PDA

View Full Version : White Tails on the Coquihalla

longwalk
07-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Was up the Coq yesterday, pulled into the Coldwater river provincial park just past the old toll toll booth location and there were two little white tailed bucks standing on the road. Only a matter of time before they are being seen reliably in Hope and Chilliwack.

kako99
07-05-2013, 06:55 AM
It's not uncommon to see WT's around the toll booth. In the synopsis they had a paragraph saying WT's had been sighted around herlling island and not to harvest them.

BuckNaked
07-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Try and push them into MU3, no WT GOS in MU2.

coquitlam
07-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I have seen WT does in that area and talked to others also . Not sure if it`s a good thing having them moving into mulie country

r106
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Seen one around Murrey lake 3 years ago and heard of a few in the Kane Valley so thats not far

r106
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
I have seen WT does in that area and talked to others also . Not sure if it`s a good thing having them moving into mulie country

It's not a good thing for Mule deer

Steeleco
07-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Seen one around Murrey lake 3 years ago and heard of a few in the Kane Valley so thats not far

This one was shot last Oct in the Kane. There's not just few and some of them are much bigger. I hate private land LOL I've seen WT does 14km east of Boston Bar on the road system west of Maka. Spend enough time in there and you'll see there's more and more each year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG00037-20121014-1703_zps27d29b3b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/steeleco/media/IMG00037-20121014-1703_zps27d29b3b.jpg.html)

swampthing
07-07-2013, 05:29 PM
They should open a year around season on those damn things and thin them out a bit. "Coarse" deer need to be controlled. Our real deer suffer from these invasive deer.

Sofa King
07-07-2013, 05:56 PM

if they can get there on their own, then it's just as much their territory as well.

never understand why people think only certain animals or fish should be in certain areas.

pnbrock
07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Duallie do you ever think before you speak?these invasive deer will interbreed causing in fertile hybrids

digger dogger
07-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Duallie do you ever think before you speak?these invasive deer will interbreed causing in fertile hybrids

No shit! Ask an Albertan, about white tails pushing out the mulies. Eating them out of house and home...
Smarten up Duallie!!!!

ruger#1
07-07-2013, 07:27 PM
No shit! Ask an Albertan, about white tails pushing out the mulies. Eating them out of house and home...
Smarten up Duallie!!!!
Just call him SRW. Smarten up Single Rear Wheel.

Jelvis
07-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Free wheel burning .. J. Priest --- Your lost butt yer not a lahooozer lol ..

noahs ark
07-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Could of sworn I was sitting beside a WT on the Coastal Inspiration Friday....

longwalk
07-07-2013, 07:33 PM
My unserstanding that the whitetailed deer in the Fraser Valley came from an escaped/transplanted population on Herrling island. I have heard rumours about people seeing them in the hills around Chilliwack. I travel the Coquihalla frequently, have camped in the Kane valley but the only Whities I have ever seen where around Helmer lake. That is what I was a bit surprised to see them that far down the Coq. Only 60 kms from Hope.

Jelvis
07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Logan Lake through to Helmer Lake and around, have the white tail deer roaming the grounds. jellywhattail. What tail lol. Use Exits 315 for Helmer lake and Exit 336 for Logan Lake off the Coq5 Hwy.

rides bike to work
07-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Seen a couple white tails just east of the sumit in the flat section before Larson hill on the road side of the game fence. I heard they can climb fences they are that invasive

HarryToolips
07-07-2013, 09:46 PM
And to think I was bitchin about the WT doe season last year being too long...LOL my bad..the best thing about em though is they're actually fun to hunt, not like mulies, man are they dumb although it's still fun shooting em when they're standing with that stupid look just starin at ya...

heyblast
07-07-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm certain it was a Whitetail that I saw two years ago 5 km east of Mission. Soon we'll have turkeys and whitetails in the LML. Duallies right if they make it on thier own, we're the ones that have made it possible for these species to spread so blame yourself if you don't like it.

Ambush
07-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Whitetails taste good. More gooder than mulies.

lovemywinchester
07-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Whitetails taste good. More gooder than mulies.

Word..............

