monasheemountainman
07-11-2013, 11:41 AM
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-94936-3-.htm#94936

monasheemountainman
07-11-2013, 11:43 AM
I guess all the bitching on hbc was noticed lol

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Hmmmm.....I think someone here on HBC knew this was coming down the pipe:wink:.

Well done to those leaning on the right people.
Congrats!!!

SSS

Moe.JKU
07-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Glad to see them trying to make some improvements.

rides bike to work
07-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I new my email to my mla would work:)

SingleShot
07-11-2013, 12:11 PM
This is good news. Hopefully the new system offers an electronic moose locating system.

adriaticum
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Hmmmm.....I think someone here on HBC knew this was coming down the pipe:wink:.

Well done to those leaning on the right people.
Congrats!!!

SSS

I bet on the BCWF
-------------------

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I bet on the BCWF
-------------------

I won't bet against you on that one.

SSS

Steeleco
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Good news I suppose, just hope it's better than the fishing licence BS. At least they'll have a few years to iron things our.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-11-2013, 12:46 PM
dont get excited yet troops ....its just an RFP .... those happen all the time and only 1 of every 10 RFPs goes forward ... they are out kicking tires ... doesnt mean they are buying

i will beleive it when I see the Tender awarded

monasheemountainman
07-11-2013, 01:10 PM
way to be the Debbie downer

J_T
07-11-2013, 01:16 PM
dont get excited yet troops ....its just an RFP .... those happen all the time and only 1 of every 10 RFPs goes forward ... they are out kicking tires ... doesnt mean they are buying

i will beleive it when I see the Tender awarded Well, and it isn't just 'any' RFP. This is not targeting the construction of an online hunt licencing system. This is about an IT transformation and technology alignment for a very large number of existing business areas. Automation of hunt licencing, is but one of them.

Mines and Mineral Resources Program Automation and Systems Integration

Natural Gas Pricing System Modernization

Hunting Program Automation and Systems Consolidation

NRS Compliance and Enforcement Harmonization

Wildfire Program Modernization and Systems Consolidation

Residential Tenancy Systems Modernization

Natural Resource Road Act Systems Consolidation

Crown Land Tenures Systems Consolidation and Integration

NRS First Nations Consultation Information Transformation Plan

Environmental Assessment Systems Modernization

Inventory Sample Management

Fella
07-11-2013, 01:17 PM
I think it's a great idea although I kinda like the little booklet with the tags.

ROY-alty33
07-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Way to jump in to the 21 century, BC. Guess they figure this internet thingy is gonna catch on. Visionaries in Victoria I tell ya.

On a side note, post offices all over BC are closing.

bandit
07-11-2013, 02:52 PM
So they are planning to have it ready for the 2015 season. If you look at the doc on bcbid they have budgeted 28,400 man hours and $2.6 million to the system. That's about 7 full time employees working flat out for 2 years to get the system running. I can only hope for that amount of time and money it's a totally kick ass system!!!

keoke
07-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Let's just hope they don't decide to modernize the fees aswell

steel_ram
07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
So they are planning to have it ready for the 2015 season. If you look at the doc on bcbid they have budgeted 28,400 man hours and $2.6 million to the system. That's about 7 full time employees working flat out for 2 years to get the system running. I can only hope for that amount of time and money it's a totally kick ass system!!!

Does that include coffee breaks, Flex days, stress days, team building workshops, payed leaves, helijet rides, etc. etc.

Whonnock Boy
07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
So they are planning to have it ready for the 2015 season. If you look at the doc on bcbid they have budgeted 28,400 man hours and $2.6 million to the system. That's about 7 full time employees working flat out for 2 years to get the system running.
Pfffffttt!!!! Slinkey Pickle could have it up and running on a long weekend. :-D

bandit
07-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Does that include coffee breaks, Flex days, stress days, team building workshops, payed leaves, helijet rides, etc. etc.

They are using contractors not government employees to build it. So no flex days, stress leave or other public sector perks!

GoatGuy
07-11-2013, 06:07 PM
This is good news folks- suggest you treat it as such. Might find LEH Christmas comes much much sooner.

