PDA

View Full Version : Costal Grizz draw 5-08A what kind of boat to take

riflebuilder
07-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Me and the Bro drew a Coastal Grzz in 5-08A very stoked. Anyway using this for an excuse to buy a new boat, here are the options: 30' cabin cruiser (the floating camper) with a small runabout to head up into the rivers and get to shore. 2 a 27' Boston Whaler. 3 18-20 jetboat. I have a place to stay at a friends fishing lodge but if we want to go up burke channel it is to far of a run to comeback every night. thanks for the opinions.

srupp
07-12-2013, 12:24 PM
hmmm may I be so bold as to get you to call me both in regards to the boat AND THE BEARS..lol great draw..send me a # and I will call you however first suggestion if by cabin cruiser you mean houseboat type??27' is nice start and Bostan whaler is good rep. looking forward to chatting....... steven

Sitkaspruce
07-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Cabin Cruiser with small boat. You can access all the estuaries in the area and not have to run back in the dark. The weather will and can be nasty, you do not want to get caught in Burke with the wind and trying to run to the beach or back to camp in the dark. Stay close and spend as much time as you can hunting, not running in the boat. The cabin Cruiser will offer you a camp, a place to sleep and eat and get dried out. Not much fun running in a boat after a day of hunting in the rain and yous till have 30-60 min run.....

Biggest thing you might have a problem with is trailering the boat down "The Hill", if it is not already out there.

Take Steve up on his offer, he knows the area well. You can PM me as well if you need some info, worked in that area up to last year. Great area to hunt and some good blacktails are there as well.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

riflebuilder
07-12-2013, 01:32 PM
My Buds place is in Rivers Inlet and we were thinking of running the boat in there this summer from Port Hardy so not having to go into Bella Coola. Done the hill a few times. The BW has a small cabin with a 2 person berth but it is not great in choppy water at speed great stable platform at low speed. hove far up the estuaries can a guy get with a small punt or inflatable with a small outboard? would an outboard jet be best? thanks for the advise.

elkaholic3
07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
I'd call steve......

Gateholio
07-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I'd be all over the cabin cruiser and the small boat. Got a nice safe and dry place to sleep out of the rain, and able to explore the smaller waters in the little boat. :)

riflebuilder
07-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Tal ked to Steve great guy. Now more stoked than ever......

longstonec
07-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Its a bit of a run from Rivers to Burke. Sitting on my dock in Rivers Inlet as I type as a matter of fact... The rivers I have the most time on are just outside the boundary's of your draw. But... you can get a long way up most systems around here in a canoe or little inflatable if you dont mind walking it up the riffles. the two fisheries creek walkers here use canoes to go up river.
Getting around the estuarys is pretty easy. a jet is nice... but bombing around with an 8hp on a soft bottom inflatable is my choice. if you take your time you wont hit much. if you get stranded by the tide its a light package to move around etc. way better fuel economy and jets are LOUD!

riflebuilder
07-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Looks like we are going with a Cabin cruiser and a 10' inflatable 9.9 hp kicker. Our uncle has volunteered his 50' as a base camp as long as we pay the fuel food and beer. Good thing I don't drink or this trip would be way to expensive.