Sofa King
07-07-2013, 11:06 PM

way to go.
attack and insult.
hope you have children and others treat them that way.

who are we to play god and think we should be "controlling" what and where the animals go?
who are we to suggest that the mulies are a superior breed?
and by the way, I way love hunting md over wt.
but, I would have to think that if the wt are able to adapt and prosper so well, doesn't that make them superior?

if there were no humans around to be "concerned" or "upset" about the "invasive" wt, do you really think there would be some big catastrophe happening?
no, it's nature.
a Caucasian mates with a black person, they give birth to a beautiful mixed race child, you think that's terrible?
is that so different?

I find it funny that people get all upset about the wt crossing into the md territory when they're intention is to kill the md anyway.

Mikey Rafiki
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Isn't the current understanding the Mule deer descend from a dirty ill gotten hybrid between Whitetail and Blacktail? They wouldn't exist without the whitetail, which have been around for millions of years, whereas these ungodly Mule deer have been around for roughly 10,000 years. Who was invasive in the first place?

Steeleco
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I actually have to agree with Duallie. The animals are going to do whats natural, despite human emotion to the contrary. Besides WT taste much better than MD IMHO

Just a few months back having conversation with one of our HBC members that's educated on the matter. He spoke of MD being under threat from WT deer expansion, he also said that if his superiors allowed a 5 WT doe season, us hunters wouldn't even make a dent in said expansion. That and MD are a long ago cross breed between Blacktails and WT's so it's happened before and the offspring aren't known for their smarts

hare_assassin
07-08-2013, 08:45 AM
....That and MD are a long ago cross breed between Blacktails and WT's so it's happened before and the offspring aren't known for their smarts

LOL. No doubt.

ruger#1
07-08-2013, 09:29 AM
http://www.blacktailcountry.com/html/blkpage.htm

rides bike to work
07-08-2013, 10:54 AM
I like mule deer better and don't want there range taken over by white tails.white tails also carry a lot of disease that can harm other big game that is not as resistant to disease. As for letting wild life be wild. That's a pretty rediculouse statement as we have been managing wil life for over 100 years to the benefit of wild life.

Ltbullken
07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Spreading like an invasive species! There should continue to be generous, if not expanded GOS on WT in the Interior.

skibum
07-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Ya, lets hear it for sitting in a stand for hours on end --- Not

The doe WT season should match the buck

lovemywinchester
07-08-2013, 02:02 PM
I would love it if the bag limit for WT bucks was increased to 2 in Reg 3. They should do something like where you need to show a cancelled WT doe tag before you get the second buck tag.

My friend is in his early 40's and he grew up in Logan Lake. His dad was hunting WT when he was a little kid so its not like the WT are new here.

r106
07-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I would love it if the bag limit for WT bucks was increased to 2 in Reg 3. They should do something like where you need to show a cancelled WT doe tag before you get the second buck tag.

My friend is in his early 40's and he grew up in Logan Lake. His dad was hunting WT when he was a little kid so its not like the WT are new here.I hive distant relatives that live in one of the eastern states in the US and they have to take a Doe before there allowed a buck tag.

Mikey Rafiki
07-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Never hunted for Whitey's from a stand in BC and I personally only know a couple people that do, so I'm not sure what that means.

All my critters are hunted from the foot, with Whitey's being second to Elk for action, response to calls, and skill required.

I would be happy with the option to take 2 Whitey bucks rather than one of each species. Heck, I will eat as many whitey's as they will let me. They reduced the region 4 deer aggregate to 2, so they must think there is a shortage, although they suggested it was a typo in the regs to begin with.

TexasWalker
07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
if they can get there on their own, then it's just as much their territory as well.

never understand why people think only certain animals or fish should be in certain areas.

You have answered your own question twice in this thread.

It is our responsibility to control whitetail(and other invasive species)because we(humans)have enabled wildlife to spread to areas that they wouldn't have without human interaction or enabling.

Not much different than killing wolves.
Yet you don't seem to understand that either.
Try and look at scientific facts and not think with emotion.

