PDA

View Full Version : google earth question

kodeman
07-08-2013, 07:13 AM
I was doing some research for upcoming moose hunt this fall and when using google earth to look at areas that some of the imagery is quite old. Is there a way to get up to date information. I am just using the free version, is there a better version that you guys use. Thanks

GotaGun
07-08-2013, 07:27 AM
I beleive thats what u get for "free" , there is a paid version I believe that is more updated, but havn't tried.

brian
07-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Google gets it satellite data from a variety of sources (like NASA) and they use the most up to date information they can get. The free version and paid version all use the same sat data. You can check to see if a different service like a bing map search has a more up to date images, but I would find it unlikely.

G.A.
07-08-2013, 07:37 AM
more you zoom in the older the images get, paid version just lets you do more on same mapping

Slinky Pickle
07-08-2013, 08:08 AM
With Google Earth, what you see is what you get, free or paid. However, I have seen some slight differences in the data used by Bing and Google. In some cases I have seen newer data being used by Bing.

For example, look at these two versions of the same location.

Bing
http://binged.it/10IQXVn

Google
https://maps.google.ca/?ll=50.073227,-120.019541&spn=0.046824,0.132093&t=h&z=14

Maybe see if Bing give you any better imagery of your area.

Gun Dog
07-08-2013, 08:33 AM
If you notice the copyright notice at the bottom a lot of the BC images come from the BC government so I guess it's whatever is negotiated and how often a flyover gets done. Another source of aerial images is iMpBC (http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfx/imf.jsp?site=imapbc). An excellent source of data and there's an image layer you can turn on.

sawmill
07-08-2013, 08:48 AM
I had no idea that there was Google street view of my house here.I got right into my back yard and was checking out my Rhino.That`s kinda scary.

G.A.
07-08-2013, 09:04 AM
ya that street view has been out for years. lots hated it when it came out. they seem to be able to grey out certain gov areas so we cant see anything but they dont seem to know to grey out our windows in our homes. and thats just with cheep satalites, imagine what the gov can see with their higher tech ones. can read the french side of or mornings cereal box...lol

i do like the street vie or mapping trais before i leave the house. can take a virtual walk/ride along your route to get a feel for elevation change if hiking..or biking. i do alot of bike hunts so it hep me for that to decide if trail is to much or not

Blair
07-08-2013, 09:08 AM
ya that street view has been out for years. lots hated it when it came out. they seem to be able to grey out certain gov areas so we cant see anything but they dont seem to know to grey out our windows in our homes. and thats just with cheep satalites, imagine what the gov can see with their higher tech ones. can read the french side of or mornings cereal box...lol

i do like the street vie or mapping trais before i leave the house. can take a virtual walk/ride along your route to get a feel for elevation change if hiking..or biking. i do alot of bike hunts so it hep me for that to decide if trail is to much or not

Street view images are just what the name implies - taken from the street - with a truck-mounted camera.

G.A.
07-08-2013, 09:12 AM
ya i know, i didnt say how they were taken or anything about that, not following

geoskier
07-08-2013, 09:13 AM
My buddy chased around the google team on Blackcomb one day. He shows up on several runs now!

skibum
07-08-2013, 09:33 AM
I go back and forth between flash earth and google earth. Goolge has better tools, but not all the maps are as up to date as flash - just depends where you are looking as to which one has the most up to date maps

http://www.flashearth.com/

adriaticum
07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I go back and forth between flash earth and google earth. Goolge has better tools, but not all the maps are as up to date as flash - just depends where you are looking as to which one has the most up to date maps

http://www.flashearth.com/

Thanks, I didn't know about this one.
Looks a little confused in an area I looked at.
It's using bing maps and yahoo maps.
But it's nice to have an alternative.

squamishhunter
07-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I find this site helpful for route planning; http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfows13/imf.jsp?site=idt

kodeman
07-08-2013, 12:06 PM
thank you, very helpful info

Steelpulse
07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I am pretty sure you can email or call google up and you can request a higher resolution photographs of a certain area and have the map sent to you, if not from google you can definitely find a mapping company that will do this for you as long as they have the image you can have it ordered how you want.

