PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Newbie Question - LEH versus General Regs

Redneck Rocket
07-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Long time fisherman, relatively new to hunting. I was born & raised in BC, got into hunting in the last couple of years I lived in Florida, and moved back here in March.

The regs here are a lot more complicated than the FL regs, so I'm looking for some confirmation that I'm interpreting them correctly. I live in the Okanagan, so in most of region 8, the regs say you can take for example, 4 point bucks, and spike-fork bulls. But I also read up on the LEH system which shows that there is a draw for region 8.

If I interpret things correctly, spike-fork bulls are open to anyone who holds a license and pays the 25 bucks for a Moose tag, within the specified dates. Is that correct? Then the LEH draw is for mature bulls, or antlerless deer?

Thanks for the help guys.

Hank Hunter
07-07-2013, 09:46 PM
You read it right.

r106
07-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Thats why they have two different synopsis. One for Hunting rules and general open season and a second for limited entry. So just get a regular hunting synopsis and giver

Thats the beauty of BC you can still hunt almost all species under a GOS just a bit more restrictive

HarryToolips
07-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi Guys,

Long time fisherman, relatively new to hunting. I was born & raised in BC, got into hunting in the last couple of years I lived in Florida, and moved back here in March.

The regs here are a lot more complicated than the FL regs, so I'm looking for some confirmation that I'm interpreting them correctly. I live in the Okanagan, so in most of region 8, the regs say you can take for example, 4 point bucks, and spike-fork bulls. But I also read up on the LEH system which shows that there is a draw for region 8.

If I interpret things correctly, spike-fork bulls are open to anyone who holds a license and pays the 25 bucks for a Moose tag, within the specified dates. Is that correct? Then the LEH draw is for mature bulls, or antlerless deer?

Thanks for the help guys.
Your right, as long as you have a hunting licence which you buy every year like a fishing licence valid Aprl 1 to Mar 31 every year, and buy species tags for whatever you desire, you can hunt those species within those dates/regions specified. The best thing you can do if you haven't already is actually take the CORE hunting course, don't just challenge the exam eh..and thoroughly read the regs, know them inside and out, ignorance is NOT an excuse in the courts!! And ya LEH (limited entry hunting) is a draw for anything that they allow a limited amount of hunting on for certain classes of animals that your not allowed to hunt under GOS (general open season).

Redneck Rocket
07-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the fast replies guys. I thought I had it read correctly but just making sure. As you say ignorance is no excuse so I wanted to double check. I have already taken a 2-day hunter safety course in Florida run by FWC which was really helpful for a new hunter. BC will recognize that in place of the CORE course (it was pretty comprehensive, included live fire of multiple firearms and bow.) I had to challenge the PAL course when I first came back because I brought my guns (Marlin XL7 270 & Benelli Nova 12ga) with me.

r106
07-07-2013, 10:37 PM
The other thing to look into is I believe you need to be back as a resident for 6 months before you can hunt??? Not totally sure though I thought I heard that before

Fella
07-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Make sure you read the synopsis really carefully. They can be confusing at times, and if you're ever unsure about something it doesn't hurt to re-read it.

Redneck Rocket
07-07-2013, 10:42 PM
The other thing to look into is I believe you need to be back as a resident for 6 months before you can hunt??? Not totally sure though I thought I heard that before

You need to be a resident for 6 months to buy a resident hunting license. I'm good to go from September 20th onwards so no worries there. In the meantime, I might pick up a non-resident citizen license for small game so I can bag a few hares.

Redneck Rocket
07-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Make sure you read the synopsis really carefully. They can be confusing at times, and if you're ever unsure about something it doesn't hurt to re-read it.

Great advice. Even when I'm certain on fishing regs, I often re-read just to be sure. In my region I know there are some opportunities for deer for 4 pointers, and then just for bucks. I know moose are spike-forks only. Probably won't find one but I see a lot of moose when I'm out fishing, and a fair bit of Moose sign, so at least I know what areas to look.

bccanadian
07-07-2013, 11:58 PM
If you have a smart phone, you might want to check out the app. "Hunt Buddy". It not only shows the different MU's but it also has a link to the up to date synopsis AND it shows what regs are in effect in the area that you are in based upon the built in GPS on the phone.

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A PRIVATELY WRITTEN APP. That being said, if there is an error or an omission, the onus is not on the app creator but upon the user, as far as the courts are concerned, if you hunt etc. when or where you aren't supposed to.

brian
07-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Also just make sure, 4 pointer is 4 points on at least one side not a 2x2, which could be a different way of counting points than where your from.

