PDA

View Full Version : Oh-Oh...

IronNoggin
07-04-2013, 11:20 AM
These fish and shellfish are going to have to come from somewhere... :confused:

http://www.timescolonist.com/nuu-chah-nulth-awarded-right-to-commercial-fishery-after-court-fight-1.341631

Nog

winchester284
07-04-2013, 11:27 AM
This ruling should make it much more acceptable to sell food and ceremonial fish. Pretty hard to not get the personal use fish mixed in with the commercially caught ones. It's called an evolution of rights...

lip_ripper00
07-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes,.... but not for long.

G.A.
07-04-2013, 11:34 AM
have to laugh when i see them say old ways and tradition stuff. to bad they dont fish the old school traditional way since they make it so important to their ways. wonder if they had them methods back then. they want old ways with new white mans technology...funny, they want it all...lol

Island Idiots
07-04-2013, 01:17 PM
To bad the TC won't let you read it online unless you pay for it. I shot my budgie and I don;'t fish so I got no use for that rag.
Pretty soon the only ones fishing will be the commies and the natives. O canada!

adriaticum
07-04-2013, 01:46 PM
I agree with this. Why shouldn't native be allowed to fish commercially?
Then they would fall under the commercial fisheries act and follow open/closed season regulations like everyone else does.

The Hermit
07-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Then they would fall under the commercial fisheries act and follow open/closed season regulations like everyone else does.

A hahaha! That made my day... love a good sense of sarcastic humor, whether it is intended or not.

Sofa King
07-04-2013, 01:56 PM
don't they commercial fish already? Indians are always taking orders for salmon in the fuzzy peach in peachland and come back later with a truckfull of fish to fill the orders.

Vader
07-04-2013, 02:46 PM
don't they commercial fish already? Indians are always taking orders for salmon in the fuzzy peach in peachland and come back later with a truckfull of fish to fill the orders.

If you are buying out of the back of a pickup or van then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution..

If there is no market... there is no need to fish..

adriaticum
07-04-2013, 03:05 PM

Duallie, you need to repent and say 10 hail marys.

adriaticum
07-04-2013, 03:06 PM
A hahaha! That made my day... love a good sense of sarcastic humor, whether it is intended or not.

no joke. That's one opportunity where things could start working properly.
If they think they will get a license to fish commercially whenever they want and whatever they want they've got another thing coming.

solo
07-04-2013, 03:50 PM
I also agree, why shouldn't natives be able to get commercial licenses? I would rather see them have some mind of quota/licensed opening system instead of all the turmoil we have now. Seems like a step toward better management. Enlighten me.

winchester284
07-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I also agree, why shouldn't natives be able to get commercial licenses? I would rather see them have some mind of quota/licensed opening system instead of all the turmoil we have now. Seems like a step toward better management. Enlighten me.

They already can get a commercial license under the regular commercial fishing rules.... What they are looking for is a commercial fishing opportunity separate from the regular commercial fishing system.

This is a problem because it gives them the "opportunity" to mix their food and ceremonial allocations into the commercial catch and sell them easier (rather than just off the back of a pickup). It also ends up creating a 2 tier commercial system in which regular tax paying commercial fishermen can't be competitive.

The Hermit
07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
They already can get a commercial license under the regular commercial fishing rules.... What they are looking for is a commercial fishing opportunity separate from the regular commercial fishing system.

This is a problem because it gives them the "opportunity" to mix their food and ceremonial allocations into the commercial catch and sell them easier (rather than just off the back of a pickup). It also ends up creating a 2 tier commercial system in which regular tax paying commercial fishermen can't be competitive.

That is how I read it too. I don't believe that there will be any real consequences for anything they do... so no real change.

fowl language
07-04-2013, 04:20 PM
well folks the bcwf doesn,t have the same opinion as the times colonist. this was sent back to the previous court to have them finish the job of what was their rights. of course they would say they won and who wouldn,t believe them. anyone that wants to read the finding ,you will read something different from what the times colonist has to say....dale

winchester284
07-04-2013, 04:49 PM
well folks the bcwf doesn,t have the same opinion as the times colonist. this was sent back to the previous court to have them finish the job of what was their rights. of course they would say they won and who wouldn,t believe them. anyone that wants to read the finding ,you will read something different from what the times colonist has to say....dale

Can you post a link?

dryflyguy57
07-04-2013, 09:57 PM
They do already have quota , blackcod and halibut . There is a native buyback going on now and has been for some time . They are the sector that will eventually own the resource . Just watch the commercial prawn fishery , natives participate in the commercial opening and switch to food fishing without even pulling their gear out of the water .

Steeleco
07-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Simple solution, Don't buy it. I'd not eat fish before I bought it out of the back of someones truck for cheap. "Fraser river chicken" isn't hard to find when the fish are running. Season or no season.

dryflyguy57
07-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Simple solution, Don't buy it. I'd not eat fish before I bought it out of the back of someones truck for cheap. "Fraser river chicken" isn't hard to find when the fish are running. Season or no season.
I hear you Steeleco but most if not all the fish plants are buying thru the back door as they say . Their supply has has switched hands and they are doing what they have to stay in business and secure some product . I don't think the natives have to rely on you and me to make a buck from OUR sockeye . Pretty sad state of affairs but right in line with the "Aboriginal Fishing Strategy" implemented years ago by DFO . I certainly don't support any companies or individuals that are selling so called food fish .

Wild one
07-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Yes if no one buys it there is no market but most of the general public will buy it.

There are a lot of people who don't care because it is saving them $ and they don't see there actions as part of the problem.

Unfortunately there are more people willing to buy the cheap fish from FN than those who will not.

IronNoggin
07-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Bang On. And already happening.

Case in point: Area G Troll had 8,000 pieces stripped from their already diminutive quota this spring. That was handed over to a FN ONLY troll fishery. Many of the boats that participated mixed other species (personally witnessed) not allowed under regular License Conditions, yet were able to sell them. This FN fishery proceeded prior to the regular Area G fishery. When that opened of course all the FN boats simply switched hats and joined in on the regular opening as well. Area G is now off the water for the season, while FN boats fish away basically at will. And now the FN organizations are pressing HARD for an even greater slice of the pie to strengthen the Racially Segregated Fishery granted them this season.

This WILL be expanding to most, if not all salt-water fisheries in the very near future... :-?

Nog

ruger#1
07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Ya sure. like they do on the Fraser. Ding Dong , Wake up already. You go camp on Grassy Bar. All night drift netting. Rules are for every one.