PDA

View Full Version : First Duck call

Matthew_1977
07-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Looking to buy my first duck call. Any suggestions on what to get? Really looking to get involved this season. Any pointers on how to break into the culture would be great too.

Thanks!

Matt

Fella
07-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Contact Blacktail on this site. I bought my first call from him and it works great. My advice to break into the culture is to just go out and do it. There are some waterfowlers on this site who know a lot about the subject so re-reading the threads they've posted is a great start.

Matthew_1977
07-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Problem Fella is I don't know anyone who waterfowls... All my buddies go for big game. Going on a great Bison hunt in October but would love to get out with the ducks. I have been once and had the most fun I've had hunting. Problem is finding land to hunt on of course... I will message Blacktail for sure... he makes his own calls?

edgy
07-08-2013, 06:31 AM
I am also about to buy my first duck call, I will be picking up one of Blacktail's calls, i don't know where you are located , but Stillwater Sports in Ladner carries his calls, so that's where I will be getting mine, just gotta get out to Ladner,lol. This will be my first season actually duck hunting, although I was a great retriever last season :) I have a few fields lined up out in the chilliwack area, I could probably get you out with me if it works out.

Foxton Gundogs
07-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Yep, contact Blacktail, on this site PM him your info he will suggest a call for you, I have 3 of his calls and after over 50 yrs of water fowling I cant say I've blown a better call.

adriaticum
07-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Duck Commander has to be the best ;)

FirePower
07-08-2013, 09:52 AM
For a good across the counter call I feel the Buck Gardner line are top drawer. Absolutely the best dollar value out there.

Displaced Nova Scotian
07-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I got into water fowl last year and it is certainly an amazing hunting experience! That feeling you get, when the ducks have their feet out and back peddling in front of you as they go to touch down in the decoys is wild.

My second call I purchased was from Blacktail, seriously a piece of art, as everyone on here had mentioned. The call worked beautifully and looked great to boot. Unfortunately I lost it in the marsh but will be making a replacement order soon.

Once you start you can't stop...

2tins
07-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Looking to buy my first duck call. Any suggestions on what to get? Really looking to get involved this season. Any pointers on how to break into the culture would be great too.

Thanks!

Matt
Get one that Si built. Hey.

warnniklz
07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Duck Commander has to be the best ;)

I have a triple threat on order. Don't know anyone that's used them... but at $75 or whatever, it has to be half decent.

On that note -
My go to call is what I believe to be a faulk's champion duck call. I'm not too entirely sure, the medallion is gone. I know it's a wooden single reed. My dad gave it to me and gramps gave it to him.

I haven't tried blacktails calls... yet. I'll get me one, one day.

Trailmaster
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I have a triple threat on order. Don't know anyone that's used them... but at $75 or whatever, it has to be half decent.

On that note -
My go to call is what I believe to be a faulk's champion duck call. I'm not too entirely sure, the medallion is gone. I know it's a wooden single reed. My dad gave it to me and gramps gave it to him.

I haven't tried blacktails calls... yet. I'll get me one, one day.

I use a triple threat I like it seems to get them in.

Blacktail
07-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Mathew PM me your phone number and we can talk

pnbrock
07-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Lynch mob makes a great duck call aswell. Buck Gardner is good aswell and customer service is awesome. I lost the guts to my call in field called them and sent one out right away no charge.

Nickchee
07-15-2013, 12:05 PM
start with a Faulks call and practice.
I find out here in BC I use a Primos Whistle call as well

BiG Boar
07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I use a daisey cutter made by RNT
I also have a cocobolo RNT short barrel
those are both single reed
I also have a double reed zink

the question is weather it's better to start on a single or a double reed.
My suggestion is a double.

Dutch
07-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Jesus Big Boar you steal my lanyard . I have the exact same three and a duck commander whistle on the side ,must be good calls LOL

Ride Red
07-17-2013, 09:27 PM
I bought an OLT 66 about 25 years ago and it still brings'em down.

Foxton Gundogs
07-18-2013, 06:52 AM
I use a daisey cutter made by RNT
I also have a cocobolo RNT short barrel
those are both single reed
I also have a double reed zink

the question is weather it's better to start on a single or a double reed.
My suggestion is a double.

A loaded question really, I think that a double reed call is much easier to get the raspy tones from and requires less "voice" so it would seem the natural choice for a rookie caller BUT that being said it also is more limited in range and when someone learns on a double reed they become adequate and are reluctant to step out of their comfort zone and try getting good with the more versatile but slightly harder to blow single reed. Start on a single, practise from now till opening day and you will become a much more versatile caller, if come opening day you are giving the "get outa town" notes lol instead of bringing them in you can always switch to a double reed BUT keep practising on the single. There arn't many who when given a few months to do some serious learning can't figure out a single reed call. JMO

Moe.JKU
07-18-2013, 07:33 AM
I just ordered my first single reed of blacktail. Planning on practicing while i'm sitting in rush hour everyday. I have used double before and it was limited. So for my second season i'm going single, as recomended

Foxton Gundogs
07-18-2013, 08:19 AM
I just ordered my first single reed of blacktail. Planning on practicing while i'm sitting in rush hour everyday. I have used double before and it was limited. So for my second season i'm going single, as recomended

You wont be sorry, Good hunting. Roy is an artist and makes a great call but remember it is still a wooden call, when you come in from a hunt dry it slooooowwwly and feed the wood every so often, I use good old cooking oil. this will prevent cracking.

lorneparker1
07-18-2013, 10:33 AM

I can do pretty much everything on a double I can on single other than big hails which I wouldn't use in a hunting scenario anyway. Why was the double you had limited>?

Moe.JKU
07-18-2013, 10:55 AM
I can do pretty much everything on a double I can on single other than big hails which I wouldn't use in a hunting scenario anyway. Why was the double you had limited>?
It could have just been because it was cheap, it was only a 10 dollar call, but it would be sketchy sometimes, in the sounds that could come out of it. Only really one call. I had some more experienced callers try and it would crack on them as well. Probably just a cheap/garbage call.

Moe.JKU
07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
You wont be sorry, Good hunting. Roy is an artist and makes a great call but remember it is still a wooden call, when you come in from a hunt dry it slooooowwwly and feed the wood every so often, I use good old cooking oil. this will prevent cracking.
Thank you for the tips, i was wondering what to treat it with to prevent cracking. And i've been told they are really nice, and his service and response time was great, answered all my questions.

pnbrock
07-18-2013, 06:10 PM
those were duck calls dutch ,i thought you were passing gas.:)

Dutch
07-29-2013, 09:18 AM
ever notice PN when you call the majority of birds come ass first....:)

Moe.JKU
07-29-2013, 09:27 AM
IF you still have not got your call. I will say i am very impressed with the call i got from blacktail. very good price and quality. I ended up with the single reed walnut duck call.

Kudu
07-29-2013, 11:57 AM
IF you still have not got your call. I will say i am very impressed with the call i got from blacktail. very good price and quality. I ended up with the single reed walnut duck call.

Great piece of kit that!

wingmaster
08-21-2013, 03:14 PM
FYI Cabelas has some sick deals on some calls right now, picked up a couple $70 calls for 15 bucks a piece for chrismas presents, might have to give them a test drive first and see if i fall in love with any (probably all) of them