up, no damage except to my pride and wallet...8-)

4pointhunter
01-12-2007, 01:26 PM
i have been stuck in the bush quite a few times, the worst one was up in port mcniell, we drove up a very steep spur in the snow, untill we came to a few logs accross the road, when i tryed to turn around i got stuck in the ditch so we grabbed the guns and we started walking down the mountain, my partner had my old cooey 22 the kind you have to manually pull the pin back on, i didn't know it but he had the gun loaded with the pin not pulled back, we was carrying it with the butt in his hand over his shoulder, as we walked through a cross ditch he slipped and dropped the gun straight down in front of himself, when the butt hit the ground the gun went off, and shot through his hand and into his chest. we are still 5 km up the spur and about 24 out of town on the mainline, but he seems to be ok so we kept going, we walked all the way down the spur and a couple kms down the mainline untill we seen another vehicle a couple guys heading out fishing , they turned around and gave us a ride to the hospital, the bullet was stuck in his rib, they left it there for a couple years untill they cut it out. probably my unlucky and luckyest day hunting ever.

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2007, 02:08 PM

I never knew you hunted with Bartell! :eek: :rolleyes:

Will
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
My Buddy's Old Man never gets stuck in his Truck.......
He calls it "Momentarily delayed" :roll:

hunter1947
01-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I guess i am one of the lucky ones ,never have been stuck out in the bush in a truck ,car ,quad or motorcycle or in the field hunting :smile: hunter 1947.

browningboy
01-12-2007, 08:02 PM
About 8 years ago my buddy was playing at a sandbar at the logging gate on the nahatlatch and it was just starting nightfall, well he ends up getting stuck, very stuck, winch went on the fritz and by now it was 10 at night, now what we were at km 44 and our camp was at km 28, well we had a 15 pack of beer, and started walking back, lucky thing there was a full moon as we had no flashlight, it was harder than I thought it would be to walk and drink beer, but we got to km 33 and a toyota 2wd came out of nowhere, gave us a ride back (remaining 5 k or so) and it was a liitle nerving when he said just a click before us he came on a blacky trucking up the road! And as for the beer, we did finish them before we got picked up, I guess thats why the walk was fun!
Sure couldn't do that now!:eek:

30-06
01-12-2007, 09:01 PM
i just remember when you said sand bar.me and my bro and buddy took my quad on the river..remembering it is a little 225 yamaha beartracker.my bud was riding that,i was on his dirtbike and my bro is on his dirtbike.my friend was riding through the river again and again over and over..well it started getting deeper..well all of a sudden he just sinks..my quad was sunk up to the handlebars in water.all we could see was the bubbles from the exhaust and the bars..luckely it didnt die or it owuld have gottem water in the engine..but it took the three of use to pull and push it back and forth rocking it to get it out....good thing is still runs like knew..well did.its been in th eshop for 8 months now..the part was usppose to come oct 4th..so were gunan pick it up and take it to penticton honda..and then it will run like new again:)

The Hermit
01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Some pretty funny stories guys! Thanks

I lived up in Fort Smith NWT for a year a long time ago. A woman I worked with and I went on about a ten km hike through Wood Buffalo Park to check out some sink holes, caves, and hopefully to see some buffalo.

One the way in we trailed a small herd of buffalo down the single-track beeping and honking trying to get them to move off the road so we could pass! Finally got past them and parked her car at the spot and carried on to the trail head in my car, and enjoyed the hike back to her car.

I guess the buffalo took exception to that little susuki samuri of hers cause they absolutoely trashed it!! Bent the wheels, flttened tires, the spare was embedded in the tail gate, fenders beat like a drum! Couldn't use it to drive back to my car and had to walk back for the last hour in the dark. I was really worried about my car the whole way and was glad they left it alone!

browningboy
01-13-2007, 10:04 PM
This story we weren't stuck, but three years ago we were returning from McKenzie and stopped in at the rest about 30 kms north of Quesnel, (if anyone hasn't been there theres a large hairpin and a steep hill down to the parking lot) and we parked to get some zzz's and we were just about asleep and we kept hearing screeching of tires and they were coming closer and then we seen the headlights and holy crap, he missed the corner and the brand new white dodge deisel comes rolling down the hill towards us (2 complete rolls) and stops on its tires, the guy gets out and pissed drunk, stumbles around abit and went back inside to sleep! Now the whole parking lot is buzzing with action, trying for cellular service, so we left, what the heck, can't even rest at a rest area!:evil:

The 'Hummer'
01-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Years ago up at Atlin Lake I took a late evening walk up a 'promising' Moose path. Found a meadow, walked partly around, then couldn't find the path so I spent the night on the mountain and walked into the town of Atlin the next morning.

Obviously I misread the thread. My post was to do with getting 'turned around' in the bush, nothing to do with being stuck in a vehicle. Opps...

Byson
01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
oh i got a story my hunting partner and I were hunting down the lillooet lake road near pamberton we went up chief paul and glacier lake road i was 21 and my partner was 18. I seen my Dad in the morning at the petro can in pemberton. I even told him where we were going. we got stuck in a cross ditch up glacier lake we tried getting un stuck no winch or any other tools i had a tent and i blanket i was going to sleep in the truck but the bad angle my truck was the battery went dead so we stayed in the tent it was in november we werent well equiped but i did light one of canfor waste piles on fire the fire was so big you couldn't sit near it we started walking out in the morning we came across a hunter and his wife the took us back to the truck we pulled it out and took all day to get it started when i was driving out a rcmp hellicopter landing in front of us on the road we had search and rescue and close to 60 people looking for us we made every news paper and radio station and the tv news my partner told every one that we ate squirrels for dinner i was hungry and i blasted a couple and ate them my cousin told me the were good so i thought i would try but i wasn't going to tell anyone people bugged us for years

Bigbuckadams
01-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Was up by Grizzly Swamp/Specs ( Aberdeen Plateau ) Lake during the late bow season about 10 years ago. I was driving out and broke through some thick ice I has crossed earlier. Not only did the ice break, so did my front driveshaft :cry: . Tried for about 2-3 hours to get it out, no go. I decided to hike out and hope someone would pick me up soon. 35 km later @ about 1:00a.m. I got a ride home from a logger coming down the hill.:lol:

dino
01-19-2007, 10:00 PM
to who it may concern .I drive a sazuki sam diffs are locked and i carry lots of get me out gear. i have a winch on the front and on the rear plus i carry a chainsaw winch good for eight thousand pounds and an extra 500 feet of cable .the only problem i have is that i cant get out of second gear. i need more power

browningboy
01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
to who it may concern .I drive a sazuki sam diffs are locked and i carry lots of get me out gear. i have a winch on the front and on the rear plus i carry a chainsaw winch good for eight thousand pounds and an extra 500 feet of cable .the only problem i have is that i cant get out of second gear. i need more power

Sounds like you weigh 8000lbs as well:lol: