PDA

View Full Version : shooting clays in georgia straight

Aheny
07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know the rules regarding discharging shotguns in the open ocean? Mainly curious about Georgia straight West of Vancouver, and up burrard inlet

Thanks!

BiG Boar
07-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Good question. I know you shouldn't shoot lead over water, as per waterfowl rules, but I wonder about the legality about it and about the legality of chucking clays just anywhere.

itsy bitsy xj
07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Well you're not allowed a loaded guns in or on a motorised vehicles. can't shoot lead over water. and I think (but am not sure) that all of Burrard inlet is a no discharge zone

Drillbit
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
You can shoot lead over water (rifle or shotgun), I've never seen law against that in writing. Can be "careless use of a firearm" in some cases though.

You must use steel shot when hunting most migratory game birds whether shooting over a field or water.

I'd be worried about getting a ticket for littering wads and clays. Although they say clays are biodegradable, they don't seem to break down very fast to me.

Not much of a help with the OP though

Drillbit
07-11-2013, 11:09 PM
If the boat isn't under power of the engine you can shoot off a boat.

It'd be pretty hard to get out of the boat and shoot!

tanker
07-11-2013, 11:24 PM
there are so many people in brruard inlet first of all with all the kayak rental places and boaters. in my opinion not a good place to go. and with all the cabbins and homes around to. if your talking wayyy up the end of indian arm the yacht clubs and all the land around the ocean is a park i wanted to go hunting up the end of indian arm and i couldn't figure out where the park was, i ended up contacting the guy that writes the regs and he told me but to get to a place we can shoot we have to go on to native land and they dont like people trespassing! its a grey area just my 2 cents tho

GotaGun
07-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Boat has to be anchored or tied up or beached so it can't move. To have loaded guns or discharge them. If your drifting or just floating or under power = must be unloaded

pnbrock
07-12-2013, 07:21 AM
georgia strait good luck hitting anything in the waves.i would suggest a nw wind and ebb tide to really test yourself.

skibum
07-12-2013, 09:09 AM
They did it on the love boat all the time - therefore I don't see a problem with it

Sofa King
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I really don't understand "why" you'd want to even do this.
guns and boats just aren't a good mix.
I don't like the idea that you'd be littering the ocean floor with debris.

Drillbit
07-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Boat has to be anchored or tied up or beached so it can't move. To have loaded guns or discharge them. If your drifting or just floating or under power = must be unloaded

I don't think so. Here's from the BC regs. Regarding hunting and not Target shooting though.

"Unlawful:

to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or
a boat propelled by a motor.

to hunt migratory birds from a power
boat, unless the boat is beached, resting at
anchor or fastened within or tied immediately along side a fixed hunting blind."

Lots of guys legally shoot big game out of jet-boats that aren't anchored or under power....

Moe.JKU
07-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Not a 100% sure but, since your on the ocean would you not have to use steel shot, instead of lead. Just for environment reasons, because pumping a bunch of lead pellets into salmon habitat might not go over so well in the eyes of the law/co/fisheries

Drillbit
07-12-2013, 10:42 AM
No lead ban for target shooting in BC....yet. One day I'm sure we'll follow California.

Steel shot is only needed for hunting most migratory game birds and not target shooting. Doesn't matter if your shooting over water or not for the lead ban, just intended species.

Moe.JKU
07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Yeah, i was just thinking its a reason for non gun owners/hunters to complain against something, i would imagine it would turn some heads out there.

Aheny
07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all of the answers guys. I was mostly considering this when I am camping in a remote area, but to be honest I hadnt thought about the wadding. Steel shot and broken clay doesnt sound bad (to me) for the ocean floor, but I wouldnt want to be the guy leaving wads floating around.

Sofa King
07-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all of the answers guys. I was mostly considering this when I am camping in a remote area, but to be honest I hadnt thought about the wadding. Steel shot and broken clay doesnt sound bad (to me) for the ocean floor, but I wouldnt want to be the guy leaving wads floating around.

why do you think littering "anything" down onto the ocean floor is okay?
at least the wads would eventually drift to shore and be possibly picked up.

Drillbit
07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't know the inlet or how busy it is to attract attention.

Not many people pick up their wads that I know of. Only guys I know that do it, do it over crops where they've been given permission to hunt. A little respect to the landowner as a thanks, and also so they will be granted permission to hunt in the future.

It is pretty tough to find wads in the bush though

Sofa King
07-12-2013, 11:42 AM
not many hunters pick up their spent casings either.
I always see shotgun shells and .22 shells on the roads where they've been popping chickens, etc.
and targets set up for practice are all over the place out there.