GoatGuy
07-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Well, and it isn't just 'any' RFP. This is not targeting the construction of an online hunt licencing system. This is about an IT transformation and technology alignment for a very large number of existing business areas. Automation of hunt licencing, is but one of them.

Mines and Mineral Resources Program Automation and Systems Integration

Natural Gas Pricing System Modernization

Hunting Program Automation and Systems Consolidation

NRS Compliance and Enforcement Harmonization

Wildfire Program Modernization and Systems Consolidation

Residential Tenancy Systems Modernization

Natural Resource Road Act Systems Consolidation

Crown Land Tenures Systems Consolidation and Integration

NRS First Nations Consultation Information Transformation Plan

Environmental Assessment Systems Modernization

Inventory Sample Management

JT- it's the partisan approach, no more thought put into it than that.

BlacktailStalker
07-11-2013, 06:15 PM
This is good, convenient for sure.
Also, no fines from improperly filled out tags/licences from untrained store clerks or stores being, "out of those ones, nobody has ever bought a lynx tag here on the Island, sorry"

Whonnock Boy
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Any thoughts on how this would work with species tags, and the cancellation of them? Would licenses just be filled out online then sent to the person? I always wonder how many guys print out a couple fishing licenses to skirt the retention limits.

Benthos
07-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Any thoughts on how this would work with species tags, and the cancellation of them? Would licenses just be filled out online then sent to the person? I always wonder how many guys print out a couple fishing licenses to skirt the retention limits.

I was thinking the same thing. There will have to be some one time print feature or some other mechanism built in? AThough most folks are straight as an arrow, I fear there would still be those abusing the system and printing off multiple copies?

GoatGuy
07-11-2013, 07:15 PM
NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release 2013FLNR0115-001089
July 11, 2013
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
Hunting licence program to receive major upgrades
VICTORIA – The hunting licensing program will receive major upgrades, following a commitment to create an online service that will be flexible, convenient, user-friendly and fit for the 21st century, Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Minister Steve Thomson announced today.
Under the Request for Proposals launched today, the first step in building the system has been taken. A key feature of the upgrade will be an electronic service, which hunters will be able to access 24 hours a day, seven days a week to purchase their hunting licences and apply for Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) opportunities. Currently, licences and LEH applications can only be purchased from Service BC offices or licensed vendors, many of which are not available over the weekend or non-business hours.
The new electronic licensing service will be efficient, convenient, easy to use and increase cost effectiveness in a time of fiscal restraint. Resident hunters will have easier access to hunter services, increasing participation, and guide outfitters’ in-camp clients will be able to obtain licences without waiting for a vendor to open or travelling to a vendor location.
The system will also help the Province meet important resource management objectives to ensure the health and sustainability of wildlife populations. The electronic system will create a single point of reference for data collection, including compulsory inspection information, guide outfitter hunter reports and resident hunter harvest information, all of which will feed directly into timely and more informed wildlife management decisions.
The ministry is targeting the 2015-16 hunting season to have the new service in place.
The B.C. government is inviting bids to design the upgrade, and those wishing to submit a proposal should visit the BC Bid website at: www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca
(Click “Browse”, then choose “by organization”, click “Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations” then select “Document No ITP-011 Consultants: IT Systems Transformation”.)
The deadline for proposals is 2 p.m. Aug. 20, 2013.
Quotes:
Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations –
“The new electronic licensing program will make it easier than ever for British Columbians to go hunting and will help ensure sound wildlife management decisions support the ministry’s conservation goals.”
Bill Bosch, president, BC Wildlife Federation –
“The new electronic licensing system is a fundamental step forward in improving access to hunting and will help support sustainable wildlife populations by creating a reliable system to collect hunter participation and harvest information. The BCWF commends the provincial government for moving forward with this important initiative.”
Quick Facts:
 Hunting generates $9.2 million in licensing revenues for the Province and is responsible for an additional $500-700 million in broader economic activity, primarily in B.C.’s rural and remote regions.
 Under the Province’s Resident Hunter Recruitment and Retention strategy, hunting licence sales have steadily increased and in 2012-13 exceeded 100,000.
 The Province successfully introduced the Freshwater Fishing E-Licensing System in fall 2007.
Learn More:
To learn more about wildlife management in B.C., visit the Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch at: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/
Media Relations Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations 250 356-5261
Connect with the Province of B.C. at: www.gov.bc.ca/connect

Ambush
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
NICE!!

