PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Info on Ashnola Sheep Draw Sept 8-14

sixbysix
07-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi, I was lucky enough to draw a Ram tag for Zones 8-03 BD for Sept 8-14. Im wondering if anyone can shed some light on access (roads/trails), Reserve issues, Water, and any other tips and tricks which may make this a successful hunt.
Thank you in advance!

doubled
07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Your first post is a request for sheep draw info, good luck with that. You may want to scout it out a few times before your hunt is open.

Muliechaser
07-04-2013, 02:44 PM
You have lots of time left to scout ,google earth ,make phone calls ,study maps ect. Get on it! Why would you put in for an area you have never even been to? Lmao . There ia probably a few hints on hbc allready if u search around. Like doubleD said get up there and start with that.

Mc

Moe.JKU
07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Theres a lot of areas that are easy to access in ashnola area. Was up there last year, great area to be in as well. Like they said go up and scout if you have a quad, 4x4, side by side etc you can cover a lot of ground very fast in the area. bring binos, or spotting scope and you should be able to see a lot or land in one day of exploring.
Dont worry i put into a place i have never been before either, but it will be the first of that species for me so you got to find out eventually.

Gateholio
07-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Don't worry about the hecklers. Its not like that area is fly or boat in only. There is lots of info on that area here. Do a search and also I'm sure there will be others contributing.

goinghunting
07-04-2013, 04:15 PM
What a stupid comment!!!!! Do you actually go learn an area for a leh permit before you get it? It might take 30 years to get it or you might never get it? No harm in a guy asking for some leh info for a draw that someone has some past experience with, these are draw area's and I don't see the benefit to keeping secrets! Kudo's to the guys who are willing to help out on draw info to possably make it that once in a lifetime hunt! I've got a similar formum started on the similkameen cali draw for the same reason's just looking for any kind of general info to help get started with full plans of putting in some serious scouting time and laying down some boot leather and glass. goodluck sixbysix I wish I could help you out but have never had the draw!
You have lots of time left to scout ,google earth ,make phone calls ,study maps ect. Get on it! Why would you put in for an area you have never even been to? Lmao . There ia probably a few hints on hbc allready if u search around. Like doubleD said get up there and start with that.

Mc

Everett
07-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Pretty straight forward the Sheep mostly in the Park and on the Reserve or in areas were the only access is through the Reserve. So your hunting the Park and your walking no quads the key is the trail up Ewart creek. If you can get across the reserve there are sheep near Joe lake as well.

kennyj
07-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Congrats on your draw! Should be a great hunt. The last WSSOBC news letter has a great article on that area with locations of the sheep herds.

PS
I've been fortunate to draw some great tags over the years, and I never went to any of those areas before I drew the tag.

kenny

Whonnock Boy
07-04-2013, 06:06 PM
i've been fortunate to draw some great tags over the years, and i never went to any of those areas before i drew the tag.

Kenny

x 2..........

bcmulie
07-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Hey sixbysix, are you a member of the Wild Sheep Society? If not, you should join!

Ashnola is an awesome, but tough hunt. I had the same tag as you 2 years ago and hunted hard the whole season. Although I didn't tag out, I did see several groups of rams and came close. There's a good horse trail up Juniper creek on the NW side of the unit, and there are two roads on the east side that will take you up pretty high. The northernmost one goes to Joe Lake. Unfortunately, you have to cross reserve land to use the roads, and in 2011 they charged $20 for hikers and $350 for hunters to open the gate. Don't count on them being there to open the gate when you come down, either! Contact the Similkameen Indian Band for access.

No issues finding water in the areas I hunted. There are a couple lakes up there and plenty of creeks (although 2011 was a wet year, so could be different this year).

Good luck!

bandit
07-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately, you have to cross reserve land to use the roads, and in 2011 they charged $20 for hikers and $350 for hunters to open the gate. Don't count on them being there to open the gate when you come down, either! Contact the Similkameen Indian Band for access.

!

are they allowed to charge different amounts for different user groups? Isn't that called discrimination? What if you carry a takedown rifle in your pack and say you're a hiker?

fuzzybiscuit
07-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Is there a guide/outfitter that still works the area? I ran into one about ten years ago while hunting Mulies in the area. I think if memory serves me right he said that he was from Keremeos and had a cabin in the Park.

He was an older guy and I always wondered if he was still around.

Sorry to side track.

silvertipp
07-05-2013, 10:42 PM
This is a great place for horses,its not a bad hike in from juniper creek,theres a good trail all the way up Snowy Mtn,theres a decent cabin on Joe lake !st come,Snieder is the guide ,he wont be a problem,do some pre hunt trips and take a rod the lakes are good to fish good luck

kennyg826
07-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I contacted Schneider myself when I applied for the LEH. He was a very polite, courteous man. So yes, he's very much alive lol. I believe he has a horse riding location just beyond the "Red Bridge", if your in the area. Good luck. Never gone for the sheep there yet myself. Hoping one day.

BCOUTDOORED
07-24-2013, 08:00 AM
i had the draw last year and can tell you where the rams are for sure.we walked in and it was tough. too bad you are in the secound draw however contact me and ill show you photos of the rams and how to get to them .the indians wanted 500 bucks and they are totally unreliable and i am scottish anyways so we hoofed it in

aggiehunter
07-24-2013, 09:55 AM
what park are you guys talking about?