PDA

View Full Version : 7-24 Antlerless LEH Elk Draw - Mid Nov to Mid Dec

forester
07-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm a new hunter and first time poster to this forum and am really excited about what I can learn here. I was lucky in the draw this year and got an antlerless elk draw in 7-24. The only challenge is that the draw is limited to private land. I've asked a few friends that live north of the Salmon River if they know of any hunting-friendly ranchers, but no luck so far. Aside from knocking on ranchers doors, does anyone know of how to connect with hunting-friendly ranchers in 7-24? The local CO used to keep a list, but doesn't do that any longer. Any help would be appreciated.

pete_k
07-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Bring your maps, go for long drives and knock on doors.
It's gonna take lots of time and gas money on your part. (real work)
Start now. Be prepared for "NO", but you may get lucky.
Remember that you likely won't be the first person who has asked.
Once you meet up with a receptive land owner he/she may point you to others at which point it may get easier.
Welcome to the site. 1st post is supposed to be an intro and joke btw.

forester
07-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your response. I wasn't aware of the "rules" related to my first post :). I'm a forester from Prince George, originally from Castlegar, and have lived up here for over ten years. I have seen both the worst and the best bush in my 100's of kilometers travelled on foot through northern forests during the course of my job. I started hunting about 4 years ago but haven't had an opportunity to get my rifle bloody yet. I'm really looking forward to making this fall a successful season. As for my joke....what did the elephant say to the naked man? ...............that's cute but can it pick up peanuts?

Glassman
07-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Good joke. Welcome

moosinaround
07-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Pretty tight group those Salmon Valley folk. Is it not within 2000 m of private land as well? A few crown areas around there. Smile lots as you walk through the bush, lots of trail cams out that way!! Welcome to HBC PG chapter. Moosinaround

junkyard_g
07-12-2013, 01:39 PM
ask the CO closer to the season start date whether he knows of any one having elk issues at that time, he may not keep a list but could provide you with some areas to ask or a general location of which properties they are hanging out by.

moosinaround
07-12-2013, 01:43 PM
ask the CO closer to the season start date whether he knows of any one having elk issues at that time, he may not keep a list but could provide you with some areas to ask or a general location of which properties they are hanging out by.
good advice junkyardg!! CO's are the eyes and ears of the managers! Moosin

cameron0518
07-12-2013, 10:19 PM
first time poster asking for help. odd

forester
07-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Off to Hedrick Lake tomorrow high above the McGregor River. Bringing my trusty defender in case I run into an unfriendly grizz. We will be getting dropped off in the alpine and then descending down into the saddle where the lake is. It should be a great day of hiking, fishing and wildlife viewing. Can't wait! Thanks all for the advice.