Just yesterday I bought a Wyoming antelope tag, archery licence and conservation stamp, everything I need, right from my couch. And I was wondering if and when I could ever do the same for BC. :confused:
Now I know! :-D

RobRuger
07-11-2013, 07:31 PM
sooooo can i buy tags online too?

sapper
07-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Fantastic news. Interesting timing too, the day after our new premier gets her seat in the Interior. Don't get me wrong, we (CC and I)used to run in the same circles at SFU years ago. I'm sure that comment will get me some spammers. ;-)

f350ps
07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Wow, and it'll be ready in 2015-16, why the rush I wonder? K

Gateholio
07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Well this is great news, although it's a bit painful to read that it will take 2 years to implement!

It is good to see that Premier Clark is moving forward after the election! :)

Sofa King
07-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I was thinking the same thing. There will have to be some one time print feature or some other mechanism built in? AThough most folks are straight as an arrow, I fear there would still be those abusing the system and printing off multiple copies?

I always print of four or five copies of my fishing licence.
I make sure there is always one in my truck, one with my tackle kit, one in my boat, and usually a spare in the truck.
that's kinda what the convenience of the online system is for.

Darksith
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Well this is great news, although it's a bit painful to read that it will take 2 years to implement!

It is good to see that Premier Clark is moving forward after the election! :)

really? You are giving the politicians the credit for this 1? Ok then...

blackbart
07-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Sounds a whole lot better than "lets ban the Grizzly hunt".

The Hermit
07-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Yes as a hunter it is good news but not so sure as a tax payer. However, I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic that the project goes forward this time... but I've been there done that on the last three go-a-arounds and wasted over $300K in proposal development efforts. My masters were NOT happy with the decision to pursue the business - losing to a competitor is one thing but failing to confirm treasury board approval and having the project pulled is another... lesson one learned the first time. I would bet my house that the actual development project does not have treasury board approval and trust me there won't be any project of this size undertaken without it. It wasn't just my company that learned this the hard way. In total, the industry at large wasted millions of dollars preparing proposals that didn't result in a Hunting Licensing solution ever being built.

Lesson two was that regardless of Treasury Board Approval the Ministry can decide to allocate those dollars to other priorities with little consideration to the time, effort and money wasted on the part of industry, and the constraints on consulting staff time on the bench because they decide to postpone or cancel a project due to "shifting priorities and political will". The fact that they issued an omnibus, boil the friggin ocean, RFP essentially to review current systems, analyze business models, create 11 system requirements documents, and design all the systems, is no guarantee that any one of the 11 solutions will actually be built.

The problem as a systems integrator or custom application developer, in this case, is that if you don't invest in the proposal process and score very well, then you don't get to compete on the application development or COTS configuration phase nor the maintenance and development pieces down the road which is where the real money is. Its a high risk game trusting politicians and the whims of bureaucrats, in this very very competitive arena. I know a couple HBC members that will be going after all or pieces of this work and wish them the best of luck! Maybe they could collaborate on some if it... hint!

What worries me is that business cases for these systems are not part of the deliverables. How will the Gov determine which systems will go forward? If you look at these systems from a revenue/capital asset value perspective and certainly from an ROI perspective I doubt that the online hunting system will remain be high on the list of priorities when it comes time to spend the actual development money... which has been the case in the past and the main reason given for canning the project. So please forgive my skepticism, its five years later I'm almost over being bitter... the following is the standard wiggle out clause.
Subsequent Phases of the AssignmentsSubsequent project phases, while not in scope for this RFP, may be handled in various ways by the Province. Based on the outcomes of Phase 1, funding approvals, contract performance, negotiations with incumbent Contractors and changing priorities the Province may, at its sole discretion, do one or more the following:

Cancel a project (i.e. no subsequent phases);
Suspend a project (i.e. delay the start of subsequent phases);
Negotiate with the Contractor of Phase 1 on a project for their services to continue for one or more subsequent phases ;
Run a competition for the work of one or more subsequent phases of a project amongst the incumbent Contractors (selected by this RFP) (i.e. a limited distribution RFP);
Run a competition for the work of one or more subsequent phases of one or more projects amongst incumbent Contractors and Eligible Suppliers;
Run a competition for the work of one or more subsequent phases of one or more projects on BC Bid (i.e. publicly posted RFP); or
Initiate new projects that relate to, derive from, are consequences or permutations of the projects described in this RFP and acquire services for those projects using one or more of the approaches listed above.

