PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater area. Any info?

13thplumber
07-04-2013, 07:14 PM
No LEH again this year. So were heading to clearwater area 1st week of October. Never hunted there before. Any info out there? We're going for moose and deer.

f350ps
07-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Wow, good choice, lots and lots of Moose and Deer, I'd send Dana a PM, I'm sure he'd help you out with coordinates and such. Good Luck! K :)

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Wow, good choice, lots and lots of Moose and Deer, I'd send Dana a PM, I'm sure he'd help you out with coordinates and such. Good Luck! K :)

LOTS of MOOSE ? :( Maybe at one time but not any more ! :cry: Deer population is OK but Moose is way DOWN just like the rest of the province ! RJ

07-04-2013, 08:10 PM
I hear the new #1, #2 and #3 world record typical mule deer live in Clearwater.

lovemywinchester
07-04-2013, 08:25 PM
You mean Tunkwater. Its a big area.

biggyun68
07-04-2013, 08:32 PM
MY self and four friends hunted Clearwater last year in November: No luck with moose and the locals said the wolves have been hitting the Deer and Moose hard for years:
Saw two cow calf pairs; one lone cow and found some Bull Moose sign up high

Jelvis
07-04-2013, 08:42 PM
You can't go wrong with the Clearwater area for hunting big game, mule deer and moose are living in the forests. Hunt wet ponds and meadow areas in the early morning. 1st week of October is good for moose, it's mid/peak rut, you can use your favorite moose call, bull, cow or calf calling in the early mornings by little moose ponds and streams. You can radiate out into mega area all around from Little Fort to Clearwater. Mule deer won't be in the rut yet they go in on Oct 20 and on. Some great MU's all around Clearwater to access into big game hunting country with good success ratio depends a lot on the weather systems. Clearwater is a top notch area for mule deer and has fair moose. Some grouse and lots a black bears. Good luck up Clearwater. Jel

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2013, 08:46 PM
You can't go wrong with the Clearwater area for hunting big game, mule deer and moose are living in the forests. Hunt wet ponds and meadow areas in the early morning. 1st week of October is good for moose, it's mid/peak rut, you can use your favorite moose call, bull, cow or calf calling in the early mornings by little moose ponds and streams. You can radiate out into mega area all around from Little Fort to Clearwater. Mule deer won't be in the rut yet they go in on Oct 20 and on. Some great MU's all around Clearwater to access into big game hunting country with good success ratio depends a lot on the weather systems. Clearwater is a top notch area for mule deer and has fair moose. Some grouse and lots a black bears. Good luck up Clearwater. Jel

Have you even being out of your house hunting there in the last 10 years ? Just Wondering ! :) RJ

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Your a Sh*t Disturber ! :wink: LOL RJ

Jelvis
07-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Some super big game hunting famalies living up the gorgeous North Thompson valley from Exlou to Vavenby. Old timers sons and daughters hunting the hills now with the grand kids just like dad and uncles did. Moose and deer on the menu. Once you pass Kamloops heading north on the Yellowhead Hwy number 5, going towards Barriere and past you are in prime mule deer and moose hunting country. It's all you will need to get a chance at a nice healthy mule deer. Jel Fish

f350ps
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Ya I heard that also, not only that but there was a few monster Bulls taken outta ther the last few years! :) K

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2013, 10:44 PM
BS ! " Heard " stories ! Same old - same old ! :cry: RJ

WaldoFive
07-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Truth be known, the Moose are larger the farther north you go. Biggest bucks hang out in the Oakanagan.

f350ps
07-05-2013, 07:53 AM
BS ! " Heard " stories ! Same old - same old ! :cry: RJ
Wow, you got quite the sense of humour eh? K

.330 Dakota
07-05-2013, 09:36 AM

LMAO,,,,He does have a great sense of humor,,makes me laugh every time I see him

hare_assassin
07-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Have you even being out of your house hunting there in the last 10 years ? Just Wondering ! :) RJ

I've seen some Jelly doubters around here and I often think he might be full of shit, but I can confirm what he's saying about north of Kamloops up 5 towards Barriere (and east of that whole area); it is prime Mulie territory. In fact, you don't even need to go that far north. ;)

604redneck
07-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Theres a decent number of moose there if u get out of your truck. Heaven forbid a 50" bull doesnt walk down the road every day. We saw 6 bulls and twice as many cow calf pairs in 3 days so its not terrible, I was only looking for mulies. As far as road hunting and staying close to the road good luck there are more people headed to that area than probably anywhere in the province, some fsr's look like highways. Why not go to region 5? alexis creek holds some monsters.

