PDA

View Full Version : Moveable single pin sight for hunting, suggestions?

Lozzie
07-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Just switched to a faster bow and I'm realizing that I might want to switch to a single pin sight as the 5 pin sight I have does not extend that far cluttering up the sight picture. If you are hunting with a single pin moveable sight what do you use?

tundra
07-06-2013, 10:01 PM
you should check out the Trophy ridge five pin sight. Instead of the pins coming out from the side the pins are inline and do not block the shot picture at the longer ranges. I find the single pin too slow to use for hunting purposes. I shoot mine out to 80 yards at 3d shoots and I have it set up to 60 yards for hunting.

Bobfl
07-07-2013, 09:18 AM
If you are using a bow from 300 to 340 ft /per sec you can use a three pin. the top pin will do 0-35 yrds. 2nd pin will do 40yrds and third 50yrds. Depending on your skill set a high speed bow will take an animal at 80-90 yrds with no problem. It is always better to get used to 5 pins and reduce the eye hole to a smaller peep. Speed bows have incredible trajectory and you will be more then impressed when you get used of it.

Superdeuce
07-07-2013, 09:35 AM
HHA OL5519...reasonably priced, good warranty and customer service

Ambush
07-07-2013, 09:37 AM
If you are using a bow from 300 to 340 ft /per sec you can use a three pin. the top pin will do 0-35 yrds. 2nd pin will do 40yrds and third 50yrds. Depending on your skill set a high speed bow will take an animal at 80-90 yrds with no problem. It is always better to get used to 5 pins and reduce the eye hole to a smaller peep. Speed bows have incredible trajectory and you will be more then impressed when you get used of it.

The last three posts of your's, that I've read, on HBC have been ridiculous. You got to be Trolling.

uraarchr
07-07-2013, 05:25 PM
HHA OL 5519 slider.works great because you can dial exact range and dont have to hold over/under.it is an extra step though(range and move slider and shoot:versus range and shoot with pins)I find myself thinking it'd be one step simpler with fixed pins .

Bowzone_Mikey
07-08-2013, 08:40 AM
I use the HHA DS 5519 ... same style as the slider but with a wheel at the back to adjust ... I like it better because i find it quicker to set yardage with the wheel than the slider. little more expensive than the slider tho ..

I also like it because its the same sight picture as my Target bow that uses an HHA scope. Familiarity

Bowzone_Mikey
07-08-2013, 08:41 AM

You sir ... are an Idiot if you believe this

G.A.
07-08-2013, 09:09 AM

80 to 90 yrd shots with a bow is a good shot?..someones been watching to much tv hunting.

Lozzie
07-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Lots of good info, I guess once I have the time to shoot it at distance I'll have to either modify my 5 pin or try to switch things up. Either way it's going to be fun.

Ambush
07-08-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't like slide sights for hunting, but if you do decide to go that route: make sure you can access it quickly and easily with your quiver mounted. With some sliders, you have to move your quiver quite far from your bow which makes for poor balance and tilting. Make sure you can have big enough range marks for easy selection even in panic mode.

If your bow is that flat shooting, you can always start out with a 25 then 40 and then go in 10 yard increments. That should de-clutter your five pin enough.

Tenaka
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
been shooting for 30 years. the 0-35 idea is not good advice. if you shoot all year round at targets then hit the bush come huntin season, a single pin may be an idea. multi pin still rules in the bush. When in the stand, you tend to start fiddling around with a single pin. In a full tree blind (hut) it is a bit more forgiving. Its all fun either way as long as you hit what your aiming at. /// 0-35 ?? really.