PDA

View Full Version : Elk in 8-12/14

Gibby0087
07-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Hello, so my girlfriends dad got lucky and beat three new hunters and got a antler less elk in mu 8-12/14. Now it's my job to do some research. If anyone has any advice about the region it would be much appreciated as I've never hunted out that way before. The draws for jan15 to feb28. What kind of weather can we expect around that time? And should we go north more or stay lower down? I'm sure ill have more questions to come.

tater
07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
That's an elevation restricted hunt (below 1100M). You'll be looking to find access to private land in the valleys, or to use sleds to access lower sections on FSRs nearby. Unless an FSR is active, sleds will be the only way in. If they are active...well...better have a VHF and chains on your rig to pull over and then get back out again.
There will be 2-4 feet of snow down low, and temps between -5 and -25 that time of year.
Make some calls to the regional CO in GF and ask him if any landowners have requested hunters on their land for cull purposes.

Gibby0087
07-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the info I have a lot of research to do. My buddy has like 7-15 acres in rock creek so I was thinking around there. Any insight on that are?

07-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Try the Bosovich and Hesketh Ranches, many others want them dead too, call the Local C/O and Bio ...... they can help you.

CT

tater
07-05-2013, 08:39 AM
The "7-15 acres in Rock Creek" may or may not be doable. Rock Creek is spread out, but has a fair amount of buildings and livestock, so depending on the layout shooting could be an issue.

The Hesketh is no longer a working ranch, but both it and the Bosovich ranches are good calls by CT above. Also, drop a line to the Rock Creek Wildlife Club. There are probably some folks there who have been asked to "thin the herd" as well.