G.A.
07-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the fast replies guys. I thought I had it read correctly but just making sure. As you say ignorance is no excuse so I wanted to double check. I have already taken a 2-day hunter safety course in Florida run by FWC which was really helpful for a new hunter. BC will recognize that in place of the CORE course (it was pretty comprehensive, included live fire of multiple firearms and bow.) I had to challenge the PAL course when I first came back because I brought my guns (Marlin XL7 270 & Benelli Nova 12ga) with me.

your telling us you didnt have to do a course and they took the usa license and gave you a canadian license to hunt here?...realy> never heard them do that, you broght guns an had no permits acro a borer? then you did pal after being here?..realy?> how you get across a borer without permits...just curios. never herd them hand out license and allow this stuff so freely before. we have diff hunting res s not sure how thy allow no testing an hand out licenses that way

hare_assassin
07-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Also just make sure, 4 pointer is 4 points on at least one side not a 2x2, which could be a different way of counting points than where your from.

I know someone who figured this out after pulling the trigger. Not the ideal way to determine the rules.

hare_assassin
07-08-2013, 08:00 AM
your telling us you didnt have to do a course and they took the usa license and gave you a canadian license to hunt here?...realy> never heard them do that, you broght guns an had no permits acro a borer? then you did pal after being here?..realy?> how you get across a borer without permits...just curios. never herd them hand out license and allow this stuff so freely before. we have diff hunting res s not sure how thy allow no testing an hand out licenses that way

They do it all the time. Anyone who can provide proof of taking a hunter safety course anywhere in North America is exempt for the CORE requirement.

Typically, holding a valid hunting licence from anywhere in North America is enough proof that a hunter safety course was taken. Example; I took the course in Ontario and the only thing I needed to bring to get my BC licence was my valid Ontario licence (proof that I had taken the course, because they don't just give hunting licences away without a course).

hare_assassin
07-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Applicant’s Requirements

easy steps
Proof of residency
:
a person who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, whose only or primary residence is
in
BC
, and h
as been physically present in BC for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar
months or;
a person who is
not
a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, but whose only or primary residence is
in BC, and has been physically present in BC for the greater portion of each of the 12 calendar months before making
application.
must be 10 or over
Conser
vation and Outdoor Recreation Education

CORE graduation certificate or other proof of completion of a hunter
safety course in North America
Sign &
Mail

Ensure your application and all supporting documents are enclosed.

Foxton Gundogs
07-08-2013, 08:10 AM
They do it all the time. Anyone who can provide proof of taking a hunter safety course anywhere in North America is exempt for the CORE requirement.

Typically, holding a valid hunting licence from anywhere in North America is enough proof that a hunter safety course was taken. Example; I took the course in Ontario and the only thing I needed to bring to get my BC licence was my valid Ontario licence (proof that I had taken the course, because they don't just give hunting licences away without a course).

Exactly, I never took any courses, and buy Alberta licences all the time by simply producing my B.C. info to get my Win card/licence.

G.A.
07-08-2013, 08:22 AM

huh...never seen that read or info anywhere saying ta. how can they do that when w hv way diff regs...as above with how we count points to the way they do.

G.A.
07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
everyone is comparing canada to canada not to usa, i dont see anything in that read say its ok to use an american licesne and be given a cdn one in trade off. and not take any course

hare_assassin
07-08-2013, 08:27 AM
everyone is comparing canada to canada not to usa, i dont see anything in that read say its ok to use an american licesne and be given a cdn one in trade off. and not take any course

It specifically states on the BC Hunter Number application form "CORE graduation certificate or other proof of completion of a hunter
safety course in North America".

Last time I checked, North America included the USA.

hare_assassin
07-08-2013, 08:32 AM
... and yes, a hunter safety course is required in Florida before one is allowed to purchase a hunting licence:

http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education

Therefore, possession of a valid Florida hunting licence is proof of taking a hunter safety course in North America.

G.A.
07-08-2013, 09:07 AM
yaya,..i see it now. kinda scary a guy can come here and trade cards that easy and our reg are nothing alike..no often to the guy here at all. just could lead to alot of bad shots or illegal hunts with that system..typical of them though, they dont even require a verbal quiz or even read the cor book?, or regs ?..yikes

r106
07-08-2013, 09:25 AM
The idea of a Hunter safety course is for teaching Hunter safety. Each individual is required to know the rules by reading an up to date copy of the hunting synopsis.

