PDA

View Full Version : bow hunting the bull river

mikeboehm
07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
I usually hunt 4-3 zone x. I've never been there. Any tips.where to camp. Terrain. Places to fill up on fuel

I'm bringing a guy from saskatchewan with me. He would like to hunt mountains because they have none there. He is taking me out in saskatchewan if I get my whitetail draw.

J_T
07-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Hey Mike, when are you hunting, what are you hunting?

Mikey Rafiki
07-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Fill up in the nearest town. There are buttloads of camps all over the river bottom. I avoid it for the most part except for the hard to access areas. It's a gong show with the amount of people up there.

Good Luck.

gutpile
07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Hay Mike , i heared there are lots of griz in there !

mikeboehm
07-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Sept 1-9 and hunting elk

E.V.B.H.
07-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Jaffery and fort steel are going to be your fuel stops. Probably average about a half hour to an hour each way from the bush depending on where you camp. Road hunting will be tough, I would suggest that you get out of the river bottom and camp as high as possible to help avoid some of the traffic. You might not be camping near water, a landing at the end of a road that leads up to some avi paths or a bowl would be a good start. Elk can be quite high this time of year as it can be hot down low. Hike lots and there are a ton of grizzlies there.

allan
07-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Get up high, away from people to find elk. I had no luck with any elk contact up the bull since I was hunting solo and could not get more the a couple km from roads. It was really hot when i was there and i had more luck intercepting elk that were coming down for water or grazing in the bottoms at night before heading up high for the day. Big bulls were not sounding when I was there but I had a spike bull come in once that was Hanging out with a group of cows, I only cow called and no hoochie mamas. Get good with a mouth call. I heard so many of those calls while I was out there. At 2pm when hunters are calling like crazy while standing in the middle of the road it's fun to screw with em!
Two years ago during the bow only season I ran into a grizzly during archery season. I surprised the g bear at about 75 yards, he turned and looked at me like a bird dog points for a couple seconds before turning and disappearing up the trail I wanted to keep going on.
Moral of the story, keep bear spray very close by. ( I have since redesigned my bear spray holster to a drop leg style that sits on my upper thigh under my pack waist belt so I never leave it on my pack when my pack comes off)
... I never finished my hike that night.

The Hermit
07-04-2013, 07:23 AM
It was a long time ago now but I'd bet this little honey hole is probably still holding a few bulls ... about twenty years ago I did a couple ten day solo hunts this area but it would be better with two guys because you need to carry your water up... think sheep hunt conditions! Spike camp and hike up to this little hanging valley way up high each day. Pick your way up the ridge in the dark and drop into the valley at first light, do your hunt and back out to spike camp each evening. My theory is that the bulls feel pretty safe in there at that time of year and stay there until the rut really heats up. From your spike camp you can also hunt the lower slopes of a huge alpine bowl with a dramatic ridge and awesome views that will amaze your flat lander buddy if nothing else. You won't need to a lot of extra fuel because it is in the motorized vehicle restricted area about sixty miles out. So, all this goes to suggest that you will need to be in pretty good shape or have horses.

There used to be some great big mulies up there too, oh yeah and as others have said it is great grizzly country for sure so easy access to your bear spray or your defender is a constant requirement as well as camping smart. A game cart would be very handy to take up as far as spike camp too. Interested?

Onesock
07-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Hermit-When were you ever in that kind of shape????????? Or were you having a dream?

Mikey Rafiki
07-04-2013, 10:17 AM
It was so hot last September. Need to go way up high sometimes above the treeline with the goats, and near any alpine creeks. They are great water source for you and the elk, plus helps keep the meat cool. Fortunately ours landed in a creek bottom at 9:00am opening day and the beers were in us by noon.

aggiehunter
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Hermit, Why did you carry water uphill when its' running downhill?

The Hermit
07-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Hermit-When were you ever in that kind of shape????????? Or were you having a dream?

Back when I was young enough to whoop your short arse!

The Hermit
07-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Hermit, Why did you carry water uphill when its' running downhill?

No water up in the bowl, and didn't want to hike out every day to the bottoms.

Onesock
07-29-2013, 09:58 PM
You have never been young enough to whip my arse,whiteman!

aggiehunter
07-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Well Hermy if theres no water there for you why would an Elk hang around there? Just a question now!

GoatGuy
07-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Find a road closure and look for an outfitter camp off the road closure.

There will be elk there and if you're there in bow season things won't be all stirred up.

GoatGuy
07-30-2013, 11:22 PM
It was a long time ago now but I'd bet this little honey hole is probably still holding a few bulls ... about twenty years ago I did a couple ten day solo hunts this area but it would be better with two guys because you need to carry your water up... think sheep hunt conditions! Spike camp and hike up to this little hanging valley way up high each day. Pick your way up the ridge in the dark and drop into the valley at first light, do your hunt and back out to spike camp each evening. My theory is that the bulls feel pretty safe in there at that time of year and stay there until the rut really heats up. From your spike camp you can also hunt the lower slopes of a huge alpine bowl with a dramatic ridge and awesome views that will amaze your flat lander buddy if nothing else. You won't need to a lot of extra fuel because it is in the motorized vehicle restricted area about sixty miles out. So, all this goes to suggest that you will need to be in pretty good shape or have horses.

There used to be some great big mulies up there too, oh yeah and as others have said it is great grizzly country for sure so easy access to your bear spray or your defender is a constant requirement as well as camping smart. A game cart would be very handy to take up as far as spike camp too. Interested?

Would pack beer or bring water from home. Seems to be something in the water around there that can affect the brain.

Weatherby Fan
07-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Go in mid October,you'll have the whole place to yourself......

The Hermit
07-31-2013, 12:22 AM
Well Hermy if theres no water there for you why would an Elk hang around there? Just a question now!

They are relatively safe up there and the trip down to water isn't very onerous for them ... I've decided it is "Be Nicer Week" so I will fore go the snide comments for now. ;-)

Onesock
07-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Good one Hermy. Now you made me feel bad. A little!