TexasWalker
07-08-2013, 05:58 PM
I actually have to agree with Duallie. The animals are going to do whats natural, despite human emotion to the contrary. Besides WT taste much better than MD IMHO

Just a few months back having conversation with one of our HBC members that's educated on the matter. He spoke of MD being under threat from WT deer expansion, he also said that if his superiors allowed a 5 WT doe season, us hunters wouldn't even make a dent in said expansion. That and MD are a long ago cross breed between Blacktails and WT's so it's happened before and the offspring aren't known for their smarts

Not smart?

Yep nothin dumber in the bush than a big mature muley buck eh!:wink:

Ltbullken
07-08-2013, 10:09 PM
way to go.
attack and insult.
hope you have children and others treat them that way.

who are we to play god and think we should be "controlling" what and where the animals go?
who are we to suggest that the mulies are a superior breed?
and by the way, I way love hunting md over wt.
but, I would have to think that if the wt are able to adapt and prosper so well, doesn't that make them superior?

if there were no humans around to be "concerned" or "upset" about the "invasive" wt, do you really think there would be some big catastrophe happening?
no, it's nature.
a Caucasian mates with a black person, they give birth to a beautiful mixed race child, you think that's terrible?
is that so different?

I find it funny that people get all upset about the wt crossing into the md territory when they're intention is to kill the md anyway.

Mule deer and other species should not have to pay the price for human alteration of natural habitat, so we should then take it on ourselves to control invasive species that would not normally be there. Doesn't mean wiping them out, it does mean taking efforts to control growth and spread...like many need to do with their midsection...

I think we should also be concerned about diseases that WT might bring into local MD populations, like CWD. If that hits the local MD, would be a real downer.... Seriously, the live and let live philosophy although well intended and apropos for the 60's, is misguided and potentially disastrous for local fauna.

one-shot-wonder
07-08-2013, 10:41 PM
I would be happy with the option to take 2 Whitey bucks rather than one of each species. Heck, I will eat as many whitey's as they will let me. They reduced the region 4 deer aggregate to 2, so they must think there is a shortage, although they suggested it was a typo in the regs to begin with.

It was proposed in reg 8 last few years and the regional bio shot it down. The intention is to allow hunters to take advantage of the thriving WT population and to reduce some of the harvest on MD.

one-shot-wonder
07-08-2013, 10:45 PM

Dont need to sit for hours on end, however definitely have to alter ones normal hunting pace.......a bit of scouting and increased time afield will enable one to locate and pattern WT's.

More hunters need to start investing time to pursuing white tails and filling the freezer with very good venison table fare. I believe they will be doing their part for management too!

skibum
07-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Dont need to sit for hours on end, however definitely have to alter ones normal hunting pace.......a bit of scouting and increased time afield will enable one to locate and pattern WT's.

More hunters need to start investing time to pursuing white tails and filling the freezer with very good venison table fare. I believe they will be doing their part for management too!

I definitely like hunting in the hills for MD. Next week I will be putting some time in scouting WT. The WT hunt for me will be more of a meat hunt so I can go after a big MD and not worry about letting a dinker go.

Last year I saw a couple pictures showing some WTs taken in the bush on a hillside in the Kootenays on this site. I am hoping that WT hunting is not all about sitting on the edge of an agricultural field after begging for access.

Does anybody know how MD have done co-existing with WT in Alberta and Saskatchewan. MD seem to have done alright there?

Dannybuoy
07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
It was proposed in reg 8 last few years and the regional bio shot it down. The intention is to allow hunters to take advantage of the thriving WT population and to reduce some of the harvest on MD.

There used to be a 2 wt buck limit in region 8 , I always wondered why they got rid of it as it didn't appear to be hurting the population . Maybe to increase the buck to doe ratio ? I always took a second wt over a smaller muley .

Jelvis
07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I would hunt off the Exit 240 to Murray Lake area and Exit 250 Larson Hill exchange and the Brookmere cutoff Exit 256 and go towards Hwy 5A and the Exit at Kindsvale for whitetails up the Kane Valley Rd for a whitey toad and from anywhere from there up the Coq5 to Exit 315 at Helmer Lake, and Exit 336 at Logan Lake turnoff. You can find whitetail all along here.