PDA

View Full Version : Gear list for Moose

Moe.JKU
07-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Hello all i was hoping to get some input on my list for my upcoming moose hunt. This the first draft, i will add stuff as i research more, just figured help on here would be good. details 11 days, 3 people, Early oct, region 5. I have never done a moose trip just don't want to forget anything, or bring things i wont use. Be using a jeep and a 6x10 trailer. Any input from experience is appreciated.
Cheers
When i attach the file it says its invalid so here is the copy paste version.

Camping Equipment

Hunting Equipment

Clothes

General Equipment

Shelter

rifle 30-06

Jacket

Back Roads mapbook

Tarp

Moose tag

pants/shorts

digital camera

axe

2 mulie tags

Rain jacket

chairs

sleeping pad

black bear tag

Johnnie walker red

sleeping bag

caribou tag

Waders

beer

electric chainsaw

shotgun 12g

base layer x2

hi lift

blankets

30 180gr federal TBT

middle layer x2

ladder

200ft paracord

20 12g 000buck/slugs

2 under armour hoodies

towstrap

shovel

50 12g 2 3/4 #8

toque

garbage bags

propane

50 12g 3 1/2 #2

blaze orange hat

survival kit

bear spray

Havalon piranta

socks x10

batteries

water jug

spare blades

underwear x10

radios

stove

bone saw

neoprene gloves

toilet paper

pillows

Molle bag

boots

snacks

pulleys

8 game bags

camp shoes

sunscreen

2x 5gal gerry cans

Binos

towels

flashlight

toothbrush/toothpaste

GPS

fly rod

medication

headlamp

flies

cooking utensils

Rangfinder

goldbond

coolers x2

latex gloves

smokes

foldup table

compass

lighters

1 pot

survey tape

multi tool

1 pan

sharpening stone

vanilla extract(bug spray)

generator

water bottle

food

Power cord

call

tool bag

lights

meat hooks

Philcott
07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Better get some TP on there somewhere.

Ooopps just saw it.

Hillbros_96
07-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Stupid question, Electric chain saw, but no long extension cords? Where are you going to plug it into?

Moe.JKU
07-09-2013, 01:50 PM
I thought i had a genny on there. and the cord i have for it doesn't come off about 20 ft.

adriaticum
07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Wholesale sports have a checklist on their website you can compare
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/home/hunting/hunting-checklist/c0-c10-cchHunting-p1.html

Paulyman
07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Mmmmmmm Johnny Walker red, good call! don't forget the Coleman lanterns as well.

Wullfen
07-09-2013, 01:55 PM
I would add meat hooks, it makes your quarters a lot easier to hang. I would recommend a gas chain saw if you or your buddies have one, or can get one, mostly for fire wood. And I would add a Whitetail as well, they are present depending where you are in Region 5, my cousin shot a Whitey buck there 2 years ago. Better safe than sorry, in case you see antlers and no tail, then you won't have to worry, just drop him.

RINO
07-09-2013, 01:58 PM
I see the Blaze Orange hat... But no Camo Gear... Or Fireball

Moe.JKU
The main reason to bring electric is so we don't get oil or gas on the meat when processing it.
And all the clothes will be camo. Rino

goatdancer
6 friends with strong backs and weak minds...........

Wullfen
07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
If you have a generator, you should grab a rechargable saws-all (don't know if that is spelt right). They work like a charm splitting a moose, less mess as well.

Hillbros_96
07-09-2013, 02:03 PM
If you have a generator, you should grab a rechargable saws-all (don't know if that is spelt right). They work like a charm splitting a moose, less mess as well.

I second that or a corded one if there is a generator going anyway, and then take a gas chainsaw for firewood. I think the firewood capability would outweight the weight disadvantage.

Wullfen
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I'd bring more than a hundred feet of rope in case you need to hall him with your truck or atv any distance to get him closer to a spot for loading.

Moe.JKU
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Alright Good information, so far. going to switch to gas for chainsaw, bring a little extra gas as well.
add some more rope.

Keep it coming i got lots of time to critique my list and find some stuff.

Paulyman
07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
As far as the power issue goes, buy an inverter. I use an inverter in my work van and I love it.

BCBRAD
07-09-2013, 03:02 PM
The main reason to bring electric is so we don't get oil or gas on the meat when processing it.