In this phase of the project the following Section of the RFP outlines what is to be accomplished in this phase...
Assignment C: Hunting Program AutomationBackgroundHunting in British Columbia (BC) is a time-honoured tradition – one well-regulated on foundations of conservation, sustainable use, fair chase, and human safety. More and more British Columbians are engaging in hunting. However, frustration has been growing among citizens about the cumbersome paper-based licensing system that underlies hunting, which limits the growth of the sector and its economic benefits. BC is among the last jurisdictions in North America to maintain a paper-based Hunting License Program. Hunting generates $9.2 million in licensing revenues for the Province and is responsible for an additional $500-700 million in broader economic activity – primarily in BC’s rural and remote regions. Strategically, hunting licensing information is critical for managing wildlife resources effectively and it plays a key role in increasingly complex compliance and enforcement efforts.

Hunting Program Automation includes transformation to electronic service delivery and improved decision-making on wildlife resource management.
Objectives - Hunting Program AutomationThe proposed initiative will include:

Flexible, citizen-centric, self-service hunting licensing and Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) draws
Increases in citizen confidence, hunter retention and recruitment, certainty for guide outfitters and clients, and generated revenues
Consolidated business processes for integrated decision-making on wildlife resource stewardship
Wildlife harvest data published in alignment with Open Data
Reporting systems
Integration with Compliance and Enforcement systems

Requirements and Deliverables - Hunting Program AutomationThe requirements and deliverables for the Hunting Program Automation component of the project include:

Service

Associated Deliverables

Plan and conduct a business process and systems review for the Hunting Program Automation systems.

Project Plan - created after initial orientation, for presentation to and approval.
Preparatory materials for workshop sessions, and documentation of results from sessions, using tools and formats as specified by IMB. It is expected that most of this will take place using the Enterprise Architect tool.
Business Process models (using BPMN 2) for both the (AS IS model) and identifying opportunities for consolidation (TO BE model).

Prepare a Software Requirements Specification (SRS) document for the Hunting Program Automation systems.

Preparatory materials for workshop sessions, and documentation of results from sessions, using tools and formats as specified by IMB. It is expected that most of this will take place using the Enterprise Architect tool.
Software Requirements Specifications document, identifying the functional and non-functional requirements for a corporate solution. Use Cases, Business Process Models, Business Rules, and Logical Data Models are to be captured in the Enterprise Architect tool and may be exported in text format to populate the relevant sections of the SRS document.
Logical data model for the integrated for the Hunting Program Automation systems
Additional Deliverables: other supporting diagrams and models as required captured in Enterprise Architect.

Project Management related documentation

Status reports, change management, communication documents and Project Charter as required.
Meetings involving coordination with other Transformation Plan Project teams

Historical Artifacts - Hunting Program AutomationA number of historical documents are available which describe, to varying levels of accuracy, the current components of systems and processes that may provide foundational materials. Historical documentation may include:

Requirements
System Design
Operations Manuals
Lean (business process re-engineering) initiative documentation

Sofa King
07-13-2013, 08:46 AM
^did not read.

coquitlam
07-13-2013, 09:11 AM
really !!!!!

The Hermit
07-13-2013, 02:50 PM
^did not read.

LOL lazy toad!

GoatGuy
07-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Guess one could always ask government the obvious.....

papahank
07-13-2013, 05:54 PM
I think that moving forward is always a good thing! Ya, bummer that it will be 2 years before it is working, but at least we know it is coming. The nay sayers can go off on their rants if they want. I for one will be first ONLINE to get my license and tags when it is up and running.