PDA

View Full Version : Goose hunting, which tip?

Elkhound
01-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Goose hunting tips. Would you use a broadhead, judo points, bullet points? Which would be acceptable for geese?

Thanks guys

Dirty
01-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Gobbler Guillotine :twisted:

willyqbc
01-11-2007, 01:04 PM
geese are tough...I think I would use a turkey type set up including a broadhead with a tracking string as they are probably gonna fly when you hit'em. This is all just speculation as i have never attempted this myself.

Chris

NEEHAMA
01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
do you try and shoot them in the air?

MB_Boy
01-11-2007, 01:14 PM
do you try and shoot them in the air?

I think this thread should be forwarded to BC Ferries as a warning for people using the Langdale Ferry to and from Horseshoe Bay. The should be advised to "duck" if they see or hear "geese" flying in the close proximity. :biggrin:

Elkhound
01-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I think this thread should be forwarded to BC Ferries as a warning for people using the Langdale Ferry to and from Horseshoe Bay. The should be advised to "duck" if they see or hear "geese" flying in the close proximity. :biggrin:

:roll:..........:biggrin:

todbartell
01-11-2007, 02:27 PM
ounce and a quarter of steel BBB works good in my "bow" :lol: 8-)

NEEHAMA
01-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Buck Shot To

Sideofabarn
01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok so I found a couple of options for you on this. First, as Dirty mentioned, try the gobbler guillotine. Needless to say that you would have to be a reasonable shot, for as the name implies, you are attempting to decapitate the bird. Second is to try something with serrated blades, such as the Magnus Buzzcut. Check the regs on this as I couldn't say if this head type is legal here in BC. Thirdly, put an Adder Point behind a standard broadhead. I am thinking of trying the last setup for hares and rabbits. This does the same job supposedly as the serrated head. Apparently, the premise behind bowhunting big birds is to NOT have a pass through on shots, so assumedly the broadhead stays in the beastie and the blades increase the size and presumably the severity, of the wound as the bird moves. According the the folks on the Zwickey website, judos are not recommended for use on large turkeys, and I suspect this could be applied to hunting geese as well. Let us know how you get on, I'd be tempted to try it myself. FYI all of the above is "book larnin'" and not my experience, yet.

moosecaller
01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
I have shot ducks and geese with a bow you have to use a broad head. I shot them in the city of penticton which is a no shooting area but not a no hunting area the golf corse owners welcomed me with open arms as this was a problem for them and their greens getting destroyed. Make sure you tell the local police if you are shooting in city limits when you go out way less hassle when the phone calls start coming in about a rambo shooting in town. I found all shots on the birds fatal I had no fly/run aways and it's a lot of fun. All of my shots were on the ground and in a couple of hours I had my limit. I haven't checked lately but the regs. specify broad head on migratory birds, at least when I did this a few years back.

Franko Manini
01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I have shot ducks and geese with a bow you have to use a broad head. I shot them in the city of penticton which is a no shooting area but not a no hunting area the golf corse owners welcomed me with open arms as this was a problem for them and their greens getting destroyed. Make sure you tell the local police if you are shooting in city limits when you go out way less hassle when the phone calls start coming in about a rambo shooting in town. I found all shots on the birds fatal I had no fly/run aways and it's a lot of fun. All of my shots were on the ground and in a couple of hours I had my limit. I haven't checked lately but the regs. specify broad head on migratory birds, at least when I did this a few years back.

Hermit, if you're watching this thread...

Can you imagine the days we could have at Olympic View and Caddy Bay golf courses?

Eagle1
01-11-2007, 08:53 PM
If you read the hunting regs it says you HAVE TO use a broadhead for migratory birds, min 7/8 th dia for hunting.
Blunts or judos for upland game birds.

Elkhound
01-12-2007, 10:44 AM
If you read the hunting regs it says you HAVE TO use a broadhead for migratory birds, min 7/8 th dia for hunting.
Blunts or judos for upland game birds.

Yup. Checked the regs last night. Thanks for the info people.

The Hermit
01-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Hermit, if you're watching this thread...

Can you imagine the days we could have at Olympic View and Caddy Bay golf courses?

Yea and on the school yards too! I don't want to do this at my course... Ha hahhahahahaha... I can hear all the jibes now and my picture in the news letter, etc! Ha!

o2fish2day
03-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Where in the regs does it say broadheads for migritory birds..I can't find it

Bow Walker
03-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Goose hunting tips. Would you use a broadhead, judo points, bullet points? Which would be acceptable for geese?

Thanks guys
It has been reported to me thru a friend that the geese in the lower mainland (Vanc geese) are really tough to eat - mostly because of their diet, which is primarily grasses. No fat content to "tenderize" the meat.

It has been reported to me that this friend (who shall remain nameless - to protect the not-so-innocent) found the bird so tough that he couldn't even stick a fork into the gravy!!:shock:

Just a word of caution that's all.

Now. Despite all of the above, I have just recently given up gun hunting and before that I used to bird hunt every season. I've shot many a goose on the Island here and not found a tough one yet.

Personally - as far as a bow is concerned - I would pay close attention to the reply by Sideofabarn.

The head on a goose is a fairly small and difficult target to hit, so it would be a body shot for me. I would want to place my arrow so as to be as lethal as possible, without spoiling the the nice "booby meat."

One of the smaller profile 1 1/8 inch cutting diameter heads with an Adder behind it would do the trick. Heads such as the Slick Trick, or the Amrcn Brdhd Co., or something along those lines. You might not even need the Adder point with that type of B/H point. Maybe just a field point with an Adder?

I'd be very interested to see and hear your results.

Elkhound
03-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I'd be very interested to see and hear your results.

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately goose season ended way to fast here on the coast. So I will have to try next season.

o2fish2day- page 16 of the regs bottom of the chart

o2fish2day
03-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Guys... am I blind?? I can't see on pg 16 in the 2006-2007 where it says broadheads required for migritory game birds?? Help me out. can someone copy the text into the thread.

Elkhound
03-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Now that I have reread the regs. I think some of us have misread them.
The regs say we must use the rules of Bow D

Regs quote
"Bow D (Longbow, Recurve, Compound) - Must have pull of no less than 18 kg (40 lbs) within the archer’s draw length. For big game, must have an arrow with a broadhead at least 2.2 cm (7/8 in) at the widest point."

I read this as we need a broadhead for big game only. Migratory birds just need a bow with a 40lb pull.
Therefore I don't think you need a broadhead for geese by the way the regs are written