First thing is trade the Red for Black. We used a gen-set for years for lights etc., today its alot better to use candles and a coleman lamp with stick screwed into a 20lb bottle ( no noise). A gas powered chainsaw of good quality ( Stihl,Husky etc, no bargan brand shit, nothing but misery, and definitely not Homelite). Do not use a chainsaw of any sort to 'process' meat. Bone chips and otherwise a complete mess. For cutting bone we use a carpenters saw, and always carry a Buck sawbuck in the pack for field work it has a bone side and a wood side, they are cheap, easy to pack and to use. May want to take some cheese cloth ( lots of it to wrap quarters up in) cheaper and more flexible in use than game bags. Other than that you got it covered. Always try to reduce your 'shit' as it makes life easier when out doing it.

Vader
07-09-2013, 03:11 PM
I see no tools for repairs.. Pretty hard to twist a nut with your fingers.. less its twixt yer legs!

TexasWalker
07-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Don't forget a bag of weedhttp://www.crawlinbc.com/forum/images/smilies/doobie.gif

warnniklz
07-09-2013, 03:22 PM
rifle, ammo, knife, liquor... that is all

Citori54
07-09-2013, 03:22 PM
We always take one gas chainsaw for wood, and I have one gas chainsaw that is only used for meat. I use vegtable oil for chain oil, but be sure to clean and take the bar off as soon as you get home otherwise the veggie oil will glue the chain to the bar. using a chainsaw is a bit messy for the person doing the cutting, so I always take disposable coveralls. Never had a problem with bone chips or mess with meat, we just wipe it all down after we finish with cloth or dry paper towel (our butcher always comments how clean our meat is). We hunt later in the year (Oct 15th) so the meat is well set up with the cold weather, and we only spilt and quarter just prior to leaving, and then wrap in cheese cloth. The nice thing with having the extra saw is you have a spare for fire wood in case your wood saw breaks down.

Moe.JKU
07-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Good point, i usually forget tools because i have it stashed in my jeep at all times. Ill add it to the list.
I don't want to bring to much stuff thats forsure, i like packing as light as possible i was amazed at the size of the list when i finished going to have to try and cut it down a bit i think.

Wullfen
07-09-2013, 04:07 PM
We always end up with way more gear Moose hunting, bigger job than deer.
And don't forget a cigar.....

moosinaround
07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Skip the johnnie walker anything, and buy a single malt, glenlivet, mccallums, ect!! 12 years or older!! Maybe some rye?? A packboard, rain gear? moosin

Moe.JKU
07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Skip the johnnie walker anything, and buy a single malt, glenlivet, mccallums, ect!! 12 years or older!! Maybe some rye?? A packboard, rain gear? moosin
My blood is not that rich. I have a light rain jacket in there and my hunting pants are waterproof and if it gets miserable ill toss the waders on. and the packing bag is a molle bag which i will be using to haul out meat.

bridger
07-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Don't see the uhaul trailer! Lol!

Rev.
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I think it is a good idea to bring an extra rifle if you have one. It's nice to have a spare kicking around just in case something happens to yours in the field when your out there.

Rev.
07-09-2013, 05:46 PM
A video camera would also be nice, unless of course your digital camera takes good video's as well.

Fred1
07-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Paper towels.. lots of em! BABY WHIPES!!!!! Come on guys!!!!!!

BCBRAD
07-09-2013, 05:54 PM
don't see the uhaul trailer! Lol!

bingo.........

longstonec
07-09-2013, 06:00 PM

... any of the "glens" really.

I see it says beer.... but it does not say Lucky beer.

Cordless sawzall. ooor use a japanese style folding hand saw. i.e. silke gomboy. with a fine blade it zips through bone no problem. no mess. no batteries.

Stanfeild...

As for "food" make a day to day menu, and figure out exactly what you will need/can pre-make i.e.: batch of saurekraut should be started a month before you go...

more then one pot and pan.

And Handi wipes.

Are you putting all of this stuff in jeep? maybe a second jeep.

C

landphil
07-09-2013, 06:18 PM
I'd add:

long skinny zip ties

hoist for hanging meat, unless you you plan to pull with your Heep and the pulley you listed, in which case, some nylon rope, unless you have a winch.