Hillbros_96
07-08-2013, 10:32 AM
My Alberta hunting license was not enough last year to get a hunting license in BC last year after I moved here from Alberta. I was required to show my Hunter Education card, which was another issue as I was grandfathered in Alberta.

Why am I not surprised to see some inconsistency on how it is handled?

Redneck Rocket
07-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Couple of interesting questions raised. First off, I'm a Canadian citizen, born & raised in BC. I was just living in FL for a couple of years.

Pretty much anyone can bring non-restricted firearms into Canada as long as they don't throw up any flags at immigration (like a criminal record) on a temporary import permit. Basically, you fill out the forms at the border and they record the serial numbers on the guns and issue you a 60 day permit. Plenty of our American friends come into Canada all the time with their non-restricted firearms using this method. In my case, since I had not passed the PAL, I had to go and challenge the test to get my license (even though the hunter safety course in FL is WAY more comprehensive than the CORE course, includes live fire and covers everything in the PAL.) I did that successfully, and though there was about a week where the import permit had expired and my license had not showed up yet I was fine. I asked the RCMP about that and they said don't worry, we have it on record that your license has shipped so you'll be fine.

The Hunter Safety Course I took in Florida is recognized by all Canadian Provinces and US States, just like if you went to Florida they would accept your CORE and issue you a hunting license. As someone pointed out, the safety courses are about safety. It is your responsibility to know the regs for the region you're hunting in and know what you are shooting at. In Florida, there were plenty of times I didn't pull the trigger at waterfowl because I had not ID'd the bird.

r106
07-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Couple of interesting questions raised. First off, I'm a Canadian citizen, born & raised in BC. I was just living in FL for a couple of years.

Pretty much anyone can bring non-restricted firearms into Canada as long as they don't throw up any flags at immigration (like a criminal record) on a temporary import permit. Basically, you fill out the forms at the border and they record the serial numbers on the guns and issue you a 60 day permit. Plenty of our American friends come into Canada all the time with their non-restricted firearms using this method. In my case, since I had not passed the PAL, I had to go and challenge the test to get my license (even though the hunter safety course in FL is WAY more comprehensive than the CORE course, includes live fire and covers everything in the PAL.) I did that successfully, and though there was about a week where the import permit had expired and my license had not showed up yet I was fine. I asked the RCMP about that and they said don't worry, we have it on record that your license has shipped so you'll be fine.

The Hunter Safety Course I took in Florida is recognized by all Canadian Provinces and US States, just like if you went to Florida they would accept your CORE and issue you a hunting license. As someone pointed out, the safety courses are about safety. It is your responsibility to know the regs for the region you're hunting in and know what you are shooting at. In Florida, there were plenty of times I didn't pull the trigger at waterfowl because I had not ID'd the bird.

Sounds like you have a decent understanding of the regs wich is good to hear. I wish they did live fire in the CORE here

You need to be a resident for 6 months to buy a resident hunting license. I'm good to go from September 20th onwards so no worries there. In the meantime, I might pick up a non-resident citizen license for small game so I can bag a few hares.

If you going for deer and moose then that timing is good, even in time for some Elk hunting.

Redneck Rocket
07-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you have a decent understanding of the regs wich is good to hear. I wish they did live fire in the CORE here

If you going for deer and moose then that timing is good, even in time for some Elk hunting.

Yeah the live fire was really fun & helpful, especially to a newcomer to firearms. I wanted to learn proper safety protocol, not just 'what some guy says' is acceptable. We got to learn how to load & fire muzzleloaders, pump action shotgun, bolt action rifles and compound bow.

I'm definitely hoping to go for deer, elk & moose. I have some private land nearby that I have permission to hunt on that has a lot of deer pretty regularly, plus some quail. I have not seen any elk around here, but a lot of moose, although none with spike-forks just yet!!! Should be a good season I think.

I'm also hoping to get out on Skaha lake to hunt some ducks & geese. The regs booklet shows it being open for hunting for the most part, but no single-projectiles.

EvanG
07-08-2013, 10:19 PM
welcome back, if you can get passed the nay sayers, the bullshitters and the saints on here there some awesome ppl eager to help. enjoy the best hunting .... anywhere

Foxton Gundogs
07-08-2013, 10:32 PM
My Alberta hunting license was not enough last year to get a hunting license in BC last year after I moved here from Alberta. I was required to show my Hunter Education card, which was another issue as I was grandfathered in Alberta.

