PDA

View Full Version : 17 hmr scope mounting

deerslayer2
07-09-2013, 11:44 PM
This may seem to many as a bad question but here goes: I just purchased a Savage btvlss 17 hmr. I have had a lot of great results with a previous hmr hunting rabbits in the past. I am mounting a bushnell 4200 4-16X40 on it. I purchased a set of burris high zee rings and tried to put it all together tonight. Problem is, when the scope is mounted it BARELY, and I mean a small fraction of a millimeter, touches the stainless barrel. The contact point is about 1mm. It is such a small connection that I can still turn the AO and no paint comes off the scope. I know that in time it will wear the paint of the scope. I am not concerned about that. I also know that barrel harmonics can be affected. My questions to people in the know are this: Because of the small calibre/ weight of the bullet travelling down a heavy barrel, will the harmonics really be affected? Because of the small calibre/weight of the bullet and the heavy barrel, do I run any risk of shaking something loose in my scope. Thanks for any input. I am thinking of trying to find a DIP base but if my scope isn't going to fall apart and accuracy isn't going to suffer, I would rather stick to this setup. Thanks again.

digginsweatinswearin
07-10-2013, 06:44 AM
I have the same gun and had the same problem, the taller bases were a couple weeks away so I fired up the CNC machine and made my own. I really didn't want any contact, because if I ever had any issues with it I would always be wondering if that had something to do with it. By the way, I love that gun.

brian
07-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Touch your barrel with your finger and the harmonics would change. The only way to tell if it would actually affect accuracy is to shoot it. You could try putting some shims under the bases if the contact is minimal.

steel_ram
07-10-2013, 07:20 AM
A thin shim in the lower rings might do the job.

phoenix
07-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Just shim under the bases. Easy and works. I use beer can metal myself.
Kim

Iron Glove
07-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Same rifle, similiar scope, same problem. :mrgreen:
You can get the taller bases pretty easily - picked mine up at a local Gun Show or order from Cabellas, etc.
Solves the problem.

wrenchhead
07-10-2013, 08:23 AM
If you use a beer can shim make sure it is bone beer because it is equal to a brown c-hair.

deerslayer2
07-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info about shimming the bases. I took it out tonight an ran 100 rounds down range at 25, 50, and 100 yds. I did so with the scope still touching the barrel to see if I needed to shim it. I've heard and read a lot about the accuracy of these rifles and well, I ain't messing with it!!!! My go to 270 WSM deer rifle consistently groups 1/2-3/4 inch groups with 130 grn TTSX hand loads. This rimfire is a hair less. Thanks again for the input.

tracker
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info about shimming the bases. I took it out tonight an ran 100 rounds down range at 25, 50, and 100 yds. I did so with the scope still touching the barrel to see if I needed to shim it. I've heard and read a lot about the accuracy of these rifles and well, I ain't messing with it!!!! My go to 270 WSM deer rifle consistently groups 1/2-3/4 inch groups with 130 grn TTSX hand loads. This rimfire is a hair less. Thanks again for the input.

You should get better groups than that with a 17 hmr ,try some different ammo ,mine likes the federal and my buddys likes the hornady .. Exspecially with a scope like that on it..

BRvalley
07-11-2013, 08:32 AM
I found with my savage hmr i get the tightest group with cci 20 gr full jacket, 5 rounds into a half inch...I find at about the 100 round mark the groups open up and need to clean...hornady 20 gr's were accurate, but far dirtier than the cci's

steel_ram
07-11-2013, 08:55 AM
What sort of groups are you getting with the HMR? My cheapo savage usually shot less than an inch groups at 100, either loading. Very susceptible to wind. On a good still day I could hit old oranges at 200yds, but on a windy day forget it.

ruger#1
07-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Way to go you fruit killer. I was hitting 12g shot shells at 100 yards with my Mossberg 17HMR. But in the wind it was impossible.

steel_ram
07-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I know, oranges make a sad substitute for ground squirrels. But they do blow up real good, and make a rather satisfying thwack.

deerslayer2
07-11-2013, 05:21 PM
"What sort of groups are you getting with the HMR"? 5 shot groups. I ran 5 different ammo brands/weights though it. It liked the CCI 17 grain TNT hollow points the best. My last two targets after playing around and sighting in were as follows: First target was 1/4 inch at 50 yds, just over 1/2 inch at 100. My second target was 1/3 at 50 yds and 3/4 at 100 yds. Looking forward to bunny season!!!

Drillbit
07-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Just file the barrel a bit for more clearance:) JK

steel_ram
07-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Probably not the prefered cartridge for bunnies if you plan on eating them. Unless your taking head shots only. Accuracy sounds great!

deerslayer2
07-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Probably not the prefered cartridge for bunnies if you plan on eating them. Unless your taking head shots only. Accuracy sounds great!

I had a cheapo savage 17hmr years ago in Kamloops. Took a lot of hares with it with no problem on meat damage. When hit, it sounded like a center fire hitting a deer/moose. Ban/Flop on 90% I was using 20 grn ammo at the time. It will be interesting to see if the 17 grn tnt do any more meat damage. If so, I will try and find some 20 grn. I've been told by a few forestry friends that bunnies are prevalent in region 5 this year!!!! Warm up the Crockpot!!!