Peter Pepper
07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Pretty sure I read somewhere "NO discharge over tidal water" is a federal law. I'd look into it further before I went and did it. This is the law that keeps me from popping Canada geese in the ocean

Sasquatch
07-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Pretty sure I read somewhere "NO discharge over tidal water" is a federal law. I'd look into it further before I went and did it. This is the law that keeps me from popping Canada geese in the ocean

This would surprise me...as it would exclude for instance Roberts Bank and Westham Island, which are both popular waterfowl hunting areas.

itsy bitsy xj
07-12-2013, 01:35 PM
why do you think littering "anything" down onto the ocean floor is okay?
at least the wads would eventually drift to shore and be possibly picked up.

More likely the wads would end up drifting out and adding to the Pacific Garbage Patch. If you don't know what it is take a look on youtube

Gateholio
07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Oh geez...............................

Moe.JKU
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
You can shoot over tidal water hunting i know that, go to the dykes of delta. I just know it has to be steel shot. I wouldn't practice shooting from a boat, or over water if i was shooting clays there is so many places that are better to go, with out bringing attention and troubles to the hunting crowd.

aggiehunter
07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't know but it's sure fun hearing people make up there own rules...

sparkes3
07-12-2013, 10:23 PM
x2 aggiehunter

One Shot
07-13-2013, 12:41 AM
The open water region west of West vancouver may be within a municiple boundry. If it is, then there very well may be a prohibition of the discharge of firearms. Check your local ordinaces/bylaws.

Wood butcher
07-13-2013, 04:29 AM
How many rounds to equal one lost 15lb cannon ball from a fisherman on the ocean floor. Just a thought :)

limit time
07-13-2013, 07:20 AM
^...I agree, lots of lead is lost due to fishing.

limit time
07-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Ha Ha Ha!!! This is to funny!!!!! You keep thinking that, and I'll keep killing them over the ocean!

GotaGun
07-13-2013, 08:03 AM
I don't think so. Here's from the BC regs. Regarding hunting and not Target shooting though.

"Unlawful:

to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or
a boat propelled by a motor.

to hunt migratory birds from a power
boat, unless the boat is beached, resting at
anchor or fastened within or tied immediately along side a fixed hunting blind."

Lots of guys legally shoot big game out of jet-boats that aren't anchored or under power....

out of regs Page 17 "Legal hunting Methods=

" It is lawful for a person to retrieve a dead or injured game animal with the assistance of a power boat provided no person in the power boat is in possession of a loaded weapon"

So if it's not dead or injured we're allowed loaded guns and shoot em???

My understanding is if not tied or anchored in a power boat it's the same as having a loaded gun in your truck or on a quad???

steel_ram
07-13-2013, 11:50 AM
I guess if it's OK for fisherman to loose lead in the ocean it's OK for shooters to do it too . . . . . NOT! Hope you pick up your garbage, including the stuff that sinks.

Sofa King
07-13-2013, 12:41 PM
I guess if it's OK for fisherman to loose lead in the ocean it's OK for shooters to do it too . . . . . NOT! Hope you pick up your garbage, including the stuff that sinks.

how's he going to pick up the stuff that sinks?

BiG Boar
07-14-2013, 04:22 PM
This thread was pretty funny. A lot of misinformation out there.

Sofa King
07-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I've got a bunch of busted clay pots.
is it okay for me to take them out next time boating and dump them.
basically same thing this thread is asking.

Aheny
07-14-2013, 08:53 PM
It was a pretty funny thread, have to admit i was drunk when I posted it. Either way Thanks for the answers, even if most of them completely contradict each other!

Not sure I will ever be able to Relate with the idea of tiny steel shot in the middle of the open ocean being considered litter though.

ducktoller
07-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Litter is any waste disposed of
improperly, thus it is litter here as it is waste from your action disposed of improperly. I highly doubt you can just freely dump steel.

It was a pretty funny thread, have to admit i was drunk when I posted it. Either way Thanks for the answers, even if most of them completely contradict each other!

Not sure I will ever be able to Relate with the idea of tiny steel shot in the middle of the open ocean being considered litter though.

Gateholio
07-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Well, this has been fun. I guess I shoudl take a turn, too. :)

Legality-

Are you within a municipality or park that prohibits shooting? If not then you can shoot.
Is your boat under power? If so, you are transporting a firearm, so the gun should be empty according to federal gun laws. Federal bird hunting laws say that you can hunt from a boat not under power, so you should be able to shoot from one, too!

Littering-
You can get biodegradable clays
I wouldn't consider shot littering. Lead came from the ground, I am sure there is plenty of natural lead deposits under the ocean floor
Wadding is usually plastic, and I think everyone considers chucking plastic into the ocean littering. Waterfowl hunters shoot lots of wads into waterways and nobody chastises them, though. Maybe you can handload some old style shotgun shells with a cardboard wad, as cardboard should break down in the water. :)

6.5x55
07-19-2013, 08:39 PM
yes you can, and the reason would be?

fuzzybiscuit
07-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Guns and boats just aren't a good mix.

They're a great mix when seals are involved.