PDA

View Full Version : Schedule C question

czechsanchez
07-05-2013, 09:45 AM
In regards to schedule C, when it is said that there is no license required.

Does that mean I can hunt without a core or anything? (my friend's farm in the eastern fraser valley has a lot of rabbits and we'd like to hunt them)

hare_assassin
07-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Does that mean I can hunt without a core or anything? (my friend's farm in the eastern fraser valley has a lot of rabbits and we'd like to hunt them)

Yes, if they are truly eastern cottontails and/or european rabbits, then kill and eat as many as you want. No license required.

Make sure they aren't snowshoe hare, in which case you need a license and must abide by the GOS listed for your area.

Oh, and if you plan to eat them, I hope your friend's farm is pesticide-free.

czechsanchez
07-05-2013, 09:54 AM
I'll study some pictures in the office today..

Your name seems to imply you're the guy to ask about rabbits!

Is there an easy way to tell whether the rabbit is snowshoe hare or invasive species? I just assumed the massive outbreak of rabbits all over the valley were the invasive kind?

hare_assassin
07-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Well, 100% of my experience is with snowshoe hare, so unfortunately I can't give any advice on easy identification. I've seen enough snowshoe hare that I am confident that I would be able to say if something is not a snowshoe hare, but that's the extent of it.

In general terms, though, hare tend to be longer and more slender, have much larger feet, and their faces aren't as "cute". The other thing to keep in mind is that snowshoe hare change colour from white in winter to brown in summer. Eastern cottontails or european rabbits don't do this. With it being summer, this isn't a big help...

The fluffy white tail of the eastern cottontail is a dead giveaway.

Wish I could be more help. If you have a telephoto lens on a decent camera, you could take some pics and post them or just compare them to online photos...

Good luck!

itsy bitsy xj
07-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Mmmm Bugs-bunny on the bbq,
I've hunted them in Ladner, just take a look on the inter-web an you'll see the diference

hare_assassin
07-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Oh, one other thing: European Rabbits live underground in burrows, most cottontail don't, and snowshoe hare never do.

hare_assassin
07-05-2013, 10:53 AM
This article indicates that they may indeed be cottontails... http://alienspecies.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/eng/species/eastern-cottontail-rabbit

andrewscag
07-05-2013, 12:29 PM
I read an article a while ago saying that the invasive s had completely pushed the native hares out of the FV. Google the Latin name of eastern cottontail and bc and you'll get some more info. Eastern cottontail usually have a reddish patch on the back of their neck

BuckNaked
07-05-2013, 01:02 PM

Can I come, we can call in some of those Eurasian Collared Doves as well, they are invasive, and from what i hear pretty tasty since they are mainly a grain eater! I was calling them into my backyard last week!

czechsanchez
07-05-2013, 01:43 PM
I read an article a while ago saying that the invasive s had completely pushed the native hares out of the FV. Google the Latin name of eastern cottontail and bc and you'll get some more info. Eastern cottontail usually have a reddish patch on the back of their neck

I'm printing this out and citing it as a legal source for when I get arrested for poaching, you may have to come testify in court for me

K-1
07-05-2013, 02:00 PM
In your first post the " or anything " is interesting. I don't think shooting a few rabbits is much to worry about as not having a firearms licence.

czechsanchez
07-05-2013, 02:13 PM
firearms license I have, core I do not

adriaticum
07-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Also one important thing to remember.
While you do not need a hunting license you have to check you municipal laws about discharge of firearms.
You can't just go and shoot things in a populated area even though it's on your own property.
Check municipal bylaws first.

andrewscag
07-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm printing this out and citing it as a legal source for when I get arrested for poaching, you may have to come testify in court for me

I stand corrected. As of 2012 it looks like there were still small populations of Snowshoe hare in Burnaby lake park, and other unconfirmed populations in a few other intact forested areas of Vancouver, usually parks. Nuttall's rabbit doesn't live here, and the White tailed jackrabbit is considered extirpated locally (must have been what I read about). I've certainly never seen any here in Langley.

If you're shooting a species that you can't identify, I'm not going to be much help to you in court or otherwise. ;-) As I said, google the species you want to hunt for more info

sparkes3
07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I wanna help shoot those wascally wabbits

BuckNaked
07-05-2013, 07:36 PM
There are many eastern cottontails out here in the wack, just drive down any of the back farm roads around here at dawn or dusk and they are everywhere.
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa406/phonedzero/CO_Mammals_eastern_cottontail_zpsa68e3295.jpg

Mishka
07-05-2013, 07:51 PM
What's a wock?

Something you throw at a wabbit when you don't have a wifle.

Sorry...

6.5x55
07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
the other thing to remember is that most of the areas where the rabbits are ,are in the fraser valley special license area and are restricted to shotguns with shot only, no single projectiles , so no 22's.

BuckNaked
07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Most of the eastern farmland of Chilliwack is open with no prohibtions on ammo, just make sure you got your insurance.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012.pdf

czechsanchez
07-05-2013, 11:06 PM
went all over past fairfield island towards rosedale and back tonight, didn't get anything but bug bites :(

Tomorrow is going to require a new strategy and location I think...

Also whats this about insurance?

BuckNaked
07-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Check the link I posted.

v-king
07-06-2013, 11:09 PM

You still need your core and a hunter number. That's seperate from a hunting licence

G.A.
07-07-2013, 08:24 AM
You still need your core and a hunter number. That's seperate from a hunting licence

no he doesnt need core to hunt anything in schedule c....other than a pal to use a rifle, and not sure but being within the fraser valley special area i doubt you can get a permit or ins to hunt without the cor first. kinda gotcha that way i think