sawmill
07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
I did notice that my trucks licsense plate was blurred out in my driveway but my garage door was open and you can see right in there.Don`t much care for that.

keoke
07-08-2013, 03:26 PM
I find google maps has more up to date maps than google earth.

monasheemountainman
07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I had no idea that there was Google street view of my house here.I got right into my back yard and was checking out my Rhino.That`s kinda scary.
ya that's a good lookin machine!

ruger#1
07-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I did notice that my trucks licsense plate was blurred out in my driveway but my garage door was open and you can see right in there.Don`t much care for that.
What are all those sex toys doing in there? Are you starting up shop?

Davey Crockett
07-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I have noticed that sometimes the newer image is poorer quality than the old. You can switch between historic images by clicking on the clock-looking thing inthe tool bar and sliding the date. There are tick marks showing images dates. Worth a try.

mungojeerie
07-08-2013, 07:58 PM
While your all talking about G.E.....

In case any of you do not already have this:

As posted by CAC on a previous thread here is a map overlay with the wildlife management units on it... a very helpful addition :)

Hello,

I have refined the file. It now scrolls smoothly and as lmw noted it had popups with every click(those are gone). As well I have uploaded it on Google Docs for those that had torrent issues.

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0ASMww1Ddr0eW1mQXc0QlJsY2s

Maybe Slinky Pickle could host the file as well?

Cheers,

Chris

brian
07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
To clear up some misconceptions. Google Earth and Google maps uses the exact same data, which they get from a variety of sources.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/22040?hl=en

more you zoom in the older the images get, paid version just lets you do more on same mapping Not really, they use the exact same data, the paid version just has different functions turned on how the user can manipulate and save the data.

G.A.
07-09-2013, 08:23 AM
funny i see the dates change as i zoom in on mine. is why i assume its taken on diff dates....im reffering to reg free google earth, bottom left conrer shows dates change as you zoon in. older is close and newest is furthest out images for me

sawmill
07-09-2013, 08:34 AM
What are all those sex toys doing in there? Are you starting up shop?

Yeah,it`s gonna be a daycare for lonely wives.I`ll feed them lunch and there will be...um....activities.Keep `em out of trouble till the husband gets home.

hare_assassin
07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
funny i see the dates change as i zoom in on mine. is why i assume its taken on diff dates....im reffering to reg free google earth, bottom left conrer shows dates change as you zoon in. older is close and newest is furthest out images for me

The more you zoom in, the more detailed the imaging data that is required. The extreme detailed source imaging data cannot be collected by the satellites and processed by the providers nearly as quickly (as the less detailed image data) and thus it is refreshed much less often than other zoom levels. They are continually working on updating it, but still much of the detailed data is up to a decade old. You will also see that the source is often different from area to area, and some sources refresh the data more often than others.

It is what it is. :)

G.A.
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM
hadnt noticed imagry sources. to be honest google earth is the worst for me in the bush. plain old google maps loads an shows better images for me, seems as soon as i try and zoom even slightly its goes ll grey like a cloud is over the image. i dont have that in basic maps

hare_assassin
07-09-2013, 10:53 AM
hadnt noticed imagry sources. to be honest google earth is the worst for me in the bush. plain old google maps loads an shows better images for me, seems as soon as i try and zoom even slightly its goes ll grey like a cloud is over the image. i dont have that in basic maps

Go into options in Google Earth and increase the detail and/or turn off image compression. It'll clear right up and look identical to google maps.

More specifically, go to "Options" and on the "3D View" tab go to the "Texture Colours" area and clear the checkbox next to "Compress", then go to the "Terrain" area and check the box next to "Use high quality terrain". You can also set Anisotropic filtering to "High".

G.A.
07-09-2013, 11:07 AM
ive never realy played with any settings. not sure i even have all them on the iphone in the bush. works fine at home or with good sat service.