PDA

View Full Version : 402 A ELk Draw

slyfox
07-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Got lucky this year with an cow elk draw in reg 402 am going hunting in the area for whitetail bucks and six point bulls in oct already so this is a bonus if I don't find a legal bull the problem is that I hunt the area in 402 that it is not open for the draw just looking for some help and info on the area if its a lot of crown or private land Thanks SLYFOX.

Mikey Rafiki
07-09-2013, 04:57 AM
95% crown land other than some strips along the highway. Tons of roads and access between the highway and kooc which is good and bad. They should be getting herded up and don't be surprised to see a big bull down in the flats come October.

hunter1947
07-09-2013, 04:57 AM
I have not hunted the area you got picked for but if me I would look and see if there are any roads closed ?? google earth would be my buddy finding areas to hunt as for area maps,,I would say that there are some decent elk hunting in this area whether you take a 6 point bull or a cow elk ,,good luck finding out information for your area..

GreatWhitePopogeebo
07-10-2013, 03:51 PM
I've seen elk up in that area right on highway. I always wondered if there were some that hang out right by river kootenay at bottom anybody know, would not want to walk all that way for nothing.:) anyways good luck.

Mikey Rafiki
07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
I've seen elk up in that area right on highway. I always wondered if there were some that hang out right by river kootenay at bottom anybody know, would not want to walk all that way for nothing.:) anyways good luck.

Wouldnt be much on the river bottom in that zone since its lake koocanusa all summer and has no cover. I know there are some resident elk that hang out in the river bottom once you get above Wardner. She can get thick in there though.

slyfox
07-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys don't think Wardner is in my area anyhow.

Islandeer
07-11-2013, 10:42 AM
There are elk off of the Dore rd going towards Kookanusa,saw them there early november last season. Also they hang in a couple other spots,pm me.

Everett
07-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Cross the Elk bridge turn left into forest shoot Elk do it the last day of October that's about the easiest hunt there is.