PDA

View Full Version : 5-02B Bull Moose info

tedg
07-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Finally got lucky with LEH and it was a group draw at that. We got a moose draw for 5-02B for Nov 1-15. We have never hunted in the area and I was hoping some of the kind folks on here might be able to guide us in the right direction So any pointers, good base camp spots or areas to avoid for moose and deer in 5-02B would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

srupp
07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
hmmm draws that time of year mean FOOD look for red willow..40#s a day per animal..be prepared to sneak through the inside of the tree line looking for beds just inside the treeline...and close to foods ie willows..of course snow will help in that it shows where the moose are moving however it can be crunchy and give your location away..shots are generally a bit on the longer side... FIRST thing in am moose will stand just inside the cut block or opening letting the sun remove the frost from overnight.../steven

BearStump
07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Srupp is the man. He gave me plenty of good info for my hunt last year in the same region. and yes we got our moose.
BTW, thanks Srupp.

4pointhunter
07-10-2013, 05:40 PM
just noticed i posted about the wrong area, sorry

srupp
07-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Srupp is the man. He gave me plenty of good info for my hunt last year in the same region. and yes we got our moose.
BTW, thanks Srupp.

Thanks BearStump...even this springs grizzly hunters I know of three more successful Grizz hunters who got their animals...and I was privileged to be able to share some knowledge and areas and ideas...just would have liked to hear how it went ...lol..herd they were successful just didn't hear back from them..

If things start looking a bit confusing send me a PM with a ph # and I will give you a call with some ideas to start...now off to help a first time g-bear hunter..

cheers
Srupp

thepitchedlink
07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Hey, I have the same draw, but Oct 15-31, so following with interest. We'll be based out of Ruth Lake. PM me right at the end of Oct and hopefully I'll tell you about all the moose we saw!!!

BearSupreme
07-10-2013, 10:48 PM
My friend had that draw in Sept last year. Saw no bulls in 2 weeks. We talked to a guy who said when he got a draw there last (3 years ago) he couldnt go anywhere without seeing moose. We saw a skunk on the last day.... Irony steaks all year..

tedg
07-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys for some great info since we dont really know the area. I have started looking at google earth and some area maps an such...still not sure if we should get a cabin or take the campers and setup camp.???

Hunt-4-Life
07-13-2013, 04:56 PM
This is a great area, you'll find that the moose are in "pockets", you can drive around for two weeks and never see one but you'll drive past two or three a day. I've got a few good spots scouted as this is my favorite area to hunt moose, pm me for a couple tips. Cheers and good luck.