Horse, hike or plane are the only way into Coldfish

BiG Boar
07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Horse, hike or plane are the only way into Coldfish

not true. you could snowmobile too.

scttcanuck
07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks.

Anybody have an idea of the condition of the McEwan Creek trailhead in terms of truck access?

one-shot-wonder
07-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I believe the Mc Ewan trailhead is no longer accessible by truck. When we were there a couple years ago the Klappan river blew up and washed out the rail grade accessing the park. We repaired the road enough to make it passible, but I understand the following spring freshet blew it out once again. From what I hear it was not repaired again. The washout area was relatively close to the McEwan trailhead so I imagine one can hike easily along the grade from the washout up to the trailhead. I dont have the exactly distance but figure its no more then a few kilometers to the stat of McEwan trail.

Best of luck, do your homework and you will be rewarded!

scuba
07-08-2013, 06:20 PM
you can get to McEwan trailhead with a vehicle, washout is after the trailhead parking lot.

BromBones
07-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Takes 2 days at a decent pace to walk to Coldfish, and a day to rest your bones at the camp :)

Good trail though. Little soggy here and there, in a wet season.

.330 Dakota
07-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I was there about 3 weeks ago,,you can drive a truck to the McEwan trailhead,,did it...the Klappan is badly washed out about 300 yards past the trailhead turnoff. We walked in the McEwan trail for about an hour just for fun,,decent trail for walking or horses,,you couldnt put a quad in there even if it was legal. The washout on the Klappan should be fine by fall, as the water was really high when we were there.

bigneily
07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Isn't Coldfish in Spatsizi park ? Therefore no motorized access ? But i'm probably wrong again.

one-shot-wonder
07-08-2013, 10:28 PM
you can get to McEwan trailhead with a vehicle, washout is after the trailhead parking lot.
Good to know.... I recommend taking horses!

07-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Isn't Coldfish in Spatsizi park ? Therefore no motorized access ? But i'm probably wrong again.

Absolutely correct

digger dogger
07-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Make sure you know where the ecological reserve is..
And bring cash, for the cabins...

Caribou_lou
07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
not true. you could snowmobile too.

I could be wrong but I believe snowmobiling isn't permitted in the park boundaries.

kitnayakwa77
07-11-2013, 08:19 PM
I could be wrong but I believe snowmobiling isn't permitted in the park boundaries.

You're not wrong. Snowmobiling is not permitted within the boundaries of Spatsizi.

mikek
07-12-2013, 02:29 PM
what is the cost of the cabins ?

BromBones
07-12-2013, 03:49 PM
what is the cost of the cabins ?

$20 per night. First come, first serve

.330 Dakota
07-12-2013, 05:20 PM
$20 per night. First come, first serve

How does one actually pay? Is there someone there?

digger dogger
07-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Depends on the time of year, if the ranger is there, you pay him.
If nobody is there to collect, there is envolopes you mail in to the gov.. Address is on the envolope.
And $20 per night is correct..http://i43.tinypic.com/qx7720.jpg

BromBones
07-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Depends on the time of year, if the ranger is there, you pay him.
If nobody is there to collect, there is envolopes you mail in to the gov.. Address is on the envolope.
And $20 per night is correct..

Pay in the cookhouse, there is a steel deposit box for the cabin rental $$. Envelopes there for you, put down your info and how many nights, seal your cash in the envelope and drop in the box. There will usually be park hosts there through the end of September who will show you how to pay.

digger dogger
07-12-2013, 07:39 PM
The envolopes are in the cookhouse, yes.
But they took out the lock box, I,m not sure why??

BromBones
07-12-2013, 08:56 PM
The envolopes are in the cookhouse, yes.
But they took out the lock box, I,m not sure why??

That's odd. Just last year they changed it?

rides bike to work
07-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Is there hood hunting in the area?

digger dogger
07-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Maybe it's taken out during the winter,(like i said i dunno why) I was there spring before last.
The note where the envolopes were, said to mail in the fee?

bull buck
07-12-2013, 11:07 PM
I was at coldfish last year, awesome place had a great time! Theres animals there if you know where to look at the right time of year, covered 100km on trails in there in 6 days from what the gps said. we met about 14 people over those 6 days including the hosts. One guy flew in and landed on the abandoned runway with wheeled aircraft so thats an option too I guess. The guys in there on horses who we ended up knowing through friends and being from the same hometown(small world)took two days to get in there. We ended up with a nice 11 year old ram, had draws for sheep caribou and goat. seemed to be lots of guide action in there with threir place being on bug lake and a string of horses going further in. This year I got a sheep draw for the shulaps and would trade more info for some intel on that area just PM me. I will post some pics when I figure out how.

bcmulie
07-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Bull buck,

this is dated info, but there used to be a road near the start of the Yalakom road that would take you right up into the alpine at the south end of the shulaps, and there was a good horse trail that you could access from the Marshall Road to come up the west side of the shulaps.

Bcmulie