PDA

View Full Version : Hi Mountain Pepperoni question

Philcott
07-05-2013, 07:02 AM
I'm doing up a batch of hi-mountain "snackin' stick" pepperoni and I have a question if anyone has ever used their stuff for making this.

The instructions say to make 2-3 lbs at a time. It then says "Because the cure acts as a binder, do not wait to stuff the casings."

When making fresh sausages I would normally mix up my 20 lbs of meat with the spices and then stuff all the casings at once. Should I read from the instructions above that the "cure" makes the meat sticky and I will have a hard time stuffing the casings if I mix the whole batch at once?

If so, I guess I need to mix a bit, stuff it, mix some more and continue until it's all done.

Mikey Rafiki
07-05-2013, 07:10 AM
I've used similar mixes and just added the bare minimum amount if water as I go to make it workable enough. I also only use the natural casings and they are a heck of a lot tougher. I've never noticed a difference between the first and last sections of pepperoni by doing this.

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Just used the kit you are talking about the other day. Worked pretty good. Because I was using a smaller capacity meat grinder for the stuffing job it took two sets of hands and it was much easier to do 3lbs at a time. But it was also my first time making sausage/ pepperoni. I don't know why but I was surprised by how good the flavour and taste was (I guess my expectations were low to begin with). With the measurements that they suggest the meat does get quite sticky, unless you are able to stuff within 10-15 minutes I wouldn`t recommend making a large quantity to begin with. Start small and increase as you see fit.

Philcott
07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks NH. I was reading that some folks found the kits a bit salty. Did you find this? I've made a bunch of their other sausages like the breakfast sausage and found them very tasty.

Soon I'll have enough experience to blend up my own spices to try but the kits are a good way to get started in the sausage game.

Gateholio
07-05-2013, 10:26 AM
If you are using an automated stuffer or stuffer/ grinder you can zip through 20 lbs of meat pretty damn quick!

Philcott
07-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I have the Cabelas 5 lb stuffing horn. As long as I keep the meat moist it works quite well.

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks NH. I was reading that some folks found the kits a bit salty. Did you find this? I've made a bunch of their other sausages like the breakfast sausage and found them very tasty.

Soon I'll have enough experience to blend up my own spices to try but the kits are a good way to get started in the sausage game.

Found them to be quite good, not too salty at all.

eastkoot
07-05-2013, 02:41 PM
The cure acts as a binder and if left overnight the mixture becomes stiff. If you leave it without stuffing it immediately, you can add water to allow for a better mix for stuffing..

lorneparker1
07-05-2013, 03:00 PM
If you are using an automated stuffer or stuffer/ grinder you can zip through 20 lbs of meat pretty damn quick!

Gate did you end up getting the dakotah? and do you love it>?

BiG Boar
07-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Dakota stuffer used last weekend to do a 10 pound batch at once. The reason they recommend 3 pounds is so you can try it first and adjust spice and salt flavor. Their hot Italian sausage fresh, sucks IMO. But that is in comparison to other types. I find their stuff usually a bit bland. Peperoni was good though.

BruceW
07-13-2013, 06:11 AM
We use that pepperoni mix as well. I rough grind the meat, mix in the spice packet, but only use about 1/2 or less of the salt packet. (we smoke the pepperoni, then vacum seal it and freeze it so I'm not concerned about the cure and find it too salty if the entire salt packet is used).
I leave the spiced rough grind in the fridge overnight, the following day hand mix a little more, fine grind it, then stuff the casings and smoke it. Doing it this way we make whatever we're making at once, usually around 20lbs at a time.

Works great for us, some batches we add more cayene/garlic/paprika. They also make a maple flavored breakfast sausage mix, now that's tasty breakfast sausage!

Gateholio
07-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Gate did you end up getting the dakotah? and do you love it>?

Yes I did but haven't got a chance to try it out yet!

Bobfl
07-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Quick tip: Mix a batch you want then make a small mini patty and grill it on the barbe. The taste will tell you if you like it and need to add more spice

sawmill
07-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Quick tip: Mix a batch you want then make a small mini patty and grill it on the barbe. The taste will tell you if you like it and need to add more spice

Yes! Use a bit less of the cure,it can be pretty salty after it smokes,try a patty and go from there.Nothing worse than wrecking all the meat.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-23-2013, 11:16 AM
I use their kits often ... however for the 20# kit I generally mix about 15# for a bolder flavour ... as mentioned earlier if you follow the recipe to the letter they are pretty bland ... I generally add some spices as well ... it like the kit is a a good base ... and season to taste