PDA

View Full Version : anybody know of decent location

cambo
07-06-2013, 09:14 PM
heading up for the aug. moose hunt and have never been north of pg. I am taking a first year hunter and would like a nice location for camp. We are looking around Sikkanni river. Any thoughts on an area?

Wade
07-06-2013, 10:19 PM
I got my 1st moose there in '87

Amphibious
07-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Follow the Blue tarps! pretty sure 90% of surrey heads up there for moose season.

brutus
07-07-2013, 07:54 AM
anywhere from Inga lake to sikkani tons of place to camp and lots of moose,lots of surrey boys too lol.all kidding aside it gets busy but its a big area and easy to get away from the crowd.do a search on that area and you will get a lot of info.if you never been in that area be prepared for mud like you never seen before,if it rains you need chains to get around not kidding seen trucks slide all the way down hills and in the ditch many time,just the crown in the road can make you slide in,lots of fun,lots of people lots of moose.not worst than pg area later in the season.my two cents from a surrey boy lol

cambo
07-09-2013, 10:07 PM
thanks for the input!

cambo
07-09-2013, 10:08 PM
would like to find a nice river/lake spot to spend our days! I don't mind heading in a ways either

doddatto
07-09-2013, 10:10 PM
I got my 1st moose there in '87
God thats when my mother gave birth too me lol :)

cambo
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Please pm me with directions to nice camp sites. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

pnbrock
07-10-2013, 02:11 PM
would you like a ride aswell?

BRvalley
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
I'll echo the concern on the mud...good tires are a must, chains and a winch if you get stuck...extra shovels, I broke the handle on my only shovel, the digging slowed...lol

won't cough up any honey holes/specific camp sites, but there is lots of sign everywhere, put in the leg work and you'll find moose

brutus
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
inga lake rec site of alaska highway mile 70 about,about 80 km past fsj on the highway to your left,sometimes the camp ground is full,not much for lakes up that way mostly rivers,i will say it again lots of place to camp,google earth is a good start

Sofa King
07-10-2013, 05:56 PM
so I guess just follow the lucky empties also.

Bear Chaser
07-10-2013, 07:02 PM
so I guess just follow the lucky empties also.

You'll be hot on the trail of the Islanders and Lower Mainlanders if you do.
Nobody up here drinks that crap.

Sofa King
07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
lol.
I was quoting the comment about most of surrey being up there, but it didn't quote.

fuzzybiscuit
07-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Ice cold Lucky's...Mmmm...

That reminds me...

cambo
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
would you like a ride aswell?
No thanks,just hoping to find a nice spot to camp after driving 15+hours.
Like I said,never been that far north anx my buddys first year hunting so I would like him to have a memorable trip.
I am not asking people to reveal their favorite exact spots they have been hunting for years.Mostly not wanting to camp in a gravel pit or beside a well head! Close to a river would be perfect

BRvalley
07-11-2013, 12:32 PM
mclheaney (sp) has an awesome map book, about $125, got mine at Corlanes, if you can source it locally down south you won't waste any time driving around up here, I believe it's all recent 2012 surveys, very good maps, you can find your rivers, camps, radio frequencies, etc

Kudu
07-11-2013, 12:37 PM
No thanks,just hoping to find a nice spot to camp after driving 15+hours.
Like I said,never been that far north anx my buddys first year hunting so I would like him to have a memorable trip.
I am not asking people to reveal their favorite exact spots they have been hunting for years.Mostly not wanting to camp in a gravel pit or beside a well head! Close to a river would be perfect

Welcome to HBC - getting the help you asking for around here is not going to happen.

Try getting hold of a couple local folk - they have pleasantly surprised me on every occasion that I asked.

mclheaney (sp) has an awesome map book, about $125, got mine at Corlanes, if you can source it locally down south you won't waste any time driving around up here, I believe it's all recent 2012 surveys, very good maps, you can find your rivers, camps, radio frequencies, etc

Now that's some great help!

Bowzone_Mikey
07-11-2013, 12:39 PM
there is no moose North of PG .... go away

seriously tho ... pick a road and follow it .... you will see something

brutus
07-11-2013, 02:13 PM
i have the same map book,you can get it here in surrey on 88 ave,there is an office for mclhaeney there,like bowzone mikey said pick a road were there is a river,lots a place to camp,then hunt and you and your body are going to be happy happy happy,that simple.if you want pm me can give you a litle bit more info

Sitkaspruce
07-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Go to http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/default.aspx select Northern Bc and find a campsite. Then get out and hunt, get off the quad and walk the bush, you will find the moose.

Lots of guys drive and drive and drive, the moose figure it out and stick to the bush. Just watch out for the oil and gas activity, which is everywhere.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

hunter1947
07-12-2013, 05:28 AM
There is a road heading into your right a few miles before you come to the Sikanni Chief rive bridge settlement on the main highway turn right on this off road head in a few hundred yards then take a left head down about 5 miles the road will dead end ,,Baker creek is at the end of the road good for elk and moose ,,tons of cut lines everywhere ,,we took a couple bulls from this area about 12 years ago..

cambo
07-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys!
I am feeling a little more at ease now

David
07-12-2013, 09:33 AM
If you want a nice campsite you could also consider "coming up from the bottom" and go in to Butler Ridge / Williston Lake area. I'm pretty sure there are some de-comissioned campsites in there, no clue about hunter traffic though and I haven't hunted there in a long while.

Darksith
07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Welcome to HBC - getting the help you asking for around here is not going to happen.

Try getting hold of a couple local folk - they have pleasantly surprised me on every occasion that I asked.

Now that's some great help!
I disagree, while there are lots of people on here that are unwilling to help people out, I find that there are many that will help a guy out. Usually by PM, thats just fine. Hes asking for a camp site, not a honey hole, and even then some people are willing to share the lessons and experiences they have learned with others in which places to go, which to avoid. The bottom line though is its hard to expect to go somewhere completely forgein and hit a home run the first time, it does happen though and a little info can go a long way.

BRvalley
07-12-2013, 10:32 AM
in regards to the unwilling to help comments...I gotta agree with that, whether by intentional or not...being new to big game hunting (growing up was mostly birds) and being fairly new to BC and this forum (3 yrs in BC now) I certainly won't ask for much help on this board, I do spend many hours searching old threads but will never post a thread asking for help

I've pm'ed a few guys asking specific questions, mixed results there LOL

there is a huge elitist attitude around here, if you aren't an expert and don't know everything, you WILL get ripped apart by the masses of all knowing hunters on the forum, see it every week in the threads

but kudos to the guys that do help

brutus
07-12-2013, 12:51 PM
A H in every forum,just take in whatever info some members are willing to share and leave the BS from the other smart ass slide.i found good info from a lot of people on this site.PLEASE NOTE if you are sensitive to sarcasim leave this forum now lmao

cambo
07-13-2013, 10:52 PM
I am mostly getting great responses and help. One member has offered to meet in person and go over maps (his own) thats what I call excellant help!

Sofa King
07-13-2013, 11:30 PM
good to hear you've found some help.
not all on here are jerk-offs.
I've gave some people some great areas to hunt, areas where I've got some great deer and seen others.
there's plenty of land out there, and animals in it.