Why am I not surprised to see some inconsistency on how it is handled?

Your win card should have been enough as we had the grandfather clause here as well When the hunter #s first came out I was issued a # on the striength of my previous years license my X wife however who had never had one had to take the core course to obtain hers.

Hillbros_96
07-09-2013, 08:16 AM
The problem with simply the WIN card is it is also given out for fishing licenses and is no guarantee that you have the course. I offered to allow them access to my on-line profile with draws and hunting licenses, but they were not interested. So I had to go through a bunch of hoops to get a new hunter education card made out of Alberta to present to them.

G.A.
07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
went an asked right to horses mouth about this trade cards for an american...not true. cant do it. guy said only way for an american to hunt here without taking a core is with a guide. once a resident then MUST take co class..no core class...no hunting

G.A.
07-09-2013, 08:20 AM
well if you got it then the gov is lyng when i called them to ask ...or is more to the story how you got it then. guy laughed when i said didnt take any core class an got credited for an american one and handed a hunter number to get licesnses here.

Foxton Gundogs
07-09-2013, 03:57 PM
The problem with simply the WIN card is it is also given out for fishing licenses and is no guarantee that you have the course. I offered to allow them access to my on-line profile with draws and hunting licenses, but they were not interested. So I had to go through a bunch of hoops to get a new hunter education card made out of Alberta to present to them.

I only know how it works B.C. to Alta. not in reverse. I got my win card with my B.C. Hunters #. I got my B.C. hunters #(as did many) when they first came in without the core course by supplying the previous years B.C.HL I think it was in the late 70s or early 80s there are a lot of us who were grandfathered in here in B.C.

Foxton Gundogs
07-09-2013, 04:46 PM
well if you got it then the gov is lyng when i called them to ask ...or is more to the story how you got it then. guy laughed when i said didnt take any core class an got credited for an american one and handed a hunter number to get licesnses here[QUOTE]
The Gov't wouldn't have to be "lying" to you, BUT it wouldn't be the first time that govt. employees gave out wrong information.
Here is the link to the B.C. Hunters number application. Check- http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/docs/hunter_number_application.pdf
"Requirements- 4 easy steps" number 3 that should be the end of story right there.

Redneck Rocket
07-09-2013, 06:39 PM
went an asked right to horses mouth about this trade cards for an american...not true. cant do it. guy said only way for an american to hunt here without taking a core is with a guide. once a resident then MUST take co class..no core class...no hunting

You're correct about one thing. An American non-resident cannot purchase a resident license and must purchase a non-resident license and therefore must hire a guide if they wish to hunt big game. Small game is fine with no guide on a non-resident license. I don't know who the horse's mouth is, but I called the licensing officer in Victoria and discussed in detail with her, including whether they would accept my border forms regarding vehicle and personal effects importation as proof of establishing residency on a particular date. She reviewed the documents and confirmed that they were acceptable, and also confirmed that British Columbia recognizes the Florida Hunter Safety course as a CORE equivalent and will issue a hunting license to a card-holder.

FirePower
07-11-2013, 12:00 PM
You're correct about one thing. An American non-resident cannot purchase a resident license and must purchase a non-resident license and therefore must hire a guide if they wish to hunt big game. Small game is fine with no guide on a non-resident license. I don't know who the horse's mouth is, but I called the licensing officer in Victoria and discussed in detail with her, including whether they would accept my border forms regarding vehicle and personal effects importation as proof of establishing residency on a particular date. She reviewed the documents and confirmed that they were acceptable, and also confirmed that British Columbia recognizes the Florida Hunter Safety course as a CORE equivalent and will issue a hunting license to a card-holder.

Apparently you have done your homework and should have the informentation correct dispite "others" opinions to the contrary. Welcome back home.

Grizzlydick
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Re: Stupid Newbie Questionas they say there is no such thing as a stupid question. good stuff came out of this. enjoyed reading it.
one note, my yankee buddy came up fishing one year as usual and brought a bear gun. told the border going fishing in bear country and wanting a little security. border guy says what lake, he tells him, short time later border guy says that the rcmp are close and u do not need the gun. he said rcmp close ya about 2 hours away. to bad not letting u in. then the shitting match started, guess who won. he had the paper work filled out prior to crossing the line but it comes down to the border guy for the final ya or na. .......................