PDA

View Full Version : No moose draw, some pointers please?

russm
07-06-2013, 12:57 PM
So we didn't get any draws again so now I'm trying to figure out where to go.

I spent some time in region 3 last year, didn't get anything but learned the area a bit and have an idea where to start this year, it'd be cheaper to do and there's the spike fork moose season.

Or there's region 4 somewhere, it'd be further to go which would increase cost and cut down on hunting time, I don't know the area all that well but do know 1 or 2 people, also had the spike fork season.

Or I'm thinking a region 8 hunt I know that area somewhat well and it also has a spike fork season.

Any pointers anyone might be willing to share would be a big help and much appreciate, and yes I do intend to do some scouting also.

Stillhunting
07-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Post rut spike-fork seasons are usually a waste of time, but if you're happy going after deer with an extremely low probability of seeing a legal bull moose let alone getting a shot at one, all of those regions are decent.

HarryToolips
07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Post rut spike-fork seasons are usually a waste of time, but if you're happy going after deer with an extremely low probability of seeing a legal bull moose let alone getting a shot at one, all of those regions are decent.
Yup thats it, I got a spikeforker on my trail cam last year during the season, but actually seeing one and gettin it odds are low..

russm
07-06-2013, 01:18 PM
I wasn't putting too much faith in a spike fork lol I just like to have the possibility of shooting one if possible

moosinaround
07-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Sounds like superstore or Costco, dress in cammo and go get some meat!! Cheapest by far!! Moosin

Ambush
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Gotta disagree with the majority. The post rut, or second, third estrous cycle is prime time to get an immature bull. The big boys are done and loading on the feed to survive the winter. I'm not sure how many times I've seen two or three moose together, one noticeably larger than the others and the smaller one turns out to be a little bull. You MUST have good optics and a spotting scope is even better. Crappy optics probably save a lot of little bulls.

I'm not sure if the little guys are just confused and hopeful or if they may even be rejoining with their mothers. But late October or early November are good times to be sitting on a vantage point. Spotting the moose travelling or feeding and undisturbed is the key. Gives you the time you need for a positive ID.
When I rifle hunted, I shot quite a few immys from tall tree stands on the edges of older slashes and swamps. You need a comfortable seat, good binos, a spotter and the ability to shoot out to 300 yards or so. And a spot with moose. And I've shot quite a few moose late morning, so plan to stay all day, if you're serious about cutting a tag.

The other nice thing about young bulls is that they are small and two guys can easily back pack a bull a few kilometers, no problem. Which it the other key tip. Get off the trail.

Russell
07-07-2013, 10:07 AM
I think the immies are usually still with the cows during the rut. I've watched breeding groups with immature bulls hanging around the cows. Last year we got no draws and managed to get three immatures and everyone was with the cow . One had a calf with her as well. Sorry for the crappy pic but this year we each thought the others had got decent pics. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/ARRJ/2012resized-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ARRJ/media/2012resized-1.jpg.html)

Steelpulse
07-07-2013, 11:45 AM
I only know region 3 and there are animals everywhere 3-19, 3-29, 3-18 all good spots, and im agreed with ambush I'd have to disagree with the waste of time on spike hunting if you spend the time in the bush you will find them good binos and lots of walking, find some snow track them they are there, most importantly get off the road, if region 3 is closest and cheapest id put my bets there as well you already have some knowledge of the area and IMO spending the most amount of time in an area is the best for success

russm
07-07-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm kind of thinking somewhere in region 3 again.

4pointer
07-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Region 7B, August moose hunt, best chances by far! No antler restrictions and the meat taste way better.