PDA

View Full Version : air tight stove

Darksith
07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Just curious what other people are using...we have a 14x16' w/ 5' walls canvas wall tent, and we have an air tight stove, but it is pretty big and heavy. The stove isn't one made for a wall tent Im sure, but more for a cabin. Anyway, my question is, how big and heavy are other peoples stoves for their wall tents? We are planning a trip north in january and I am thinking that our stove is simply too heavy to tow into the bush for our adventure. Generally we have base camp where the trucks can go, but not on this adventure, so what is an acceptable weight for a stove to keep this tent warm at night in even the coldest of days?

trebreklaw
07-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Tin airtight is the way to be light, I have used them for 40 yrs and usually take camp in by jetboat so weight is an issue. Surplus Herbies used to have them but have not noticed them there lately. If not try Home Hardware. They can order one for you.

sarg
07-11-2013, 09:27 PM
i made mine out of a 30lb propane tank works great :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7mjyhxKaBw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiH29yiazn6ubLboJFG4Pag

Ry151
07-12-2013, 02:13 AM
Tin airtight is the way to be light, I have used them for 40 yrs and usually take camp in by jetboat so weight is an issue. Surplus Herbies used to have them but have not noticed them there lately. If not try Home Hardware. They can order one for you.
I use the same thing, got it from home hardware. It's a 28", light but works good in my 14x16 wall tent. You get about 2-3 hour out of it

2forty
07-12-2013, 02:32 AM
Skyview Outdoors in Surrey has them.

longwalk
07-12-2013, 05:00 AM
I have the Colt model of the Riley stove. Loaded up and dampered down I get close to five hours out of it. Still need to get up once a night to stoke it.

Darksith
07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
gearing up is the price you pay when you want camp off the beaten path, I have no issues with that...thanks for the tips on the tin airtights and Home Hardware...any idea what they weigh?

358mag
07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
getting up is the price you pay when you want camp off the beaten path, I have no issues with that...thanks for the tips on the tin airtights and Home Hardware...any idea what they weigh?
and don't forget the most important question Darksith are they " Union" built ...LOL.....:)

aggiehunter
07-12-2013, 05:19 PM
.358 I'll talk to a union guy..to save his ass...do not listen to anyone if your going up north in January...take the GD airtight wood stove...all the hippie killers in the world won't keep the beer unfrozen...now what we use is the Fisher Papa and have had steel wheels welded on it...the rear two steer and the fronts are on solid...it's probably a 300 lbs stove (just guessing) and I can roll it into my cargo trailer by myself...on the way out she's a wee bit of a ski by myself....

Darksith
07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
My stove right now is on wheels, and its IMO too heavy to tow into the back country. We will be going in on 2 sleds and my Rhino on tracks, all towing skiffs, but between the tent, gas, stove and everything else I don't wanna take in 500lbs of gear. I might not go with a tin stove, but rather a lighter air tight. If I can get a stove that is about 20-25lbs then I think that will be the ticket. Not too heavy, but enough to do the job. You don't trust the tin stoves I take it aggie.

358 yous a funny guy, but thats ok, u can be a hater all you want, makes me smile more than your silly comments ;)

aggiehunter
07-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Darksith...I guess I should have read into Tow a little more...and yer right about the tin stoves...thus in the handle....hippie killer!!!

Downtown
07-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Just curious what other people are using...we have a 14x16' w/ 5' walls canvas wall tent, and we have an air tight stove, but it is pretty big and heavy. The stove isn't one made for a wall tent Im sure, but more for a cabin. Anyway, my question is, how big and heavy are other peoples stoves for their wall tents? We are planning a trip north in january and I am thinking that our stove is simply too heavy to tow into the bush for our adventure. Generally we have base camp where the trucks can go, but not on this adventure, so what is an acceptable weight for a stove to keep this tent warm at night in even the coldest of days?

Tin is the way to go. I am guessing the 24" model weights about 20lbs. without Damper,ellbows and Pipe.
Should keep you cozy in any weather. If you head up north you probably come trough Prince George. Goto Northern Hardware on 3th. Ave they usually carry 4 different sizes. If in doubth call ahead.

Darksith
07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Darksith...I guess I should have read into Tow a little more...and yer right about the tin stoves...thus in the handle....hippie killer!!!

its all good, great advice, and Im always looking for that. Much appreciated. Thanks