A 4' length of tin foil.

ziplock sandwich bags

I'd skip the powered saw and genny for quartering, its pretty easy to manage with a good knife or two and a manual saw.

You didn't give much details about your trailer, but are a 3 guys and all this gear as well as moose on return trip supposed to fit and be within weight limits? Sounds like it might be a streach, depending on your trailer.

BearStump
07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
A couple of big spikes will make it easier to hang your game pole.

noahs ark
07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
X2 for the baby wipes!!!
After pushing through the bush all day your arse and buddies will thank you!
Helps with the swass...

kodimack
07-09-2013, 07:57 PM
picture of Moose for refrance

sparkes3
07-09-2013, 09:00 PM
MORE ROPE and when you think its enough get twice as much and a tirfor sure comes in handy .

SingleShot
07-09-2013, 09:01 PM
A big knife and fork for that oh so good moose heart. Take a roll of duct tape to fix just about anything and a couple of mouse traps for in the tent.

wlbc
07-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Some good calls already, I'll offer my two bits.

I'd second the Whitetail tag, they are really moving in around here.

In my experience a couple of sharp knives and a bone saw are all one needs. If I am hunting with a quad or a truck nearby a sawzall works very well. Not sure about a chainsaw for quartering a moose, too many bone chips.

Not sure I'd bother with a shotgun and 120 rounds for it. I find a serious moose hunt does not leave time to go swanning about for game birds. Same for fishing gear.

I would like to hear more about the vanilla extract though, never heard of it used for that before.

What part of region 5 is your draw for?

Moose Guide
07-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Learn the gutless metheod of moose dismembering and you can leave the bone saw, electric chainsaw and sawzall at home! Take a chainsaw for knocking off the antlers and making firewood! I see a "call" on the list but the best call you can get is your voice and hands, throw the other crap away but do bring a skapula if hunting in the rut!

Moose Guide
07-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Buy a good frame pack and you can get your moose out in about 6 loads.

landphil
07-09-2013, 10:10 PM
a couple of mouse traps for in the tent.

Good one! Last year the mice were in everything in our tent, tough to kill with a BB pistol without putting holes in the thermarest. Don't ask.

The Hermit
07-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Go to Costco and buy an inexpensive winch that will plug into your receiver... best investment eva! Also, a come-a-long to haul your moose up out of the lake or your truck out of the mud! A canoe and paddles.

Wackman
07-09-2013, 10:44 PM
You are going to need a lot of "Gold bond"!!!
Just ask Noah....

Moe.JKU
07-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys some good advice. After talking it threw with my hunting partners. And going through the list of things we will be updating the list. We will be hauling a 6x10 or 6x12 trailer so we shouldn't need a extra jeep. If so we will rent a truck up there for the day and drive it back.The pulleys are for a hoist its a little system my friend fabricated.
Hermit i have a 10000lb winch on my jeep or that would be a must.

Remove: generator, electric chainsaw.
Add: Whitetail tag, more pots and pans, more rope, Add gass chainsaw, saw, baby wipes, a extra knife or two. still deciding on other stuff.

Oh an no lucky beer, going to support our sponser and pick up 90 or so bone beers.

Moe.JKU
07-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Some good calls already, I'll offer my two bits.

I'd second the Whitetail tag, they are really moving in around here.

In my experience a couple of sharp knives and a bone saw are all one needs. If I am hunting with a quad or a truck nearby a sawzall works very well. Not sure about a chainsaw for quartering a moose, too many bone chips.

Not sure I'd bother with a shotgun and 120 rounds for it. I find a serious moose hunt does not leave time to go swanning about for game birds. Same for fishing gear.

I would like to hear more about the vanilla extract though, never heard of it used for that before.

What part of region 5 is your draw for?
Ok so when i was living in the swamp in the south for four years i had a crazy time trying to keep noseems, mosquitoes, and other things they have down there off me. I would use deep woods and it would only seem to be worse. There was two things that i found worked good two dabs of vanilla extract on my neck. Or there was this muscle rub stuff, can't remember the name ill see if i can find it. It was suggested by the locals down there, and it worked great. Ive tried it up here and it works good for me better than off deep woods., i don't know the logic behind it or science it just works.

