PDA

View Full Version : After the shoot

gathto
07-06-2013, 07:28 AM
What do most of you use to keep the flys off of the meat? I have seen the portable meat houses but can't find where to buy them. Their website doesn't work.

Big Lew
07-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Good quality game bags that you can re-use many times. As in most things, you get what you pay for, so stay away from the light duty ones as they not only tear or separate, but don't last very long. You can buy them in the size specifically for the game you're hunting. Can be purchased at most hunting related sports stores.

JAYDEE
07-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Sprinkle black pepper on the meat or on the outside of the game bags with the meat inside.

gathto
07-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Isn't it better to have the meat under a screen for more air circulation, or do the game backs let enough air circulation to the meat.

Caveman
07-06-2013, 08:02 AM
A small smudge of a fire during the day smoking the hanging meat also works. Have done this with a couple moose. Worked very well. The flies don't appear until the sun is on the meat and leave when the sun goes down, allowing you hunt the morning and evenings.

i know a guy that also uses bed sheets rather than game bags. This works very well as well

gathto
07-06-2013, 08:13 AM
I use bed sheets too. Much cheaper than game bags and we duct tape them around the meat. It has just been so warm up north past few years Elk hunting I'm just trying to figure better ways to keep the meat cool.

G.A.
07-06-2013, 08:15 AM
made my own bags from pillow cases. has a seem to have a draw string on them already built in to..lol..100% cotton, i got conned into them cheep crappy cambodian tire game bags...the reasonable facsimile cheese cloth

digger dogger
07-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Shade and smudge!

Fred1
07-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Save the pepper for the table. Lightly spray with white vinegar. Pillow cases, sheets and binder twine. Hang in shade. Hand over a creek if you can when its real warm.

250 sav
07-06-2013, 11:35 PM
wipe down with vinegar and water sure seems to help.

hunter1947
07-07-2013, 05:39 AM
I use game bags to keep the fly's off the meat ,,the meat most times only hangs a few days before its in the cooler

swampthing
07-07-2013, 08:15 AM
A small smudge of a fire during the day smoking the hanging meat also works. Have done this with a couple moose. Worked very well. The flies don't appear until the sun is on the meat and leave when the sun goes down, allowing you hunt the morning and evenings.

i know a guy that also uses bed sheets rather than game bags. This works very well as well

The fire smudge works great. A spray bottle of vinegar works very well. Its easy to get better coverage than pepper. Spray it right over the game bags.

G.A.
07-07-2013, 08:19 AM
wouldnt all that pepper flavour the game?

Downtown
07-07-2013, 08:19 AM
What do most of you use to keep the flys off of the meat? I have seen the portable meat houses but can't find where to buy them. Their website doesn't work.

Flies dont like Smoke.

Mr. Dean
07-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I hang it overnight in bags (cotton pillow cases or sewn bed sheets) and it's in a cold storage the very next day.

Jelvis
07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
After you hang it and skin it, put the hide on the ground flesh side up and the horny little fly's will go to the meat on the hide. Then put game bag over the carcass and make sure there are no open spots when you ty it together. Flies don't fly much over 15 feet high so if you can get it up, lol, the flies won't bother it. I use coarse pepper also in the seams and cracks to keep the blow flies off it, it burns there ass real good and they buzz off when they feel the burn, OUCH! You Bas---d. Go back home holy, that hurt, I'm buzzing off, Jel .. Flies don't like it when their butts and face are burnt by hot pepper.

kendoo
07-09-2013, 06:06 PM
On page 7 of new hunting synopsis meat tents sold in Armstrong 1-877-727-3554
I had a small one was good for deer, goat or sheep. Had 2 made the same (large holds 2 elk no problem 8 quarters) Use 8x10 tarp top & bottom & sew in 4 foot door screen in the middle, zipper in one end. Leave a hole in back end & slide tent over a hanging pole & slide the tent to the back, hang quarters on pole & pull tent over the quarters do up the zipper & tie the ends around the hanging poles. I've used these tents for 27 years up the Muskwa. I also sewed in a short zipper in the bottom to let the water out after washing the blood off the floor of tent. Caution fly proof but not bear proof i've had to rebuild a few times. I don't know where everyone else hunts but those Muskwa blow flys don't deter they blow eggs on any thing close to meat even had them blow wool pants & sleeping bags that were hung out to air out.

Walking Buffalo
07-09-2013, 07:18 PM
wouldnt all that pepper flavour the game?

It can, and with a great result! One of the most memorable pieces of meat I ever cooked was a Caribou loin thoroughly covered in cracked pepper and then wrapped, aged a week then thrown in the freezer. A mild pepper flavour infused all the way through the meat. I package a loin like this on purpose every year now. I prefer the pepper flavour over vinegar.