Salty
07-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I would strongly suggest doing a search for 'Clearwater". That otta keep one busy for a week or two. LOL. It's the new Serengeti.

dana
07-05-2013, 06:34 PM

Hmmm, I really wonder how after 10+ years of seeing numerous of these exact threads per year that some people still think they are somehow funny. It's kinda like still laughing when someone asks you 'why did the chicken cross the road?'

dana
07-05-2013, 06:41 PM
No LEH again this year. So were heading to clearwater area 1st week of October. Never hunted there before. Any info out there? We're going for moose and deer.

If you are serious in your question I can tell ya that Clearwater ain't near what she used to be. The North Thompson was the only area in the Province that the Regional Manager in last year's BC Outdoors Hunting Report said expect very poor hunting due to wolves. With that being said, she ain't all doom and gloom. There are still deer and moose here. Just have to hunt a lot harder for them.

urbanhermit
07-05-2013, 06:47 PM
hey dana, i live in clearwater but want to hunt in surrey this year, any advice is appreciated.

trebreklaw
07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
I heard there's better moose #s in the Bonaparte area . Both moose and deer have been reduced significantly in the Clearwater area the last few years by wolves. But if you just get off the roads they can still be taken.
Just saw a moose yesterday when fishing!

dana
07-05-2013, 07:16 PM
I've been working up the Bonaparte the last few winters. I'm very impressed by the moose numbers I've been seeing. Odds on the LEH are tougher to draw but way better odds on actually killing a moose compared to the easy to draw Clearwater units.

Weatherby Fan
07-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I've been working up the Bonaparte the last few winters. I'm very impressed by the moose numbers I've been seeing. Odds on the LEH are tougher to draw but way better odds on actually killing a moose compared to the easy to draw Clearwater units.

Good to hear dana as I have a bull draw for Nov 1-30th up there,maybe you could tie one to a tree for me !

604redneck
07-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Hmmm, I really wonder how after 10+ years of seeing numerous of these exact threads per year that some people still think they are somehow funny. It's kinda like still laughing when someone asks you 'why did the chicken cross the road?'
I still laugh when i fart and thats been going on 28 years now.....as for the hunting in the north thompson the op would be as well off to go into the merrit area less of a drive and still good deer hunting

REMINGTON JIM
07-05-2013, 08:19 PM

LOL I'm OK all good ! missed it - :-D RJ

rocksteady
07-05-2013, 08:32 PM
From all the threads on here about Clearwater area, I would think there are huge mulies running all over the place, standing behind every tree......

Just cause Dana busts his ass and is very selective, only taking deer that I would only kill in my wettest dreams, it does not mean the area is over run with game....

Don't believe rumours or what Jelvis says..... Wait, they are the same thing....

Jelvis
07-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I got the skinny on the "new area" for hunting from a newbie who knows Bo. Hunt south of Kammy now preferred over the North of Kammy Land. The moose count went downhill north of Kamsville especially Clearwater and beyond to Valemount. Once a pon a time, years b4 counted 300 swampdonkies, and now about 30 so yah the timber wolves love moose meat. The mule deer have faired better in slightly different slopes and ridges. For deer hunting for decent size mule deer if south is better like the new hunter believes through scientific stats and back up to prove it, us old timers might learn a thing or three. South of Kammy for deer and moose according to the young educated in the know hunter. I'm starting to think maybe the system is right and I better listen up, she's a razor sharp. Moose have been demolished in the Clearwater /Mad River Saga. By the wolf king and his motly crew, sometimes a lil ac/dc but straightens out in the Long run, but the wolves have smitten and the Clearwater re written for hunting moose, you need LEH here for sure now, with a limited amount of the biggest deer, the moose. Try Mu 3-19 and or MU 3-18 for two/point spike bull moose gos. Go for LEH Moose every year until you win, then it would be a better chance to be lucky. Jel .. and you don't be calling me out, you know who you Rrrrr. StopItdropit

rocksteady
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
The Wallachin buck comes to mind.... Never did see pics.... Like a ogopogo or samsquatch... No hard ev-ee-dense..... Just sayin Jel!

.330 Dakota
07-06-2013, 11:41 AM
hey dana, i live in clearwater but want to hunt in surrey this year, any advice is appreciated.

LMAO,,all there is to hunt down there is "dump bears", ask RJ what a dump bear is...lol