And we are Region 5-12b, We have never been there before, getting a little advice from someone that was up there a couple years ago other than that, going somewhat blind, and using all our knowledge to locate the animals. Any advice is appreciated, but I didn't want to start one of those threads.

Blair
07-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Don't need bug spray in reg five in Oct.

pmj
07-09-2013, 11:24 PM
A large steel bucket that always sits next to the fire on a flat rock. Handy for washing.
Tools and directions to adjust the carburetor on the chain saw. If you are at sea level when you set you will need to adjust it when you are several thousand feet above sea level in Region 5.
I prefer some thicker rope for tying to quarters for dragging them out. Easier on the hands. Also use it to tie the legs to nearby trees to open up the cavity when gutting.
We quater the moose in the field with 2 good knives and a sharpening stone. One is a small knife for reaching in the cavity for cutting the organs away from the cavity. One will be used last for cutting around the ass.
Leaving the fur on helps with the dragging/packing to keep the meat clean. Then skin out the quaters when they are hanging at camp. Use the bucket from above to throw water on the ribs to wash them clean before the blood dries on them.

The Hermit
07-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Oh forgot... the Havalon knives are great but I would also take along a good sturdy knife for prying knuckles, shaving tinder etc. Think Fallkniven F1 or equivalent.

GotaGun
07-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Double up on socks, I always wear two pairs , (emergency TP )

David
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Just to add to what other people said:
You're "I've killed my Moose now need to get it to camp and cut-up" list seems a bit weak. I always bring a gallon of vinegar just in case I nick the intestines or get crap somewhere (only had to use it once thank god).

I would also add some "do-everything" items: i.e. 5 gallon pails, I see no tarps on the list, etc.

If you have a generator, bring a fan to aid in drying stuff out if you get wet.

Brings supplies for the trailer - depending on how rough the roads are - axle grease, cover for bearings, etc.

Moe.JKU
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
We were planing on doing most of cutting of the animal on the spot. We will have 3 people with frame packs, so we will be able to get it to a vehicle access spot and on the trailer fairly easy. we dont want to do it near our site anyways for bears, flies, and other critters.
Tarps are second on the list.
Some buckets would be good though.
Some of these items are individual items and some are group items. On my excel document they are different colors but the file is invalid or something.

Citori54
07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
How could I have forgotten the baby wipes!!!!!If you forget to bring mouse traps we found that grinding up a few Tylenol 3's and putting on a plate works......doesn't necessarily kill em but it slows them down enough to catch em.

Moe.JKU
07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
How could I have forgotten the baby wipes!!!!!If you forget to bring mouse traps we found that grinding up a few Tylenol 3's and putting on a plate works......doesn't necessarily kill em but it slows them down enough to catch em.
Are the mice that bad up there that we need to worry about it.

blackwater moose
07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
I have tried using to very good success, x-acto knives with the disposable or breakaway blades for skinning and gutting. they are always sharp

rides bike to work
07-10-2013, 12:30 PM
your list looks good to me. on our reg 5 moose hunt we were camped right in prime moose habitat and were very quite in the evening no fire just dinner and a drink a couple loud cow calls and straight to bed up in the dark and start walking we saw all our moose over a dozen within 2 km of our camp all at first and last light .got our bull 400 yards from camp.

DANOSON
07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
use a 5 gal bucket with a wire through the top inch with a flapper in the middle with peanut butter build a ramp up and put about 2" of water in the pail. Mouse runs up ramp walks out on wire steps on flapper full of peanut butter flapper flips and mouse ends up swimming until dead. ( The Chilcotin Mouse Trap ) works like a charm.

rcar
07-10-2013, 01:26 PM

If you don't already have the chainsaw or if the one you have has ever had anything but veg. oil for the chain, consider an 18V cordless recip. saw. That way you can easily bring it into the bush without hauling the generator, cord etc.

Sofa King
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Good one! Last year the mice were in everything in our tent, tough to kill with a BB pistol without putting holes in the thermarest. Don't ask.

sounds like you already have holes in the tent.
how are all the mice getting in there?

I've slept in plenty of tents, but never, ever had a mouse get in one.
they did get into the trailer though.
it seemed like they were getting in through the oven somehow.

landphil
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
sounds like you already have holes in the tent.
how are all the mice getting in there?

I've slept in plenty of tents, but never, ever had a mouse get in one.
they did get into the trailer though.
it seemed like they were getting in through the oven somehow.

This was a redneck wall tent of sorts - a "portable garage" type structure with a heavy tarp for a floor, and a tarp lean-to out front, so plenty of ways for rodents to enter. We tried the pail trap idea, but weren't sucessfull with the materials at hand, thus the BB pistol was employed. For the record, I wasn't the shooter when the thermarest was punctured, nor was it my thermarest. That was the first year out of three that we'd had an issue, but a couple traps are sure to make it into this years gear pile.

Sofa King
07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
it was maddening with the lil buggers in the trailer.
and they seemed to wait just that long after you went to bed.
right as you were dozing off, then they'd be rustling through shit.

BRvalley
07-10-2013, 04:30 PM
On my excel document they are different colors but the file is invalid or something.

awesome! here I thought I was the only one who used excel for fishing and hunting lists lol

only thing I would add is latex gloves and those cheap but warm wool gloves, a few pairs to dispose of if you are field dressing in cold weather...I quartered my moose solo on Oct 22 and it was -23 to -27 that day, shot him at last light and I was thawing my hands in warm blood every 10 mins in the dark....I'm keeping my hands dry and warm this year

I also made a homemade meat hook, again, ice cold fingers and grabbing slippery quarters is hard

good list you got going

Moe.JKU
07-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks, its my first list i've actually made, since ive only been on a 2 hunts other than ducks/geese.
I think i have latex gloves on there. Ill have an updated list by this weekend. two jobs and university is tough to find time for all this.
I hope its not that cold up there during the time we are there. Is Oct 4 -14 usually snow for that area up there. I would imagine its a possibility, thinking more rain than anything.

landphil
07-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Depending on where in Reg 5, its a fairly safe bet that you wont have a lot of snow to deal with in the first half of the month, unless you are looking at the more extreme altitudes, but you might get a few skiffs in the morning that melt though the day. That said, I don't recall if your list included a shovel, but if it didn't, I'd add one. I carry a flat, square nose steel shovel that is a bit more multi-purpose than a spade or a snow shovel. Tire chains for the jeep too if you have.

Moe.JKU
07-10-2013, 10:31 PM
I think its on there i was almost thinking about throwing in a little spare as well. Its surprising what you can get yourself into. But tire chains i didnt think of, i'm getting new tires as well so ill pick them up for the bigger size.
Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

The Dawg
07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Guess what I'm gonna say to bring :)

adriaticum
07-10-2013, 11:36 PM

It's on his list.

adriaticum
07-10-2013, 11:38 PM
This should be made sticky so it can be easily found.

The Dawg
07-10-2013, 11:43 PM
It's on his list.

Then my work here is done....

Moe.JKU
07-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Gold Bond.
They should almost give you a free supply for endorsing their products.

moosinaround
07-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Gold Bond.
They should almost give you a free supply for endorsing their products.
A site sponsor????

Moe.JKU
07-11-2013, 08:39 AM
No just for the guys that are always talking about it, promoting their products, and telling everyone they need it.

Glenny
07-11-2013, 08:51 AM
"Just the bare essentials"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXJ7dDtjj4

moosecamp
07-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Then my work here is done....

Just one more thing an instructional video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scWTTtm_FFg

The Dawg
07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
He's a rookie.

Green bottle firing squad to the beans is the only way

604redneck
07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
First thing is trade the Red for Black. We used a gen-set for years for lights etc., today its alot better to use candles and a coleman lamp with stick screwed into a 20lb bottle ( no noise). A gas powered chainsaw of good quality ( Stihl,Husky etc, no bargan brand shit, nothing but misery, and definitely not Homelite). Do not use a chainsaw of any sort to 'process' meat. Bone chips and otherwise a complete mess. For cutting bone we use a carpenters saw, and always carry a Buck sawbuck in the pack for field work it has a bone side and a wood side, they are cheap, easy to pack and to use. May want to take some cheese cloth ( lots of it to wrap quarters up in) cheaper and more flexible in use than game bags. Other than that you got it covered. Always try to reduce your 'shit' as it makes life easier when out doing it.Why not bone the thing out on the spot? 3 guys-2 with knives and 1 holding quarters up/sharpening knives/bagging meat unless you are doing bone in roasts/steaks there would be zero reason to move the moose from where it drops(unless it drops in the water).

604redneck
07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
rifle, ammo, knife, liquor... that is all
Why doesnt this site have a like button yet?

Moe.JKU
07-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Why not bone the thing out on the spot? 3 guys-2 with knives and 1 holding quarters up/sharpening knives/bagging meat unless you are doing bone in roasts/steaks there would be zero reason to move the moose from where it drops(unless it drops in the water).
The plan is to bone it where it flops. We actually are only bringing knives and a saw maybe now, No electric saw or anything like that. Got to much stuff as is, we need lots of room for 3 or 4 critters on the way back.

Moe.JKU
07-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Ok so i have been super busy lately. running to hospitals and back. Fishing trips and work. But i have finally made some new additions to the list and as promised i will post it back up.

Biggest change we are taking a dodge 3500 diesel now with a bigger trailer. and a polaris razor to help get the meat out. With the addition of one new person.
But here is the updated list, again any comments appreciated.

Camping Equipment

Hunting Equipment

Clothes

General Equipment

Shelter

rifle 30-06

Jacket

Back Roads mapbook

Tarp

Moose tag

pants

digital camera

axe

2 MD/1WT

Rain jacket

chairs

sleeping pad

black bear tag

Rain pants

Johnnie walker red

sleeping bag

caribou tag

Waders

beer

chainsaw

shotgun 12g

base layer x2

polaris razor

blankets

30 180gr

middle layer x2

ladder

200ft paracord

10 12g slugs/000 buck

2 under armour hoodies

towstrap

shovel

50 12g 2 3/4 #8

toque

garbage bags

propane

50 12g 3 1/2 #2

blaze orange hat

survival kit

bear spray

fixed blad knife

socks x10

batteries

water jugs

sharpening stone

underwear x10

radios

stove

bone saw

neoprene gloves

toilet paper

pillows

packing bag

boots

snacks

pulleys

8 game bags

camp shoes

sunscreen

2x 5gal gerry cans

Binos

towels

flashlight

toothbrush/toothpaste

GPS

Meat hooks

medication

headlamp

baby wipes

cooking utensils

Rangfinder

goldbond

coolers x2

latex gloves

smokes

foldup table

compass

lighters

2 pots

survey tape

multi tool

2pans

cheese cloth

vanilla extract(bug spray)

buckets

water bottle

food

generator

vinegar/salt

Tool bag

water tablets

Spare tires

small bbq

two-feet
09-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Good list! Lets bring it back for this season.

Moe.JKU
09-05-2014, 02:36 PM
It worked out well, last year for me got my first animal in my hunting career a moose is not a bad way to start.
There is some things on there I wouldn't bring now that i have learnt what is needed and what isn't at camp. My elk hunting gear list is 1/4 the size for 9 days.

boxhitch
09-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Good start for a list

How are you going to transport meat ? de-boned ? add a dozen cotton pillow cases , smaller bundles work best. And the plastic bins or freezer to keep them in ,two coolers won't cut it.

And where is the rope ? I like the hollow-braid 5/16 that goes on sale a Crappy Tire , holds a knot better than twisted rope. You can never have too much , always have a new bundle 50 ' in the day pack. Easier to use than paracord.

Pulleys ? for rope or cable ?

And depending on what you have for a camp , you could add twine , nails , spikes and poly for making stuff . Take a toilet seat for a luxury addition to the grunt pole. Ladder may be awkward to transport , but you can build one to suit when/if needed.

smeegle
09-06-2014, 08:42 AM
great list! I found that in terms of butchering up the animal or cutting into quarters I take a battery powered reciprocating saw with a meat blade. It works much more efficeiently with cleaner cuts of the animal as the fat and bone doesn't get caught up in the chain saw. Just my 2 cents

BearStump
09-06-2014, 03:58 PM
yes the sawzall works great. the ladder is a must too. the meat pole has to be quite high if you plan on hanging a moose whole.

I think that pole was about 13 feet up and that was 'just' high enough for a small moose.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/BearStumper/PB131058.jpg (http://s629.photobucket.com/user/BearStumper/media/PB131058.jpg.html)

tyler-brown
09-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Fishing license